Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have a UPC coaxial connection box it my room, can I plug in a second modem?

• 13-06-2015 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

The Horizon box is downstairs. Having a second modem connected to the unused UPC connection box in my room could give me faster speeds via an ethernet cable. Is it possible, or do I have to pay UPC for something? Thanks.

Comments

You'd have to have a second broadband connection with UPC - the MAC address (similar to the serial number) of the modem is what determines whether the modem can access the UPC network or not.

Powerline ethernet adapters might be an option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theratking

I have a powerline adapter. It's advertised as a 500Mbps but only has a 10/100 Ethernet port. On UPC 240, it's kind of a big deal for me.

Do you think UPC would, given the serial of the second modem, allow another device to connect? I'll call them and find out myself sure.

I'd find it highly unlikely because you'd have a second internet connection rather than using the existing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theratking

Ah, ok, that's a shame. Pretty pointless having that kind of connection with a Horizon box just sitting in the living room! I'm happy enough with the powerline adapter, although I'm really getting 70Mb/s than 200Mb/s so less than half is disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

theratking wrote: »
    The Horizon box is downstairs. Having a second modem connected to the unused UPC connection box in my room could give me faster speeds via an ethernet cable. Is it possible, or do I have to pay UPC for something? Thanks.

You could use a cat 5 cable from a spart lan port on the horizon box to another room and connect to the wan port of a second router... you cannot use the upc router however..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

theratking wrote: »
    Ah, ok, that's a shame. Pretty pointless having that kind of connection with a Horizon box just sitting in the living room! I'm happy enough with the powerline adapter, although I'm really getting 70Mb/s than 200Mb/s so less than half is disappointing.

Do you need wired internet in the living room? You can get them to separate the internet from the Horizon box and use a separate modem elsewhere (they may charge a €45 de consolidation fee).

Advertisement