Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you getting the big "A"?

Options
  • 13-06-2015 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Do you find that when you are writing (or talking) that you come to a sudden stop and cannot think of the next word.

I find that I know there is a word for something I want to say or write but I just cannot think of it at the time. Furthermore, (I was just interrupted for 15 seconds and now I can't even think why I started the sentence "Furthermore").

Without a doubt, the mind fades as one gets older. Possibly the big "A"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ha! So much so that my conversation is beginning to sound like a faulty motor. Writing is not too bad but conversation is getting ridiculous - don't interrupt me or I will forget what point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Heh, I don't even need age to do that. I just call it derping out for a bit. Halfway through a sentence and I have no idea where I started it so I pick a direction and plunge on to the end. Fortunately, I speak so fast that people just smile and nod anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

All the time, words on the tip of my tongue go missing for hours. It's very annoying when i know for sure I had it, not just knew it but had gone to the trouble of going to the back of my head, taken it off a shelf and dusted it off ready to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

No, I never had that emmmm.....thing but Josie down the emmmm said..........oh, is that the coalman? I meant to get different emmmm for the Woof but emmmmm oh, I missed Emmerdale again.

Seriously though, I have a philosophy about deterioration, minor illnesses, allergies, etc. and, as soon as I can remember it, I'll tell you.
    (Mods, feel free to delete if inappropriate.)
    No, I believe that IF you BELIEVE yourself to be a victim, or potentially a victim, you probably WILL BE a victim. Nothing (except the big exit) is inevitable. We can PREVENT or delay almost anything, provided we fight it and fight it early. Don't let anything get a grip because our resilience isn't as good as it used to be.

On the big "A", I did some reading on it lately for the person I know with the best memory as it goes. Just naturally recalls dates and details to an astonishing degree. No schooling or reading but is a bit like "rainman" with anything to do with numbers especially. Unfortunately after minding someone with Alzheimers she began to get a little paranoid about it.
    Anyway some of the latest scientific advise i could find , is that doing anything one can do to avoid diabetes is also thought to be the most beneficial with avoiding A.
    So good diet, (salt ,sugar) and some exercise. I know there is rules against medical advise but this is very general and even if it's wrong, it's not wrong,IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Do you find that when you are writing (or talking) that you come to a sudden stop and cannot think of the next word.

I find that I know there is a word for something I want to say or write but I just cannot think of it at the time. Furthermore, (I was just interrupted for 15 seconds and now I can't even think why I started the sentence "Furthermore").

Without a doubt, the mind fades as one gets older. Possibly the big "A"?

I get this all the time, I only realise it when I read over my post before replying, and it looks like an alien language because of the so-many letters missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I've been like this since the age of 15 I'd say, its terribly frustrating and detrimental to ones confidence.

Anyway, my Dad is exactly the same as me, 87 now and still very with it, its not the big "A" I dont think. With me its actually more an over active mind (i.e. I've moved on before my mouth has caught up with where my mind is)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I get this all the time, I only realise it when I read over my post before replying, and it looks like an alien language because of the so-many letters missing.
    That's the keyboard mistyping, not your fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

....... So good diet, (salt ,sugar) and some exercise. I know there is rules against medical advise but this is very general and even if it's wrong, it's not wrong,IMO.
    I don't take salt nor sugar apart from that which is in the food already.

On the big "A", I did some reading on it lately for the person I know with the best memory as it goes. Just naturally recalls dates and details to an astonishing degree. No schooling or reading but is a bit like "rainman" with anything to do with numbers especially. Unfortunately after minding someone with Alzheimers she began to get a little paranoid about it.
    Anyway some of the latest scientific advise i could find , is that doing anything one can do to avoid diabetes is also thought to be the most beneficial with avoiding A.
    So good diet, (salt ,sugar) and some exercise. I know there is rules against medical advise but this is very general and even if it's wrong, it's not wrong,IMO.

Presume you are saying go easy on the salt and sugar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

That's the keyboard mistyping, not your fault!

The keyboard is very old as well, must be the accumulation of dust and lint blocking the connection of each button at the time of typing.

looksee wrote: »
    Presume you are saying go easy on the salt and sugar?

Yes, thanks for the clarification, that is exactly what I ment to say but I lost the words.
    Unfortunately indulging my sweet tooth is a failing of mine.
    ( putting my tuppence ha'penny medical hat away now looksee,putting it away)

Yes, thanks for the clarification, that is exactly what I ment to say but I lost the words.
    Unfortunately indulging my sweet tooth is a failing of mine.
    ( putting my tuppence ha'penny medical hat away now looksee,putting it away)

I wouldn't consider that 'medical' PS, just normal 'life' stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Himself and myself often forget words. Either of us could sound like this any day of the week.......

(a) "the...the...the...oh, you know, the thing.....what is it?....ooooh what IS it?" (getting really annoyed now).

(b) Can you give me a clue?

(a) Emmmm........(looking towards the sky for inspiration now)...oh....erm...I can SEE it, I can SEE it.......what's the WORD? (the gods are not smiling on us today)

(b) Can you mime it, whatever it is?

(a) Ah, (sigh) no, I don't know how to......ooooh what's the....

(b) Don't worry (giving up now) it'll come to you......sometime. Can't be that important. Can it? (fatal question)

(a) ahhhhhhhhh, tut, tsk, tut, (exhalation of air)....the thing! the THING!

(B) The thing? WHAT thing?

(a) the thing......with the stuff! (feeling flushed with a little success now...very little success...but getting there)

(b) That makes NO sense!

(a) No, no, not that.......ooooooh.........it has to be, what's it?....it has to be....(gesticulating madly and still not making sense)

(b) What are you DOING? That just looks RUDE! STOP MIMING!

(a) Awwww forget it! (Walks away angry, downhearted and upset)

(b) Well it looks like you already have, anyway. (receives dirty backward glance)

(a) TEA! The TEA! (shouting from the kitchen) I MADE the TEA! And it NEEDS a STIR!

(b) At flippin' last!!!!! :rolleyes:

I swear this has happened many times in our house in various scenarios.

Advertisement