Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'team america'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I can't wait to see it! Friday is too far away.

Ping-pong Ping-pong Ping-pong! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cremo wrote:
    how are they bush lovers, have you not see the south park episode gaint dousche and turd sandwich, honestly the best episode in series 8

Nah, the best in series 8 is the final christmas special one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Brilliant. Loved every minute of it - Thought it was much better then the southpark movie. How come they were taking the piss out of both sides of the argument? i.e Bush but also moore and the actors who spoke out against the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

loved it the whole cinema was in stitches.

espically at these parts
    gary pukeing, the riverdance walking, the "plastic" surgery

the songs are not as funny as ones featured on south park or baseketball (another trey parker movie) "I'm so wonley!" but they were still great and entertaining.

a must see,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

good film, great puppetry and loads of unexpected humour and best of all brilliant songs!
    i downloaded a coupla tracks from the album, great stuff!
    i expected the film to be a lot more specific on bush/kerry bashing....but this way is probably better in the long run, thought the 'america f*** yeah' was pure brilliance.
    thought the moore/penn bashing was a little stupid, but the rest were humourous

does anyone know if the version released here was uncut, or like in the U.S cut slightly ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

just got home a cupla hours ago from seein it! it was pure class! best film ive seen in a very long time. some didnt seem to like it, maybe it was better coz i had a few pints on me.
    i was in stitches at the start with the fight scene in paris between the team america dude and the al-qaeida dude. Team America, F**k YEAH!

EDIT: oh yeah, the whole of UGC went quiet durin the bit where everyone drowned. think it was a bit too soon after the whole tsunami thing and ppl were afraid to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

Cremo wrote:
    loved it the whole cinema was in stitches.

espically at these parts
    gary pukeing

hehe, I was also in bits at that scene:

Movie Clip 300KB

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Given the first few posts on this thread, I wasn't expecting the movie to be half as good as it turned out to be. The cinema audience was nearly constantly laughing from the outset with the clichéd Paris, right down to the boy singing "Frere Jacques".

The puppetry worked very well and they were spot on mocking its limitations too - great scene when
    the woman tries to point to the lead's heart but can't quite manage it and looks at her hand with annoyance

The songs worked well and I can't get the brilliant "America - F*ck yeah!" song out of my head.

The film works well, as the the Ticket pointed out, because it lambasts both sides. Parker and Stone are equal opportunist satirists. It's also a great pastiche of the action movie genre, kicking popcorn hacks like Michael Bey the crap they deserve. Well worth seeing.

The_B_Man wrote:
    EDIT: oh yeah, the whole of UGC went quiet durin the bit where everyone drowned. think it was a bit too soon after the whole tsunami thing and ppl were afraid to laugh.
    yeh that happened here too, but you can't blame trey and matt unless they are physkick (abismal spelling lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

For me the film was fantastic, much better than what people where posting at the start of this thread. I second what ixoy says and one of my favourite bits was
    Gary Johnston giving his warning sign from the back of the jeep

100% recommendation from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hehe yeah with the arms waving.

I nearly pissed myself laughing at the bit with the "panthers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

have to say i thought it was brilliant. the songs were class and over-all it was just a very funny film.

couldnt watch the puking scene....unfortunately im a sympathetic vomiter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It was hilarious - the vomiting scene was fantastic, as were the panthers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ijc

I really loved Gary's impassioned speech at the end. Stone and Parker have a real talent for that: - Using obscene imagery to make a good point!
    "Act fast!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

aye the Cock - Pussy - Asshole speech was the highlight of the movie for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

i cant wait to see this movie now! ive heard nothing but good things about this movie so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttt Dammmmmmonnnnnnn!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I really enjoyed this film except for the vomiting...not really my thing. Loved all the songs! America F*ck Yeah! running through my head all day....oh and "you need a montage, montage"

There was one point where I thought my bf was going to fall off his seat laughing.

There's only one more thing to say really....."Matt Damon!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

lol, you know, if parker and stone were europeans, they would be hailed as satirical kings, and up there with the likes of Chris Morris or Rory Bremnar.
    This is probably the only time you'll ever see Rory Bremner described as a "satirical king". Enjoy it while it lasts, people.

Personally, I found Team America quite dull. There was altogether far too much dead time in the movie - times when there was noone pushing jokes or pushing the plot forward. Which is a shame because, considering the amount of things they were lampooning (Hollywood action movies, media hysteria, do-good celebrities, the political situation), I would have thought there was a lot more joke-fodder than this.

Still though: the puking was amazingly well done.

Also slightly pissed that the entire cinema burst out laughing right as the film began (And I mean RIGHT as the film began, before the "Paris, France" subtitle), and yet not ONE person giggled during the "Montage" song (which was probably one of the best things about the movie). I know it's an old song, but Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

meh....montage wasnt that great(listening to it here on my iriver), but everybody does tend to have different favourites.
    personally my favourite is the end of an act(the pearl harbour song)
    with im so ronery and america f*** yeah coming close seconds.
    i do think the movie is very group orientated(most comedies are), which is why its so successfull in cinemas.
    not too sure how popular it would be on its home release.

• Advertisement

montage was great because it was a complete piss take on that song in vice city that goes like " push it to the limit " and " crash the gate "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Also slightly pissed that the entire cinema burst out laughing right as the film began (And I mean RIGHT as the film began, before the "Paris, France" subtitle), and yet not ONE person giggled during the "Montage" song (which was probably one of the best things about the movie). I know it's an old song, but Jesus.

This happened when I watched it too. I mean, wtf were the laughing at?
    Also, I don't think half of the people were evening listening to the words of the songs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i laughed when I saw the bad puppets at the beginning..

I giggled at the start because of the Paris, France, blah blah miles from America part. Not many people laughed at the Montage-scene when I went either, which is a shame, was one of the better songs. You need a montaaaaage.

Still laughing at those "panthers". Man, I'm easily amused sometimes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

koneko wrote:
    I giggled at the start because of the Paris, France, blah blah miles from America part.
    Oh yeah, the "Paris, France, x miles west of America" thing was funny, but I meant even before that - right when the painting of the Eiffel tower appeared. I scanned the screen quickly to see if there was some joke I was missing, but I really think the entire cinema thought a painting of the Eiffel tower was one of the funniest things they'd ever seen.

Bizarre.

Hmm, then I can put it down only to something like "HAHA THIS FILM HAS PUPPETS N STUFF"
    Sheesh, the general public....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I loved the "suicide claw hammer", and the arab banter, "Durka Durka, Mohamad Jihad"

montage was great, one of those things i'd never picked up on before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

This was a bad movie. I was looking through rottentomatoes.com and one reviewer said it's this generation's 'Dr. Strangelove'. Whoever you are sir, please report to the morgue and tell them you're ready. You don't deserve to live, much less review movies.

The film was lazy as hell with terrible, clichéd jokes. Ho ho ho, Kim Jong-Il can't pronouce his Rs! Oh look, Parker and Stone have noticed Michael Moore is fat... and he's eating hot-dogs! Oh look, a Matrix parody... I always find those hilarious to the extreme! Oh my sides.

The film dragged on... and on... and on. I guess in that sense it was a good parody of boring Hollywood action flicks. Parker and Stone seem to think that constant swearing, people shouting and the word 'fag' are the height of hilariousness.

It's not this generations Dr Strangelove, that's just lazy bad journalism. I thought it was funny, in a very simple sortof way (ie not taking it too seriously, it's silly), but it's not a classic.

From IMDB today:

Stone Explains Dumb Damon Puppet

Matt Stone has finally explained why Matt Damon's puppet in recent marionette movie Team America: World Police looks "retarded" - it was accidental. Stone, who made the satirical film with his South Park partner Trey Parker, was surprised when Damon's puppet came out of the oven looking nothing like they were expecting him to. He says, "When we looked at the plans for his head he looked good, but when we came out of the oven he just looked retarded. I think it was well thought out. Honestly, I think Matt Damon is one of the better actors around. I think he's a pretty great actor. He's pretty talented. And for no real reason, he is retarded in this movie."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

personally I think Matt Stone and Trey Parker are legends. South Park is one of the funniest shows on TV and Team America while not as good as South Park the Movie was really funny, You have to appreciate the way they can take the piss out of their own country,major celebrities and themselves.

Advertisement