Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in the camper

Options
  • 22-07-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

What is the best option for Broadband in the camper, I was using my phone as an access point but viewed a few webpages and they took over €40 out of my credit so I guess thats not an option for me anymore.

Just wondering what would be best option for the odd weekend away and to have BB for the odd lookup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

m8 wrote: »
    What is the best option for Broadband in the camper, I was using my phone as an access point but viewed a few webpages and they took over €40 out of my credit so I guess thats not an option for me anymore.

Just wondering what would be best option for the odd weekend away and to have BB for the odd lookup.

Sounds like you were outside the RoI. Data roaming is horrendously expensive, a serious rip-off.

When we are away 'foreign' we turn off data roaming and rely on free WiFi hotspots.

At home we use our mobiles as hotspots and that's 'free' within out 'bundles'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Pay as you go data sim in an ipad is great. On vodafone you get 10 Gb for €20. Otherwise a mifi modem with the same card and you can hook up 5 devices to it at any one time. If you are roaming in europe its €61 for 500mb which is a lot of general browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Sounds like you were outside the RoI. Data roaming is horrendously expensive, a serious rip-off.

When we are away 'foreign' we turn off data roaming and rely on free WiFi hotspots.

At home we use our mobiles as hotspots and that's 'free' within out 'bundles'

Yes you would think I was out foreign with the charges but I was in Wexford and was browsing for about 15 minutes is all. Vodafone say it was a ligit charge as I exceeded the 50MB limit which I doubt I did. Daylight robbery tbh.

*Kol* wrote: »
    Pay as you go data sim in an ipad is great. On vodafone you get 10 Gb for €20. Otherwise a mifi modem with the same card and you can hook up 5 devices to it at any one time. If you are roaming in europe its €61 for 500mb which is a lot of general browsing.

Is there a time limit on this as I would not be using every weekend but still that less than half what they charged me. Thinking strongly of changing my phone to another provider as well..

*kol* I can't see that on the Vodafone website?
    On vodafone you get 10 Gb for €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,893 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes you would think I was out foreign with the charges but I was in Wexford and was browsing for about 15 minutes is all. Vodafone say it was a ligit charge as I exceeded the 50MB limit which I doubt I did. Daylight robbery tbh.

It may have been because you where tethering which isn't allowed on a lot of plans.
    Is there a time limit on this as I would not be using every weekend but still that less than half what they charged me. Thinking strongly of changing my phone to another provider as well..

Check each of the mobile companies offers, as they change a lot, to see which will give the best value. But it'll more than likely be cheaper to buy a dongle or mifi modem than using your phone package.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

*kol* I can't see that on the Vodafone website?

If you get a SIM card from the vodafone shop you can put €20 credit on it and straight away add a monthly data "add on". It's actually 5Gb (I am sure it was 10 Gb before).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have a data package?

From here
    The data bundle in your price plan now includes the data used when your iPhone is connected as a modem. If you do use tethering without a data bundle or an add on, it can be expensive.

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you have a data package?

From here

Yes I was tethering ok but not aware this was not allowed.

It's a pity the guy in Vodafone didn't tell me that as I would have understood why the charge was so high.

I must try add a data bundle or maybe look at other provider offers as Vodafone are hard to deal with the support is crap where three has great support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Vodafone are the pits, the tethering nonsense is highway robbery same device, same, mast, same backbone, same server yet 100 times the price. I tether on my three phone all the time no extra charge.

Vodafone are also the most expensive network they call me up all the time to 'entice' me back to their network every plan they can offer is more than twice as expensive for my use.

I barred their sales number, suddenly I was getting sales calls from a liverpool number so i barred that, then I started getting sales calls from the vodafone tech support number which I have now barred.

No sense in signing up for a data plan 12 months of the year with vodafone for occasionally using in the camper.

You could have a look at 48months.ie - 10 euro gets you all texts, 300 mobile minutes, 1gb internet, 60 landline minutes. You can then buy extra gigabytes of internet at 3 euro. alternatively theres a 20 euro plan that gives 5gb internet.

http://48months.ie/deal

You have to pretend you're 18 lol

• Advertisement

Thanks Paddyp I will move from vodafone no matter what as their customer service is crap like their charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Thanks Paddyp I will move from vodafone no matter what as their customer service is crap like their charges.

Our son is on 48months for the last 7 months its on the network, a subsidiary of telefonica its been brilliant, I have three more weeks of three and I'm changing over, same with the better half when her contract is up. Wife was paying about 50 euro per month with vodafone for less than she'd get for a tenner on 48. Son was in italy at easter I was able to get a roaming add on for €2.50 for a months that gave him free minutes to call us to call him back, 50 irish text + 300 irish minutes + 10 days roaming in italy and calling home - €12.50

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭outstation42

Paddyp, I presumed you needed to be with 48months for the duration but I see its about age!? Is there a tie in and how do you prove you're 18? How odd they only want such a short age range.

We are with 3 and fairly heavy data users (tethered plus Skype etc), wondering if it would work out for us as we have to be careful with calls and often need more than 20e...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Most of the companies have a WIFI mobile dongle for about 20 euros a month. I use one (Three) and have tried the 02 as well. I use it all over the RoI and as long your within range of a mast it's usually fine. I run the laptop off a 350w inverter - usually best to just charge the laptop rather than run the laptop and inverter. (my laptop's a 20V)

Although I hate Three and their support, I'll have to stick with them as I can't get the other suppliers where I live.

When I get to the continent, I'll just use the hotspots and a VPN for security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Paddyp, I presumed you needed to be with 48months for the duration but I see its about age!? Is there a tie in and how do you prove you're 18? How odd they only want such a short age range.

We are with 3 and fairly heavy data users (tethered plus Skype etc), wondering if it would work out for us as we have to be careful with calls and often need more than 20e...

Paddyp closed his account so don't be waiting for a reply :-p

Not sure 48 is the best if you're using a lot of data, what plan are you on at the moment and how many gb are you using? How much exta a month would you be spending on calls, and is that mobile minutes outside or landline minutes. 48 is a telefonica company so the 48month things is there so as not to openly compete with 02 they don't seem to enforce it.
    odds_on wrote: »
    Most of the companies have a WIFI mobile dongle for about 20 euros a month.

Depends on how much data you're going to use for around 20-25 a month elsewhere you'd have a mobile plan with all calls, all texts and 5gb data rather than just data. Or emobiles plan €32 all calls, all texts 15gb internet 30day contract. Tethering makes more sense for a lot of people than paying two bills.

Oh did he- he was very busy here before.

I see- 02 telefonica too I guess. We';re just payg 20 euro a month (in fact I think its slightly cheaper than the 20pm contract with 3). You get free 3 calls, any network texts, any network weekend calls and unlimited data- which is fairly unlimited.

The Three unlimited offer doesn't apply to tethering in their terms and conditions. Even though they seem to allow it. If you plan on pulling down more than 10GB p/m though you'll draw attention to yourself and perhaps get booted. Best set up a VPN if you're planning to download a lot.

If you're using a lot of data outstation I don't think theres a better offer unless your paying more than €12 per month in extra calls then emobile might be better.
    The Three unlimited offer doesn't apply to tethering in their terms and conditions. Even though they seem to allow it. If you plan on pulling down more than 10GB p/m though you'll draw attention to yourself and perhaps get booted. Best set up a VPN if you're planning to download a lot.

Best to setup a vpn if you're using any public access point and hope that the vpn company aren't intercepting all your password/bank details etc. :pac:

Three is 15gb after which they may throttle:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/88472973

How's Three for coverage in the Stix?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Anyone seen this setup?
    http://www.motorhomewifi.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭holyhutzpa

Which part of that setup interests you? As far as I can see there is directional wifi antennae, and 3g solutions. The directional wifi yokes wouldn't interest me too much. As for 3G, probably better looking at 4G at this stage...

A 4G USB dongle would be a pretty good solution if you need it for a laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I thought the roaming Europa sim was interesting,40 stg for the SIM and €3 per day

Oh strange, they seem to almost encourage it! We aren't downloading loads but wouldn't want to have to watch our data usage. Sometimes 3 of us have 3 deals going at once too! My eldest uses a vps but i am not sure what a VPN would do for us?

We've found 3 fine in the stix :) Had some crazy bad luck lately- am on replacement phone now (broke) and right after the call to you last my netbook was stolen (but returned yay), its broken now though!

moodrater wrote: »
    If you're using a lot of data outstation I don't think theres a better offer unless your paying more than €12 per month in extra calls then emobile might be better.

Best to setup a vpn if you're using any public access point and hope that the vpn company aren't intercepting all your password/bank details etc. :pac:

Three is 15gb after which they may throttle:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/88472973

I don't tend to spend more than 12e in extra calls but sometimes it may be more economical to do so- you can't call everywhere at the weekend! What's the e mobile deal?

I don't tend to spend more than 12e in extra calls but sometimes it may be more economical to do so- you can't call everywhere at the weekend! What's the e mobile deal?

Select unlimited:
    http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/plans/postpay/detailsCallTextBrowse/?gid=48

Oh strange, they seem to almost encourage it! We aren't downloading loads but wouldn't want to have to watch our data usage. Sometimes 3 of us have 3 deals going at once too! My eldest uses a vps but i am not sure what a VPN would do for us?

I went in to switch contract one day and they told me it wasn't supported. :confused: So I just didn't bother.
    I'm holding out until a network provides no roaming in the EU, or at least the English speaking countries. I seriously doubt RF costs extra given the point of origin, I think it's just companies charging because they can really imho, especially on international networks.

Maybe it's the same thing I haven't researched it a whole lot. A VPN is a proxy host for handling the internet data. Using a third party means your contract provider can't see where you are going or what you're doing. For intents and purposes it makes all traffic look like a data package so they can't tell if you are downloading handset data or tethering/hotspot. So it's much harder for them to declare you are in breach of contract using unlimited data for tethering and not the prescribed handset limit.
    We've found 3 fine in the stix :) Had some crazy bad luck lately- am on replacement phone now (broke) and right after the call to you last my netbook was stolen (but returned yay), its broken now though!

Shame. :(

VPN is really important with public wifi as anyone can intercept the data and extract login, credit card information that you are sending to sites, they can also replicate your session id and use websites your signed into as if it was your own.

As a tertiary benefit some VPN connections can compress the data so you use less allowance, for stuff thats already compresses e.g. audio, video properly compressed images the compression will be negligible but for general browsing you might see savings of 20-30% which can be usefeul if you have small cap. Opera turbo does similar as does Chrome beta. Opera have a service called opera max in beta at the moment that will make it easy, you may see even higher savings. I wouldn't trust a lot of vpn companies with my data I would trust opera.
    http://blogs.opera.com/news/2013/12/us-android-users-help-us-test-opera-max-beta-new-data-savings-app/

Advertisement