Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankie Boyle Tramadol Nights cancelled???

Options
  • 29-12-2010 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is aware has the show been cancelled? Tuned in tonight to give it another chance after a few really weak efforts, thinking "It's the last of the series, maybe it will be better", only to see that it wasn't on, with the C4 continuity announcer just saying "In place of the advertised programme..." without any explanation.

I've read further reports that he's shed a third of his viewers and that advertisers have been abandoning their ad break slots during the show.

Whether or not it's been cancelled once and for all or if there is some other explanation for the absence of the show from our screens tonight, it seems to me that this show has been close to career suicide for Frankie and I wonder how he can come back from such a poorly received show...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Enjoy Frankie's work, hated the show. I doubt its failure will be career suicide though. It'll just burst the bubble a bit. People expected Frankie to be HUGE after Mock the Week, but this just demonstrates that he hasn't got the kind of crossover appeal that can lead to him heading his own show. He'll still sell tickets by the bucketload, get panel TV slots and do the odd side project...but the big comedy presenting jobs will continue to go to the likes of Dara O'Briain and Rob Brydon.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

leggo wrote: »
    Enjoy Frankie's work, hated the show. I doubt its failure will be career suicide though. It'll just burst the bubble a bit. People expected Frankie to be HUGE after Mock the Week, but this just demonstrates that he hasn't got the kind of crossover appeal that can lead to him heading his own show. He'll still sell tickets by the bucketload, get panel TV slots and do the odd side project...but the big comedy presenting jobs will continue to go to the likes of Dara O'Briain and Rob Brydon.

I'm with you on liking his work but not being a fan of the show - it had its moments but was vastly more miss than hit. I think his best home was in those panel shows but the reason I think it might have been career suicide is that he left the BBC and the Panel Show format, saying it stifled him and I'd then wonder how he can go back on that to return to the panel format. Time will tell, I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

isn't that what live comedy is for

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

Generally I found him entertaining on panel shows so I was expecting to be entertained in his own show. However his show just wasnt funny - he tried too hard to shock and i'm not that stupid to think that shocking=funny.

I watched his show twice to give him the benefit of the doubt but it didn't improve - hence the reason why I (and others obviously) didn't continue to watch him. I'm not surprised its been taken off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

Most of the sketches were really half-baked from what I saw, his comments were also getting outside what could be accepted by a major broadcaster. I have no problem with controversy, if the jokes behind them were challenging, or funny in the face of PC. Controversy, for controversies sake is a different thing entirely, that I am not a fan of, setting out to deliberately offend people with nothing worthwhile to say is completely limited, I think he's been found out that apart from shock comments and tabloid "outrage" quotes, he has very little to go on. His dvd's, book and most performances are one and the same from anything I've seen, and it's becoming very stale...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Career suicide? Exactly right. He's done this on purpose. I remember reading an interview, in the times I think, where he basically said he was retiring. So it looks like he was going out with a bang with TN and burning all bridges after him. He said himself he wasn't exepecting a second series.

It's a big middle finger to everyone. Which he has a right to do I suppose.

I only caught a few mins of the series, but did anyone think his accent got thicker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

I dont think this was planned. He's just an unfunny twat.

He's been found out completely. Absolutely rubbish once the shock factor of what he says is gone. He was good on MOTW because he was so harsh and seemingly off the cuff. turned out most of that material came from his stand up and had been scripted. Even fans of his admit that his standup DVDs dont have repeat watching value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

offensive for the sake of it is never enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

irishh_bob wrote: »
    offensive for the sake of it is never enough

The Tommy Tiernan principle

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's on now on Channel 4.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

The Tommy Tiernan principle

tommy tiernan is daniel o donell compared to frankie boyle

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I liked him on MtW, I miss him on that. But Tramadol Nights is simply not funny imo. And it uses a laugh track, worst of all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

irishh_bob wrote: »
    tommy tiernan is daniel o donell compared to frankie boyle

Tommy forgot to be funny whilst being offensive.

Thankfully, Frankies stand up still has a foot in each camp.

Advertisement