Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Hop House 13 - what's the deal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭janiejones

I liked it. I prefer Smitwicks Pale Ale and I definitely prefer a whole load of craft beers to it but i like it compared to heineken/budweiser. Due to it being Diageo (boo, hiss) it's readily available in most pubs so if i'm with friends moving from place to place I can rely on it being there. Can't with Franciscan Well yet. Also, it's not too strong so you can drink it for a night. Most of the Crafts I really like are too strong to have on a night out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tried it, very bland, in terms of big brands trying something different, Cute Hoor by Heineken was better. If I got stuck in a generic only pub, I don't think I would touch Hop House again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Very insipid, tasted like someone had thrown a shot of proper pale ale into a pint of Budweiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Tried it the other day. Would pick over the likes of Budweiser/Heineken/Carlsberg/Corona etc. But would probably pick a Guinness over that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Would echo a lot of whats already been said.
    It tastes like someone chucked a hop teabag into it for 10 seconds and took it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I managed to have a pint recently. It's the nicest lager I've tasted so far being honest. And I haven't just had heino/bud/etc. As far as lagers go it's pretty impressive. If you put a gun to my head and said drink a lager, I'd easily choose it over brewdogs offerings and most of the german one's i've tried. It's a top quality showing of the style. I'm mystified at the hate. If you don't like any lager you obviously won't like it. If you're an IPA dieahard or a fiend for nothing but imperial stouts then it's not going to be up your street. But it's a great great lager. Fair balls to diageo. They did something right. Long may it continue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

strobe wrote: »
    . Fair balls to diageo. They did something right. Long may it continue.

I quite like lager, this just isn't a nice one, there are plenty though I would have at home or on a night out. I think someone hit the nail on the head with a hop tea bag dropped in at the last minute.

Its like they had a mediocre lager and then someone from marketing said, IPAs are big, we don't have time to make one so throw some hops in and it might work to trick people.

It didn't work IMO but if you like it then enjoy it, I won't be buying it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

glasso wrote: »
    a lot of ipa type beers have a soapy type taste. even tho this beer isn't a real ipa type beer.

Haven't tasted HH13 yet. Is it a lager with a hint of IPA taste? I'm an IPA fan and whilst I like O'Hara's and other similar local offerings my favourites by a long way are Sierra Nevada IPA and Brewdog Punk IPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Haven't tasted HH13 yet. Is it a lager with a hint of IPA taste? I'm an IPA fan and whilst I like O'Hara's and other similar local offerings my favourites by a long way are Sierra Nevada IPA and Brewdog Punk IPA.

The hint of IPA is very very subtle. The problem for me with it was that the actual underlying lager tasted bad. Not bland like most macros, I wouldn't mind that, but it actually tasted bad.
    I'd describe the flavour as boiled spud water - it's a kind of stale, musty flavour again subtle enough but there.
    I actually want to try it again to confirm this incase I got a bad one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

slayerking wrote: »
    The hint of IPA is very very subtle. The problem for me with it was that the actual underlying lager tasted bad. Not bland like most macros, I wouldn't mind that, but it actually tasted bad.
    I'd describe the flavour as boiled spud water - it's a kind of stale, musty flavour again subtle enough but there.

Thats a good description of what mine tasted like too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It may have been a case of it not moving fast enough in that pub; it seems to suffer heavily from sitting in lines like all other Diageo made lagers do.

The pub I get it in occasionally would have it going fairly quickly and I don't get mustiness from it but I doubt I'd risk it in some other places.

Had a few on Friday night. As an alternative to Heino/Bed/Coors etc it was good but it's not something I would seek out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

just had it there. actually enjoyed it. light and has a fruity taste to it. i would have it again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This surprises me. I tried it last weekend & found it a very refreshing drink. I'm not usually a lager drinker, but liked the freshness & fruitiness of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Try some of the Galway Bay or Eight Degrees seasonal (Full Irish, Gasman etc outside their base range) offerings. IMO better than Punk or SN. A couple of years ago I thought the same as you did, but Ireland has caught up finally

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

snowblind wrote: »
    Try some of the Galway Bay or Eight Degrees seasonal (Full Irish, Gasman etc outside their base range) offerings. IMO better than Punk or SN. A couple of years ago I thought the same as you did, but Ireland has caught up finally

This.
    Or the more recent efforts from Trouble: Hop Priority, Hidden Agenda, Fallen Idol (dark rather than pale), Whistle Blower and Chasing the Dragon have all been up there with the imported IPAs.

Certainly, Galway Bay, 8 Degrees, Trouble and Kinnegar have cracked the American style PA and IPA.
    Anyone think of other Irish beers for the lovers of Brewdog and Sierra Nevada?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Kinnegar black bucket

Got a couple weeks old bottle of Galway Bay Full Sail recently and damn if it wasn't one of the nicer IPA's I've had this year, and I had a bunch of hyped up american ones when visiting there. Couple of years ago I thought it was a lame beer, they have come a long way...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anyone think of other Irish beers for the lovers of Brewdog and Sierra Nevada?
    I'd put White Hag's Bran & Sceolan in this league too, and perhaps even Independent Pale Ale as well.

Thanks for the Sierra Nevada and Brewdog Punk IPA alternative suggestions. Makes for a nice "to do" list :P

...Anyone think of other Irish beers for the lovers of Brewdog and Sierra Nevada?

Take this to another thread please. Let's stay on the Guinness Hop House 13 topic here.

Thanks,

tHB

• Advertisement

can you buy it in the shops. would be nice on a hot day methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Hop House 13 is okay- however some of these craft beers are really muck imo. I'm a huge fan of Birra Morena- any craft beers that are as smooth/nice as this?

Can you see my post three above this about staying on topic?

If you want to chat about Birra Morena - start another thread.

tHB

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Tasted like a lager mixed with passion fruit juice. Didn't like it at all. Had one pint and that was enough.. Having said that not a ale or sweet drink fan at all so probably to be expected.

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Tasted like a lager mixed with passion fruit juice. Didn't like it at all. Had one pint and that was enough.. Having said that not a ale or sweet drink fan at all so probably to be expected.

Nick

yea i detected the fruity hit in it alright

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

As a lover of a lot of craft ale type stuff, I like this Hophouse 13. But I think it'll be quite hard to break the habits of lifetimes with people who are into Bud/Hieneken/Coors etc. Is it geared towards that market or to attract craft ale drinkers back to Diageo I'm wondering?

Anyhow when me mates ask me what it's like I just say 'it's like lager with flavour'!!

And to be honest I think having that extra flavour is what puts some people off it...

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

I had a few pints of this last weekend, nothing special imo but would, if there was a limited beer choice take it over heineken, carling etc.

I had a few pints of this last weekend, nothing special imo but would, if there was a limited beer choice take it over heineken, carling etc.

I agree with this. Hop House 13 - "The beer that's in between" :o

It's a mass market lager which has a hint of IPA for those of us who would prefer a nice IPA but can't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Abhoth

I like it. I can imagine that anyone expecting something like an IPA based on the name would be disappointed because it is very light on bittering hops. It's a lager with some nice finishing hops, and at least for me it does that well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Can you get this in an off licence?

Advertisement