Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blokes night and Charlie Brooker on BBC2 tonight

Options
  • 27-12-2010 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

From 5.45 till 11 pm.

James May's Top Toys (rpt)
    Top Gear Xmas Special (rpt)
    Three Men Go to Scotland (new) - Griff Rhys Jones, Dara O'Briain, Rory McGrath go north. Part One
    Oz and Hugh Raise the Bar 3/4 - more boozing with Oz and Hugh
    Charlie Brooker's 2010 Wipe - Brooker takes the year to task as only he can.

Could be a near ideal night in front of the telly* :)

* and the core of Daves 2011 schedule

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Looking forward to seeing Brooker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Charlie Brooker and Big Fat Quiz of the Year are the best ways to wave off the year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

mike65 wrote: »
    :)

* and the core of Daves 2011 schedule

Zing!

He is basically tearing chunks out of Sky News.

I love it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

After seeing the preview for pt 2 of Three Men Go To Scotland, I feel it's appropriate to quote a post I made in the Apprentice final thread:
    It's unfortunate that the bbc forgot to cross out the "Ed Byrne" clause in Dara O'Briain's contract.

I really hope O'Briain gets a kick back for all the work Ed Byrne gets on his shows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

His review of the Raoul Moat coverage was spot on. Awful, awful stuff from Sky et al.

Their coverage reminded me about that of the sniper shootings in Washington a few years ago, where they were watching the news and adjusting their techniques based on what was said, i.e. the media saying a white van was involved and then them waiting for one to pass before shooting.

Brooker was spot on, absolutely love his Screenwipe and hope there's many more in the new year, without us waiting until next Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I enjoyed it. Always nice to hear from Barry ****peas. I also respect the fact Brooker criticised X-Factor even though his wife works on the sister show, although from what I've read she may be sacked so perhaps she told him to go for it. :cool:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Their coverage reminded me about that of the sniper shootings in Washington a few years ago, where they were watching the news and adjusting their techniques based on what was said, i.e. the media saying a white van was involved and then them waiting for one to pass before shooting.

Brooker was spot on, absolutely love his Screenwipe and hope there's many more in the new year, without us waiting until next Christmas.

There should hopefully be a Newswipe sometime this year, some time late spring, I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It seems so far from anything that could be called journalism. They dissect, 'update', i.e., tell you nothing. The whole thing seems very crass and lazy.

It looks like they're doing something similar with the Joanna Yeates murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Crying with laughter watching 2010 Wipe. Brooker is brilliant, I'm sad that I only discovered him this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

His review of the Raoul Moat coverage was spot on. Awful, awful stuff from Sky et al.

Brooker has had many outstanding moments when it comes to news coverage, but I don't know if he'll ever top his piece on the media's treatment of violence may actively foster more violence.

"We expect to see one or two more within a week."

Runs chills down my spine.

I found this deeply unsettling, at 7:07 in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

I found this deeply unsettling, at 7:07 in

I know it's slightly off-topic, but in general I tend to think the UK police are much more restrained in crowd control situations than our own Gardai.

Compare the way the students in the UK were almost give free rein to tear sh*t up, with the way the Gardai heavy handedly used truncheons, guard dogs, robo-cop style armour to clear the streets following a few mildly aggressive protests in November.

They would never get away with that in the UK where they'd be held accountable for their actions

coonecb1 wrote: »
    I know it's slightly off-topic, but in general I tend to think the UK police are much more restrained in crowd control situations than our own Gardai.

Compare the way the students in the UK were almost give free rein to tear sh*t up, with the way the Gardai heavy handedly used truncheons, guard dogs, robo-cop style armour to clear the streets following a few mildly aggressive protests in November.

They would never get away with that in the UK where they'd be held accountable for their actions

They're probably a lot more restrained now, after all those images and videos were leaked after the protests in the clips I posted. There was a public outcry about it, if I remember correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The UK police seem to treat everything as if it's a riot, regardless of how serious it is. That generates it's own kind of problems.

The Guards have a lot less experience with crowd control, and, not to be cynical about it, a lot less experience of people recording their actions on camera.

Advertisement