Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

books on golf

Options
  • 26-05-2015 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Hey does anyone know if there is any good books or videos for golf instruction...Im having a lot of problems with swing particularly my drive..just can't hit it straight ...it seems to fade right..I have got lessons but can't afford to keep getting them ...especially after paying for membership

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I'll kick it off. Colin Montgomery's 'the thinking man's guide to golf'.
    A book which explores and explains the main facets of the game in every day terms and also provides some tips which are beneficial and easy to apply.
    It can be purchased cheaply enough on Amazon although I have got it from the local library on a number of occasions when I wish to brush up on some things.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

Would this be a good instructional book for a beginner..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Would this be a good instructional book for a beginner..

I'd recommend it. It's not too technical and has plenty of photos. It explains grip,aim,stance and ball position in lay man's term. I've books by Faldo and Mickelson, however they're mainly making my coffee table look good.
    I normally revert to Montgomery if I want to rectify a problem or practice something.

I will look into that one thanks ...also I was told about "golf is not a game of perfect "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

'Perfect' is psychobable to confuse the mind. No swing instruction in it at all.
    For a beginner to golf books, anything by Leadbetter is very good.
    'Swing like a pro' is very good if you want something more techical or you have some scientific background. Not for all though.

• Advertisement

I ordered the a swing by leadbetter ..Has anyone read this Is it any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Golf365

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
    by Bob Rotella
    Do read this, it does not get into swing mechanics but it does help with belief & commitment to each shot.
    For golf instruction YouTube Mark Crossfield :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Most "instruction" books will cover the same topics, so I suggest you browse and find one that appeals to you in how things are explained and illustrated. There are also some CD/video options - Greg Norman did a good one.

All that said, the original and possibly still the best is Ben Hogan's "Five Fundamentals of Modern Golf". Concise, clear and probably the basis for most books written since.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I liked and use Golf's Golden Rule from the Knightsbridge school of golf.

Some good videos online too.

It's about the impact zone mainly but contains some very good and straightforward advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

For short game, obviuosly.

master-the-finesse-swing-and-lower-your-score-234x300.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Tom Watson the timeless swing.

Really good book and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PaddyPope

Got this as a gift at Christmas & haven't put it down. Full of incredibly useful tips and techniques. http://www.easons.com/p-13006-the-complete-golf-manual.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

For short game, obviuosly.

master-the-finesse-swing-and-lower-your-score-234x300.jpg

Would people recommend this book? Saw it in local waterstones last week but it nearly 40 Euro so just wondering if it worth that money?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭BOB81

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Would people recommend this book? Saw it in local waterstones last week but it nearly 40 Euro so just wondering if it worth that money?

I bought it and although its pricey can recommend it - I switched to his chipping and pitching methods and they have helped me for sure, chipping/pitching is the only part of my game that has been in anyway consistent over the past couple of seasons and i'd recommend it for that alone. Having said his chipping method is not reinventing the wheel to a great extent (hands slightly forward, narrow slightly open stance and ball off right heel) and the pitching piece does require a fair bit of work if you want to get your yardages spot on (still a work in progress for me!). Overall though I've bought a few golf instruction books and this is the one that has helped me the most I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

7 laws of the Golf Swing is excellent.

http://www.nickbradleygolf.com/the-7-laws-of-golf-swing/

Advertisement