Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UGC and queues

Options
  • 23-01-2005 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

They already have tonnes of cash desks. On Friday evening I was in, the queue stretched out of UGC as far back of the entrace to the arcade in the Mall.
    Of the 12 desks, 5 were staffed.

Same in the food area. 4 cash tills. 1 worker on popcorn, 1 on till.

They're just short staffed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

usually just credit card book.. much easier!

Not when they charge 60c extra per ticket. It would be cheaper for them to make that free than hire new employees.

Also, AFAIK, you can only buy full-price tickets (i.e. €8.50) if you CC book. Not much good for a poor 'lil student (€6.00)

That means that a ticket normally costing me 6 would cost me 8.60 (Increase of 43%)

no i booked tickets Fri nite and it was student rate..

How can you prove you're a student? Whenever you go upto the desk they need valid ISIC. I gave them one that was expired a week and they rejected it. If i was a student in late December, i'm still going to be one in early January. Also, look at my DOB. I'm 17 for gods sake.

• Advertisement

I dunno.. I booked 4 student tickets.. collected the tix and was never asked for id! had it on me just in case and we were all students.. no messing.. no queues for the pick up machine.. and straight for the pop-corn! much better I'd say!!

Righto. Cheers for that. /me takes daddy's CC (remember, under 18!)

How can they stop me going to an 18s film then, btw?

hmm that's a good one! I dunno.. maybe when they take the ticket from you at the escalater.. they might ask for id..

oh and remember you must bring the credit card with you to collect the tickets..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have an unlimited card and the fact that you are charged extra to prebook with it is rediculous. Take away that charge and things would be so much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

if ugc, just put a teensy little more effort into their unlimited card-holders subscription service, it would help things like this greatly.
    im an unlimited member, ironic i know seeing as how i complain about ugc so much(i got it as a gift, i wouldnt willingly buy one for myself).
    things like, free credit card booking, weekly emails of schedules and the like, free bi-monthly ugc magazine mailings, dedicated unlimited booking service(on the phone and in the cinema) and dedicated unlimited members only screenings(not just reccomended screenings) would help greatly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

Online credit card bookings are great. Whenever I go to the cinema I always buy childrens tickets even if it's for an 18's film or whatever! Works like a charm every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I've been in a few very long queues in UGC and, to be fair to them, I've never been waiting longer than 15 minutes. They keep things moving very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

why don't they have a system for plastic money for all/students. people under 18... ? don't doesn't give you credit as such but allows you use it to buy online etc with what ever money you have in your account...

the queues do go very quick!
    but when you see them its put you off especially on a weekend night

why couldn't they have ticket machines like at dart stations wouldn't be very fast but wouldn't need the staff?

but the amounts of times when i've just decided to go to the cinema to kill time and i've done a trip from ugc to the savoy and ended in in the savoy...

defo should get rid of charges and do what yerman above suggested...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If i was a student in late December, i'm still going to be one in early January.
    Not necessarily - the ISIC is valid till December even for students who graduated the preceding summer (in other words, you get it in one academic year and it's got a valid date till half way through the next, even if you're no longer a student).
    Also, look at my DOB. I'm 17 for gods sake.
    I'd take that point though. Isn't there some sort of "kids" (as in under 18) ticket?

(I only went to the cinema twice between 1979 and 1994, when I was 18/19 so I don't remember whether there was such a thing when I was under 18)

Advertisement