Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Hop House 13 - what's the deal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I figure this happens to Guinness mid strength too. I've had it a few places and it can taste quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

This hop house flowers whatever...is totally disgusting
    I drank 1 then had to throw a Guinness on top to get the filth off my breath...I don't even drink Guinness but I got lured into a zero choice bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dvdman1 wrote: »
    This hop house flowers whatever...is totally disgusting
    I drank 1 then had to throw a Guinness on top to get the filth off my breath...I don't even drink Guinness but I got lured into a zero choice bar.

You'd swear it was actual poison. It may be a tad boring but it's not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Been sold out of several bars (Dublin city centre) i've been in over the past month or so. Delighted to see its selling so well.
    I've not been drinking much of it myself, apart from the odd one here and there, but a lot of my mates are getting stuck into it.

My Father is in the bar game and they cant get enough of it in his place either and he cant get what he wants in. They cant supply the demand.

Great to see -vivaDiageo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Had a pint in Dublin at the weekend, cant believe how terrible it was. It must have been a bad pint, no way it could be that horrible surely.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Patww79 wrote: »

They're now so rare they're far from "normal". A normal pub doesn't have 8 taps and the same 8 in bottles anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@L1011

I keep hearing this on this forum that "zero choice pubs" are far from normal. From my experience (ok I'm only in Ireland at most twice a year these days) most pubs outside Dublin have zero craft beer.

What's the situation in Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lucena wrote: »
    @L1011

I keep hearing this on this forum that "zero choice pubs" are far from normal. From my experience (ok I'm only in Ireland at most twice a year these days) most pubs outside Dublin have zero craft beer.

Download the Beoir Finder ap.
    Very useful tool.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

@L1011

One pub* has Diageo/Heineken/C&C only, the rest have multiple craft taps and all have an acceptable range on bottles.

*I will admit I haven't been in the GAA club's bar recently enough to include it, so it could be two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The Bachelor is a "Normal Pub", no craft, but they do have, bizarrely, re-badged Murphy's being sold as a house-stout.

Hophouse 13, Cute Hoor and Orchard Thieves notwithstanding.

I hate this kind of sh1te. As a barman, you have to respect the customer's wishes and serve them what they want. If the barman really wants to promote craft beer, it's better to gently educate people who might seem interested (wee sample if customer says, "What's that beer like?") as opposed to this Comic Book Guy sneery attitude.

It's probably more and exercise in 'I'm better than you' than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

Slattsy wrote: »
    Been sold out of several bars (Dublin city centre) i've been in over the past month or so. Delighted to see its selling so well.
    I've not been drinking much of it myself, apart from the odd one here and there, but a lot of my mates are getting stuck into it.

My Father is in the bar game and they cant get enough of it in his place either and he cant get what he wants in. They cant supply the demand.

Great to see -vivaDiageo

You don't really drink it, but are delighted to see it selling so well? I don't really follow you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I hate this kind of sh1te. As a barman, you have to respect the customer's wishes and serve them what they want. If the barman really wants to promote craft beer, it's better to gently educate people who might seem interested (wee sample if customer says, "What's that beer like?") as opposed to this Comic Book Guy sneery attitude.

It's probably more and exercise in 'I'm better than you' than anything else.
    Yeah it's an awful attitude. Internally I'm a beer snob but only towards beer I drink myself. I've always been conscience not to sneer at what my mates drink. Eventually people will come around. A snobby attitude just makes people not want to change or try something different.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah it's an awful attitude. Internally I'm a beer snob but only towards beer I drink myself. I've always been conscience not to sneer at what my mates drink. Eventually people will come around. A snobby attitude just makes people not want to change or try something different.

Yep, I'll always try to get my friends to try what I'm having, but they are mostly having Guinness, Bulmers or some macro lager.

One friend always asks me for a recommendation for a stout or porter and will sometimes drink it, or sometimes not.

Others will take a sip of an IPA, make a face, and go back to their lager.

Meh, I spent long enough being a LOI snob and getting nowhere, now I just enjoy what I'm drinking, let others enjoy theirs and if they want to ask questions then I answer them.

Yep, I'll always try to get my friends to try what I'm having, but they are mostly having Guinness, Bulmers or some macro lager.

One friend always asks me for a recommendation for a stout or porter and will sometimes drink it, or sometimes not.

Others will take a sip of an IPA, make a face, and go back to their lager.

Meh, I spent long enough being a LOI snob and getting nowhere, now I just enjoy what I'm drinking, let others enjoy theirs and if they want to ask questions then I answer them.

LOI?

Tipperary Southern & District Football League is where it's at these days! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd consider it far more palatable than Hop House.
    My local barman scoffs at anyone who orders it so I tend to avoid it, he's a big crafty head.
    Your local barman must not be cut out for his job. I worked behind the counter for years and would never be like that. Might have a joke with regulars, give my opinion if warranted, but scoffing at customers, that kind of attitude would put me off ever setting foot in the bar again.

LOI?

Tipperary Southern & District Football League is where it's at these days! :P

Hipster!

I said it before and I'll say it again.

Craft beer drinkers and LoI fans are peas in a pod. Both are seen as weird consumers of a bit of a left-field product that no-one really trusts.

And yet it used to be the Harp league!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

L1011 wrote: »
    One pub* has Diageo/Heineken/C&C only, the rest have multiple craft taps and all have an acceptable range on bottles.

*I will admit I haven't been in the GAA club's bar recently enough to include it, so it could be two.

I assume it's the Roost that is still holding out? Or the Newtown Inn?

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Curious about that myself!

Does that mean that Brady's and Caulfield's (assuming they still exist) are serving craft beer? They used to be 'old man' pubs when I lived there a good few years back.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Not a regular, but The Roost hasn't had any craft beer any time I've been in

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

@Patww 79

Not a Heineken or a lager drinker, but surprised by this. I've heard of Guinness varying in quality/taste depending on the pub/time of day/busyness of pub etc... but never lager.

Is this specific to Heineken, or do all lagers vary from pub to pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Curious about that myself!

Does that mean that Brady's and Caulfield's (assuming they still exist) are serving craft beer? They used to be 'old man' pubs when I lived there a good few years back.

Sorry for OT..

Bradys has Franciscan Well, McGargles and I think Kellys Mountain Brew.

Caulfields (now McMahons) has Kellys Mountain Brew last I saw.

Roost has only macros. Brady's has three or four craft taps in the lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I was in my local last night & noticed that the majority of people were drinking HH13. The boss told me that it has gone way beyond the 'honeymoon period' when he expected a bit of a spike in sales, & is now outselling all other draught lagers & is just a shade off outselling Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I was in my local last night & noticed that the majority of people were drinking HH13. The boss told me that it has gone way beyond the 'honeymoon period' when he expected a bit of a spike in sales, & is now outselling all other draught lagers & is just a shade off outselling Guinness.

like it, although many i have met dont

Advertisement