Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 1.8T stolen last night in

• 06-12-2013 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Folks if you could keep an eye out for the above car which was stolen during the night from a family member. Registration 08D30155. It's a black Audi A4 1.8T saloon. It has xenon and DRL pack. Alloy Wheels. A house was broken into and keys taken.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Sorry to hear this - this breaking into houses for the keys thing is getting beyond a joke at this stage :mad:.

Really hope the car gets found and the complete wastes of space that took the car get caught.

Hopefully someone somewhere will spot it.

Would be well worth putting it up on facebook - or (even better) Twitter.

Twitters particularly good - as people can retweet - and word gets around twitter quick enough (imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

OP,what part of the country are we talking about here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Dublin 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'll bang it up on twitter now.

Happened me at the start of last year.

Rotten to their core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

mfceiling wrote: »
    I'll bang it up on twitter now.

Happened me at the start of last year.

Rotten to their core.

Not sure how common the practice of breaking into houses for the keys actually is - but sadly its something which seems to often pop up.

It sucks massively :(

Wish the gardai were more proactive in stopping this kind of things :mad:.

Is it getting the the stage now where one has to take all the discs out each night - Gardaí would find it no bother then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Old diesel wrote: »
    Not sure how common the practice of breaking into houses for the keys actually is - but sadly its something which seems to often pop up.

It sucks massively :(

Wish the gardai were more proactive in stopping this kind of things :mad:.

Is it getting the the stage now where one has to take all the discs out each night - Gardaí would find it no bother then :rolleyes:

Came in to my house - thankfully we all slept through it.

To be fair to the garda, they couldn't have been nicer but even they said that it is nigh on impossible to catch them...an increase in numbers maybe and stop closing the stations - hello government, are you listening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Unless you heard it in progress, extra guards probably won't make a difference.
    Real solution is to have house alarm set overnight, most proper alarms have sensors on the doors as well as internal PIR. At night only the door sensors and maybe window sensors would be active.

Insurance companies might start to try get people to make it harder for thieves by informing them of common theft methods. Keys on the hall table in sight of letterbox, is one.

We just have to turn homes into castles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What boggles me is that they are now breaking in for standard run of the mill cars. 520d, Audi a4 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

They removed pane of glass from window frame that's how they got in. They were driving a Toyota Yaris with alloy wheels. In and out in less than 2 minutes. Car was the target. It's a 160bhp.
    And for anyone who brings their car keys to bed, my advise is leave them downstairs. It's only a car at the end of the day it can be replaced.
    Having said that I hope they catch the bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

bbability wrote: »
    They removed pane of glass from window frame that's how they got in. They were driving a Toyota Yaris with alloy wheels. In and out in less than 2 minutes. Car was the target. It's a 160bhp.
    And for anyone who brings their car keys to bed, my advise is leave them downstairs. It's only a car at the end of the day it can be replaced.
    Having said that I hope they catch the bastards!

id love to catch someone taking my keys from the bedside locker though.....pretend to be asleep till the flucker turns his back, he would have a wilson putter wrapped around his face!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Start pulling out the fuel pump fuse at night,they won't be going anywhere to quick then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Unless you heard it in progress, extra guards probably won't make a difference.
    Real solution is to have house alarm set overnight, most proper alarms have sensors on the doors as well as internal PIR. At night only the door sensors and maybe window sensors would be active.

Insurance companies might start to try get people to make it harder for thieves by informing them of common theft methods. Keys on the hall table in sight of letterbox, is one.

We just have to turn homes into castles.

I don't agree with the bring your car keys to bed, i'd rather they break in and get the keys from the hall and be gone, rather than risk any harm to any of my family members just for a car thats replaceable.
    My BMW was broken into 2 nights ago, didn't get anything and couldn't take the car as the battery is completely dead, didn't bother ringing the Garda as the last time the same car was broken into (in winter 2012), the kids dvd headrests, my iPod and a small amount of cash I had there (use it for lunch in work or toll fares), about €30, were taking from it and €1500 worth of damage done to it and the Garda were putting it across as if I disturbed them at 5am in the morning. Was told I should have waited til after 8am to ring the station as they have specific Garda that come for break-ins. I told them its kinda hard when i'm due into work at 6am and needed the car, they didn't seem interested. Then to top it all off the insurance company only repaired the damage aswell as me having to put forward €500 to it, even though the excess was €250, told me that I couldn't prove my iPod or kids dvd players were in the car so they won't pay them out. 8 years paying insurance policys in my name and 4 years under a company policy with no claims what so ever and still got shafted. Its terrible.

Hope the OP gets his / her car back in one piece

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

Living in my place 7 years now. We always lock our bedroom door at night ( we have no kids). We always bring keys/laptop/handbag etc up at bedtime. I treat it as a castle keep. Don't make a gift of your items to a thief, car keys in the hall is a no no. I used to lock all internal doors when away on hols/weekends etc, but not anymore. I saw a relatives's house after a burglarly and they just smashed the doors. We put in a decent sturdy safe in a wardrobe, bolted to solid wall. Even if we are just out to Tesco for a half hour, we throw stuff into the safe.

Its disturbing when someone invades your home or your bedroom. Two of my elderly relatives endured a burglar in their bedroom creeping around. They pretended to be asleep throughout the experience. God knows what could have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Phonewatch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Mc Love wrote: »
    Phonewatch!

I have called the gardai twice to let them know there were robberies in progress, both in Lucan and both times they never bothered to come out, do you think they are any better for phonewatch calls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Possibly?! Never had to use the Gardai but they call straight away and if no answer - call the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭140490

Same happened to my brother in louth a year a got they took keys from his jacket im the kitchen, it was bmw 5 series 06, this type of robery its not some young guys want to rally with the car and burn it somewhen, this is an orginazed criminals they target only expensive cars and alaways the same trick take keys from house, sorry t hear that op and my english as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭140490

Another thing! put a kill switch to ur next car its important so even they have keys they cannot turn it on !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

pred racer wrote: »
    I have called the gardai twice to let them know there were robberies in progress, both in Lucan and both times they never bothered to come out, do you think they are any better for phonewatch calls?

Tell them you've a loaded gun and you feel your life is being threatened. Won't be long before they respond.

my neighbour is into shooting and tried this, they were there in 5 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

id love to catch someone taking my keys from the bedside locker though.....pretend to be asleep till the flucker turns his back, he would have a wilson putter wrapped around his face!

I don't know about this, maybe you are joking.

I do boxing, go to the gym, confident person in confrontational situations. However if you are asleep and in your boxers and fully clothed men come running in -its a frightening experience

has happened to me a few years back and you feel very vulnerable

I wouldn't take the keys to bed personally

more importantly, hope your relative gets his A4 back

• Advertisement
Advertisement