Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Fail Emissions

• 02-09-2011 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi,

I brought my 99 VW Bora 1.4 in for NCT and failed on emissions, wondering if there's any way around this like adding ethanol or injector cleaner etc or maybe the results are too far out for a solution like that??

The car is burning a bit of oil, fine in the city but if the engine is worked hard get a puff of blue smoke.

The results are;

Low Idle - Pass

High Idle (2770rpm) - Fail

Lambada 1.05 (not between .97 and 1.03)

CO 0.58 vol% (above 0.30%)

HC 301 ppm (above 200 ppm)

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mcdonns3

I had the same trouble with my 1.4L 2000 Seat Leon (AHW engine same as yours i'd say). Think it is a common enough problem. Only way i could get it threw was to get a new catalitic convertor and used a bottle of diptene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

O2 sensor needs to be change ... but it wont help as your HC over limit(oil passes piston rings in to burning chamber), it does mean, your engine is wrecked ... two ways to fix... cheaper, just put another used engine in it, or expensive but good way do engine recondition ... I recon catalytic converter in bits also ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

CAT would be one thing but they're over 200 quid, I'd throw in a good lot of diptane and drive the arse out of the car before putting it back through the test again, and before changing the CAT. It's worth the €40 euro gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

Thanks for the replies.

I can live with the oil burn and don't have the money to put another engine in so I'd be happy trying the diptane and rallying it if it can get by the test that way.

They said my number plates weren't correctly sized, anyone know where I could get a really cheap set made?

And the boot won't close properly, looks like the mechanism behind where the key goes is dodgy, how much do you reckon this would be from a scrap yard and is it an easy fix?

Advertisement