Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! UPC, Eircom or Sky

Options
  • 15-06-2015 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Sorry if this has been up before but which tv supplier is best?

It's just on foot of the UPC deal of 240mb bb, TV and landlines for €35 a month. My contract with Eircom for my landlines and bb expires in 2 weeks and TV is with sky.

I've read and heard some poor reviews of horizon and e vision and was wondering if the product has improved?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If all you want is TV, Sky is best hands down, The most channels, the best box sets, and access to certain UK channels (eg ITV and Channel 5) not available elsewhere. It's not perfect - there's no RTE+1, RTE1 or TG4 in HD, RTE News Now, and the channel ordering (particularly in the entertainment section) is a bit chaotic compared to UPC.

If you want triple play then UPC and Eircom become stronger options, particularly if fast broadband is very important to you, then UPC's is the best there is. Its Horizon STB suffers from usability issues, though it is very well featured (4 tuners compared to 2 on Sky). Be aware that on either the channel line up is a lot less than Sky, though both offer Setanta Ireland as a basic channel and the Setanta/BT pack is cheaper than on Sky.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I should say that as you already have Sky, some of this disadvantages of UPC/Eircom with regard channel line up may not be as applicable as you can keep your satellite dish and recieve UK FTA services with a Free to air box (indeed recent TVs may even have a DVB-S tuner).

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

icdg wrote: »
    I should say that as you already have Sky, some of this disadvantages of UPC/Eircom with regard channel line up may not be as applicable as you can keep your satellite dish and recieve UK FTA services with a Free to air box (indeed recent TVs may even have a DVB-S tuner).

Sky Atlantic is one of the channels not offered on UPC. On the other hand Setanta Ireland is offered for free on UPC and not on Sky

Advertisement