Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTV

• 29-12-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭

Music television.

Now I propose it be called simply "tv" because of the distinct lack of music on it. The shows that have taken over are sheer muck!

Also I only have MTV, none of the MTV hits, bass etc..

Anybody else? And yes, cool story, bro.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

it should be re-named "pregnant teen orientated show tv"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Masturbation TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its fallen far, far from its original format.
    Times change I accept but MTV has gone complete off direction altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Is there no Irish equivalent of MTV?

In Canada we had (probably still have?) Much Music (plus MTV, of course) and it always just seemed.. better, more music and less random crap, and it wasn't just pop, either, it was a really good proper mix of stuff, could go from Pearl Jam to Rage Against the Machine to Shaggy to Led Zeppelin to Eminem to Insane Clown Posse to Shania Twain to Queen if you were so inclined :pac:

Then again, I haven't watched either in at least 6 years so I've no idea what's on these days..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its just become another light entertainment station with occassionally, a bit of music thrown in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,119 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As there's no music left, they had to fill the schedules with sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

MTV in the 90's was brilliant. I loved it. It's complete diarrhea now.

This was my fave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

liah wrote: »

1 of them channel 6 / city channel's things does music video's through out the night.

That's the closest there is. Wouldn't be much point putting 1 together for an Irish broadcast itself as there's so many avail already...
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    As there's no music left, they had to fill the schedules with sh1t.

it's all gone to shíte since Roy Orbinson died tbh...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In fairness, its been like this for over 10 years. It used to be a pure music station, then over the years the music faded out and was replaced by the odd music video. Now, its for all of the "other" pop culture programs. You have to look at the other MTV channels for music (which I understand) MTV Rock, Dance, Bass, etc are all grand. Just like VH1 etc. I suppose MTV(1) is their money making part of their network.

I dunno, I think it'd actually be a really good opportunity for a lot of undiscovered talent in this country if someone made an MTV for Ireland. Ireland's absolutely chalk full of undiscovered musical talent just waiting for a break.

Of course they'd show "mainstream" non-Irish stuff too but even just a spot once or a couple of times a week for a feature on new and upcoming bands, let them get exposure, etc.. it could even get pretty big.

Also, Roy Orbison > Elvis.

Had to be said. (I was named after an Orbison song. :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭klose

I did love when they had south park, beevis and butthead, and of course celebrity deathmatch they were all a great laugh. The music was always brilliant on it bit of everything really. I can't exactly remember when it began to happen though, can anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

All the music channels are woeful these days, I have taken to watching vidzone on the PS3 but even then, it isn't randomised enough so you get to see the same videos reappearing every so often...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Trí wrote: »
    MTV in the 90's was brilliant. I loved it. It's complete diarrhea now.

Early 90's sitting up till stupid hours of the morning watching MTV round in a mate's house (too poor for satellite TV in mine) holds some good memories for me...

Always loved this programme link:

Can't see it on my current sky package, but I've seen it on and can see what's on the epg...where's the f*ckin' music? They expect people to pay for crap like the hills or whatever reality bullsh*t they're churning out?
    Major fail in the boardrooms that decided any of that was a good move.
    Youtube kind of makes the station obsolete, but that said, MTV were sh*t for a long time before youtube was even dreamt of...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I dunno, I think it'd actually be a really good opportunity for a lot of undiscovered talent in this country if someone made an MTV for Ireland. Ireland's absolutely chalk full of undiscovered musical talent just waiting for a break.

Of course they'd show "mainstream" non-Irish stuff too but even just a spot once or a couple of times a week for a feature on new and upcoming bands, let them get exposure, etc.. it could even get pretty big.

Well, dont really need a TV Station for that, there's plenty of Radio Stations.

They do have a quota that they need to reach to play records produced in Ireland, only problem with that, is a lot of foreign artist have been recording and producing in Ireland over the last 15 years and because of that, they are able to be put within that quota.

T'is a shame really because I recall when Phantom started out they used to play loads of stuff by new Irish bands. Don't think they do that as much anymore...

T'is clearly something Nova should look into doing as well...

Fúck man... you could easily produce a twice a week showcase on that...
    Also, Roy Orbison > Elvis.

Had to be said. (I was named after an Orbison song. :o)

T'is all well and good being biased, I was brought up on both :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

You need to get one of the digital TV services to watch the MTVs that play music.
    MTV just plays TV shows, the others are for music. This is most likely because the crap they play pulls in more viewers, and is therefore more profitable, than playing random music all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ireland's absolutely chalk full of undiscovered musical talent just waiting for a break.

I always thought that saying was 'chock full of...'

Well, dont really need a TV Station for that, there's plenty of Radio Stations.

They do have a quota that they need to reach to play records produced in Ireland, only problem with that, is a lot of foreign artist have been recording and producing in Ireland over the last 15 years and because of that, they are able to be put within that quota.

T'is a shame really because I recall when Phantom started out they used to play loads of stuff by new Irish bands. Don't think they do that as much anymore...

T'is clearly something Nova should look into doing as well...

Fúck man... you could easily produce a twice a week showcase on that...

Video killed the radio star. It's all well and good that there's radio, but people don't pay that much attention to it as it's not as accessible. Yeah, you can get podcasts and things, but think about it-- most people these days are video-oriented, at least the younger generations. It would be far more sensible to start a video station as it would get far, far, far more exposure, and the artists would too after their videos got put up on YouTube.

Radio's great and all but it lost its influence at the dawn of MTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah I remember the short lived MTV Europe on Sky when we first got it, some cracking presenters then we had a bunch of Brits invade! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

They should rename it to crappy reality shows tv (CRSTV) now.

I actually noticed on my sky box there is a channel called MTV shows. So not only do they only show reality shows on MTV1 they have another channel dedicated to the same thing.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Did MTV not drop Music Television from their logo? I know they did in the USA. Not so sure about here though.
    article wrote:
    Twenty-five years ago, MTV was best known for music videos starring Michael Jackson and Madonna. These days, its reigning queen is not a recording star at all but rather Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi, the rowdy party girl from the reality series "Jersey Shore."

So maybe it's not surprising that this week the 29-year-old network bowed to the inevitable and finally scraped the legend "Music Television" off its corporate logo.

The change was a belated acknowledgment of what has been obvious for years: MTV has evolved into a reality channel that occasionally runs programs that have to do with music.

But the shift is significant because, in an era of rapid technological change and microscopic attention spans, how networks identify themselves matters more than ever, experts say.

MTV "realized being 'music television' was too limiting," said Dave Howe, president of Syfy, home of such series as "Stargate Universe" and the now-defunct "Battlestar Galactica." Howe says the right brand is essential "to cut through the noise and clutter of the media explosion" bedeviling the TV industry.

And he should know. Last summer, his network underwent a controversial name change, from the Sci-Fi Channel to Syfy, a made-up word that Twitter users said looked more like the name of a mop or a gossip magazine than that of a cable network. One newspaper called it the "dumbest rebranding ever."

But Howe says the name change has reenergized the network and sharpened its identity. Because it referred to a well-established genre, "sci-fi" could not be trademark-protected, an important consideration for a network looking to establish a distinctive identity. Also, he said, sci-fi evoked images of "space, aliens and the future," turning off some viewers and advertisers.

"We totally expected there to be a backlash from core sci-fi fans," Howe said. But the shift has "far exceeded our expectations . . . . It's opened up the network to a broader range of viewers" and helped boost ratings.

For its part, MTV says viewers had moved beyond what the old logo said. "The people who watch it today, they don't refer to MTV as music television," MTV's head of marketing, Tina Exarhos, told The Times this week.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/13/entertainment/la-et-branding13-2010feb13

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

"The Real World" killed the video star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Video killed the radio star. It's all well and good that there's radio, but people don't pay that much attention to it as it's not as accessible. Yeah, you can get podcasts and things, but think about it-- most people these days are video-oriented, at least the younger generations. It would be far more sensible to start a video station as it would get far, far, far more exposure, and the artists would too after their videos got put up on YouTube.

Radio's great and all but it lost its influence at the dawn of MTV.

We could argue that MTv lost its releveance with the dawn of the internet streaming media age.

No longer do we have to wiat for MTV to screen a new video we can log onto Youtube and watch it when we want as the artists will have uploaded it there first.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from After hours.

We could argue that MTv lost its releveance with the dawn of the internet streaming media age.

No longer do we have to wiat for MTV to screen a new video we can log onto Youtube and watch it when we want as the artists will have uploaded it there first.

Oh, I know, the MTV comment was solely to point out how long radio's been effectively dead for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

and now they even have a channel called mtv shows as if thats not what mtv 1 has been for years:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

MTV UK is also MTV Ireland, it is a joint channel to serve both countries. I also don't get the hulabaloo about it not showing actual music anymore when it has about six sister channels all dedicated to doing just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The worst thing about it all is once upon a time Viacom had the best music channel on the planet. It was called VH2. Some idiot then decided to change that to MTV Flux and when that failed it turned into MTV 1 +1. What a shower of absolute stupid *****.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Did MTV not drop Music Television from their logo? I know they did in the USA. Not so sure about here though.

Yep, they dropped it in North America a while back. They basically took a slice off the bottom of the logo, removing the "Music Television" and some of the "M". The original logo is still used in the rest of the world but not sure how long that will last.

Incidently I hate that name "Syfy". The announcers still pronounce it "Sci-Fi" but to me it should be pronounced "siffy". Its stupid and the channel isn't any better for the rebrand - Sky have most of the good sci-fi shows anyway. But that's OT.

If you're looking for Music Television, try MTV Hits. Its a lot like the "old" MTV. Unfortunately MTV UK & Ireland is just reality shows now. Personally I'd prefer VH-1 or VH-1 Classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I used to like this show.

I think once this and Beavis and Butthead ended that was enough for me. Certainly I had lost interest by the time wigger-shows such as Pimp My Ride first appeared.

• Advertisement
Advertisement