Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to Oxford

Options
  • 29-06-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Just a few questions in relation to applying to the University of Oxford,

1] Do you apply before or after your leaving certificate(I'm assuming before)
    2] I hear interviews occur around November, would it be possible to reschedule this date?
    3] How would Oxford compare Junior Cert results with GCSE results(assuming British students are applying after their exams, not very knowledgeable on their schooling system)

Thanks. I'm applying to oxford as they have a particular subject which I've a strong passion + interest in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 unmoeglichkeit

You apply to Oxford through UCAS by the 15th of October the year before you intend to start. If you're doing your leaving cert next year, you would need to apply by October 15th this year to start in October 2015. The UCAS application includes the personal statement, which you would probably start writing the summer before you apply.

Interviews begin in early December (December 7th this year), and what dates you need to be in Oxford for interview depends on what subject you are applying for (there will be a timetable online) . The interview dates can't be rescheduled because pooling between colleges takes place while you're in Oxford for interviews.

GCSE results are roughly equivalent to Junior Cert results for the purpose of applying, but the tutors will probably be more interested in your predicted grades and they indicate the level you're currently working at. Standard Leaving cert offer for Oxford is AAAABB, and the tutors can specify which subjects you need to get the As in and can make the offer higher (generally not lower, and usually just standard offer).

If you don't mind my asking, what subject do you intend to apply for?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

You apply to Oxford through UCAS by the 15th of October the year before you intend to start. If you're doing your leaving cert next year, you would need to apply by October 15th this year to start in October 2015. The UCAS application includes the personal statement, which you would probably start writing the summer before you apply.

Interviews begin in early December (December 7th this year), and what dates you need to be in Oxford for interview depends on what subject you are applying for (there will be a timetable online) . The interview dates can't be rescheduled because pooling between colleges takes place while you're in Oxford for interviews.

GCSE results are roughly equivalent to Junior Cert results for the purpose of applying, but the tutors will probably be more interested in your predicted grades and they indicate the level you're currently working at. Standard Leaving cert offer for Oxford is AAAABB, and the tutors can specify which subjects you need to get the As in and can make the offer higher (generally not lower, and usually just standard offer).

If you don't mind my asking, what subject do you intend to apply for?

Hey! I'm applying for PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics). When you say the tutors can make the offer higher would they notify me through the UCAS or during the interview? I'm also currently doing all honours except for mathematics and I'm worried that this may be a disadvantage. I've typed my personal statement already(if you want I could possibly pm it to you for your opinion). Thanks ^.^

• Registered Users Posts: 13 unmoeglichkeit

They notify you of your offer in January by post/email, so then is when you'd know for sure. They're not particularly likely to deviate from the HL AAAABB, because they don't deal with very many Irish applicants, and they usually just check what standard offer is and give you that offer.

PPE, I thought so. On the website it says that mathematics isn't need to A-level and that IB standard level is an advantage, which would be roughly equivalent to OL. I assume you're doing Economics then, so your maths will be good enough for the Economics in the course (they'll test it in the interview, along with aspects of politics and philosophy).

With regards to your personal statement, I'm probably not the best person to give advice on it as I do Chemistry, where the personal statement is a very small part of the decision compared to the interview. Have you read the guide on the Student Room? You can still send it to me, and I can see if there's anything obvious wrong. You can also get your English teacher to help when you go back in late August/September, because they're used to reading students work and know what makes a personal statement easy to read. Also, do you know what college you intend to apply to yet?

Advertisement