Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice Needed - 5 Series or something else?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Won the bidding on this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150147710970&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005

Looks pretty good, high mileage but I reckon I can get it back, taxed and insured on the road for €11,000 which is going pretty well when similiar models on carzone are going for €16k

Booked in the inspection with Dekra at £250 so hopefully they wont throw up any faults that are too serious with it. Hopefully I've just bagged a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

That looks v nice Tails well ware.

i was just about to post the 528 may be a better bet as the difference in insurance and fuel consumption is neg and the 5 series aint a light car, so the extra cc's will help.

Well done nice motor, you must be chuffed.

terrible to see £3700 stg turn into an €11k on the road price aint it ! fookin Ali Bertie and the 40 theives.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,914 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Very nice, Tails142

Imagine you can buy that much car for £3.7k :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Stunning car for £3.7k. Let us know how it all goes from here.

Best of luck with it.

Well have the car back home and its running great.

Got Dekra to do an inspection before I went over - the guy was fairly negative about the car in some parts, but in my opinion they were only minor things; I guess they have to find some faults. I would say the check is worth doing however to make sure you're not buying a crashed car.

The cost worked out as follows;

Car €5520
    VRT €2990
    Dekra €400
    Flights €300
    Ferry €240
    Tube €20
    Total - €9470

Don't think you'd get a 5 series with similar spec in Ireland for anything less than 12k so I'm very happy.

Its takes off like a rocet, quickest car I've ever driven so I'll probably be disqualified within the year :D Thirsty though so I'm doing my best to behave too!!

Would definetly reccomend buying cars in the UK and especially on ebay - that guy I bought mine off seems to get ex company lease cars to shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Looks like a nice car for the money m8 , good luck!

What sort of MPG you getting? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Someone made me an offer I could not refuse, so I swapped my 05 Audi A4 2.5 TDI for a 04 545i ....

Now that DOES move like a rocket, so does the freakin petrol guage apparently !! A real nice car drive though, handles very nicely, thinking of fitting the MTEC Aero kit to it as this kit finishes off the front of the car very nicely. Its a nice subtle kit with clean lines, very similar to the kit that comes as standard on the M5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I bought my first BMW last week (05, 530 d) I have been very impressed, I usually drive a Merc (and Porsche on the Weekend) but have been pissed of withe the quality and poor service from the main dealer. The BMW is seriously fast and economical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Tails142 wrote:
    Would definetly reccomend buying cars in the UK and especially on ebay - that guy I bought mine off seems to get ex company lease cars to shift.

Sounds like you got a good car but did it not worrying that you were bidding on car that you only had pictures of?

What sort of MPG you getting?

Well :D Let's just say its worth it; got it back from London and up from Rosslare, about 500 miles on 70 litres... so that's about 29mpg - we were flying though at 80-90mph to try and make the ferry (which we missed anyway) so maybe not the most economical. Onboard computer says I'm getting 26.9mpg driving around Dublin but I havent verified it. Apart the odd time when I slip it into sports mode I've been driving calmly enough though :p
    Sounds like you got a good car but did it not worrying that you were bidding on car that you only had pictures of?

Yes - but certain things reassured me; he had hundreds of good feedback from previous buyers with some bad feedback that you would expect; faults that emerged from the cars which it would appear he then fixed as the buyer withdrew the bad feedback.

All the pics of his cars are taken infront of the same field so I figured they were genuine pictures he had taken of the cars. The most important thing was getting Dekra to send an engineer out to inspect the car; worth every penny in reassurance as then I knew it wasnt crashed, water-damaged, chopped in half etc. I was able to speak to the engineer on the phone and talk through the faults he found on the car.

It would suck however to pay the €400 for the inspection only to find out the car is a piece of thrash and then be down the €400; but better than buying a lemon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement