Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re broadcasting a wireless signal

Options
  • 02-06-2016 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭

Ok the title probably doesn't explain well, but it's the best I could come up with.

So we're heading down to France for the summer hols & the site we use charges for wireless, but it's per device.. Last year was €25 per device for the two weeks. Now the kids all have phones & tablets, I'm wondering if there's anything I can buy that I can allocate the site wireless feed to & it then in turn broadcasts a wireless signal that we can all log onto.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

Could you buy a prepaid sim with unnlimited data
    Bang into a phone and switch on the wireless hotspot ?

Or in days gone by I used to have a 3g router that you plugged in a usb dongle from o2 and the router broadcast a wifi signal that the kids could also use their tablets on
    Surely there is a french 3g wifi provider

Sorry showing my age now 4g

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Vodafone are strong there on 4g but my phone is a company phine so I have to be careful on data usage.

The on site wifi isn't great, and whilst not all in use at the same time, we all have phones and tablets, so that's potentially ten devices. I don't mind paying but just wondering options....especially as the kids will be limited to wifi usage by us !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

What you need is a wireless travel router.

vandriver wrote: »
    What you need is a wireless travel router.

Wassat...sounds perfect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Andip wrote: »
    Wassat...sounds perfect
    This might be an old article,but gives you the idea:
    http://terrywhite.com/new-favorite-travel-wifi-router/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Potentially you could get two old home routers, set one up as a wifi client and connect it to the WAN port of the other which broadcasts it's own signal and you can use NAT to make your 10 devices look like one. That's the free alternative to a travel router. But simpler to get a dongle/travel router as above.

HI sorry to raise this again, I've had a look at the travel routers and they all seem to require an Ethernet connection which you can broadcast as wireless. As this is a campsite, there won't be an Ethernet socket, so I'm looking for something that can accept a single wifi signal and then re broadcast to several devices. Is this possible or is a mobile dongle my only route.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

HI sorry to raise this again, I've had a look at the travel routers and they all seem to require an Ethernet connection which you can broadcast as wireless. As this is a campsite, there won't be an Ethernet socket, so I'm looking for something that can accept a single wifi signal and then re broadcast to several devices. Is this possible or is a mobile dongle my only route.

Thanks again

You need a wireless bridge and a travel router, the wireless bridge you setup to connect to the wireless that's provided.

The router in the blog a few posts up does just that, is it not available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The easiest think to do if your own phone is locked to a network is buy a cheap phone with a sim card over in France that can be used as a WiFi hotspot which is most phones these days. Connect everyone to that and buy phone credit as you need it in France.
    Then when you return sell the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have to disagree with all of yis. Easiet solution is a laptop + decent USB WLAN adapter. Join campsite on internal, host AdHoc on external. Boom, you've got yourself a hotspot for as many devices as you can carry.

TheChizler wrote: »

Maybe I misread but it was describing plugging into Ethernet & then broadcasting as wireless.

I will have a laptop with me, so WLAN usb ? Sounds simple enough

TheChizler wrote: »

Maybe I misread but it was describing plugging into Ethernet & then broadcasting as wireless.

I will have a laptop with me, so WLAN usb ? Sounds simple enough
    It can connect to an existing wired or wireless connection, but if you're happy leaving your laptop on that's probably the best option.

Advertisement