Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 159 impressions

Options
  • 30-10-2008 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Drove one of these for the first time yesterday. It was a 1 year old 1.8. I must say that after all the hype I was bitterly disappointed. There is no doubting that is a smashing looking car but was not impressed with the rockhard ride, uncomfortable seats, drab interior, awkward driving position and feeling every rock and bump through the steering wheel. The wipers also creaked like an old Peugeot 106 I used to drive. I was really surprised as if you were to believe the press (and owners) this is simply the best drivers cars out there, there is no way I could live with it, maybe I am just getting old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I drove a 159JTDm and wasn't at all impressed with performance or handling. I also felt I was looming over the dashboard (SUV-like) despite the seat being at it's lowest setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I test drove a 1.9 jtd (120) recently and while there's no doubt its a nice car, its not in the same league as some of the german makes for build or refinement. The steering in particular was too vague around the straight ahead for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

:(:(

Thoughts of buying a 3-4 year old 159 have been keeping me motivated in my final year in college.

Is it bad or just not as good as you expected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

bigkev49 wrote: »
    :(:(
    Is it bad or just not as good as you expected?

You couldn't say it was bad, just no-where near what I expected and as I said I wouldn't want to own one. Try it for yourself, just forget the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

feeling every rock and bump through the steering wheel.
    This is actually a good thing, something Audi owners know nothing about!

No one ever said it's the best drivers car out there. Firm ride is a matter of preference, interior I quite like. Seats differ for different models, I didn't find them too bad, but would need it for a long trip to know.
    Honestly - there's feck all hype about this car. Most reports are mediocre. Still, I like them. A fresh face in a world of design vomit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

But just look at it. :o I don't care if it drives like a Micra I will still have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

I assume 159 is so heavy car that you need something more than 1.8 to move it around?

itarumaa wrote: »
    I assume 159 is so heavy car that you need something more than 1.8 to move it around?

08 ones are lighter and stiffer!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Stufinnegan

Last year when I was in the market for an upgrade, I drove a few Alfa GT's. The feeling was exactily the same, a beautiful place to sit, but the ride, handling and feedback through the wheel was terrible....and totally underpowered (both the 1.8 and 2.0). The gear boxes are so spongy......so I guess they didn't look at these issues in the 159 either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Biro wrote: »
    08 ones are lighter and stiffer!

They are? Tell us more....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

On my second 159 1.9 16V JTDm a 08 Lusso, and i find it an excellent place to be...Leather seats very comfy, excellent mile muncher..
    The last one I had I put 60,000 miles on it with nothing other than servicing (that was free) and Tyres....

There's talk of the face lift next year with the new 180BHP 1.9 JTDm fitted...I'll be buying again...:)
    BMW are excellent car, but not the car for me...

They are? Tell us more....

They revised the chassis to make it lighter and some percentage more rigid (forget the number!). Autocar might have the review somewhere, must see if I can dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

that's disappointing. Can't imagine those changes will amount to a hill of beans. little point in having rock hard suspension around here...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Last year when I was in the market for an upgrade, I drove a few Alfa GT's. The feeling was exactily the same, a beautiful place to sit, but the ride, handling and feedback through the wheel was terrible....and totally underpowered (both the 1.8 and 2.0). The gear boxes are so spongy......so I guess they didn't look at these issues in the 159 either.

I have to disagree with you there....even though mine is on 18" rims, it is still a comfy ride on the back roads. I have heard that the GT is a bit heavy for the petrol engines unless you get the 3.2....the 1.9JTDm engine pulls it along nicely.

The 159 has disappointed me a bit though...I was expecting more from it when it came out. I think the interior of my old 156 is still nicer than the 159. The GT interior though is something special.
    I've been scouring around the classifieds for a nice 159 but so far nothing has caught my eye. Only a couple of leather examples that I'd consider. The exterior of the 159 is stunning, the interior just could have been better. I recently had a good loook around a 3.2 V6 Ti spec 159. Amazing..!!!

Advertisement