Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dundalk commute

• 28-08-2007 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭

I'm considering moving to Dundalk in the not too distant future. Just wondering how people find commuting to and from there? I work in Blackrock in Dublin, and would be commuting to there. What is the train service like? Are they reliable and regular? Any advice would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

it's not nice.

check www.irishrail.ie for timetables

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 spudmurf2k

It'll take a while. I live in Blackrock, Dundalk and am at UCD, and if I was to commute it'd take me near 2 hours in the morning by car to be in at nine, possibly more as I haven't done it in ages (that's without using the tunnell). The enterprise is a good train service, but u'd be relying on the dart also. I'd come down, stay in a b&b (www.krakowbandb.com, right beside the train station) and see what the commute is like on a week day before you go making any decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I was offered a job in Blackrock and I was looking to live in Balbriggan. I thought the commute was too much then, why would you want to do it from Dundalk? If you have your heart set on living in Dundalk, I would find a local job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

There are 2 direct trains to Blackrock from Dundalk in the mornings.

Dep Dundalk at 06.35 - Arr Blackrock at 08.16
    Dep Dundalk at 07.16 - Arr Blackrock at 08.59

Anything before that requires you to go to bed at 7.30 in the evening so you can get up with the larks! Not much of a life really.

The bus, you can forget about.

As for driving, well the M1 will get you as far as the Airport quickly, then its hello and welcome to Dublin. Even if you use the port tunnel, all your money gets you is congestion and more money on the east link.

I'd say don't move unless you can get a job on the northside of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Flume

I go to and from ucd every morning and evening from drogheda by matthews bus. Then a dublin bus from o'connell street. Its not that bad once you get used to it, although i know you'd have to add a little bit for the trip from dundalk to drogheda. If you had a choice though i wouldnt do it. My advice, dont live in dundalk.Why would you want to live there??:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

I am currently commuting (by car) from Newry to South Dublin, and it is honestly not too bad.

But I might be lucky as I can choose my working hours, and they are from 7-3.30. So i leave Newry at 05.40 and arrived at work usually at 06.55 or 07.00.

In the afternoon I leave at 3.30 sharp and am usually (if there is no accident or similar) home at shortly before 5.

Only friday afternoon is a bit of a pain, but as it is one of my working from home days I am not too bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

DubDani wrote:
    I am currently commuting (by car) from Newry to South Dublin, and it is honestly not too bad.

But I might be lucky as I can choose my working hours, and they are from 7-3.30. So i leave Newry at 05.40 and arrived at work usually at 06.55 or 07.00.

In the afternoon I leave at 3.30 sharp and am usually (if there is no accident or similar) home at shortly before 5.

Only friday afternoon is a bit of a pain, but as it is one of my working from home days I am not too bothered.

I hope you do not exceed the speed limit of 120km/h :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

You spend 8.5 hours a day working and you're considering spending another 4 on top of that commuting (and 4 hours is optimistic trains are often late but they can't be early) and, presumably, you eat, sleep and shower too. That's not too bad I suppose. You'll be bang on time for bed then!

edit - seriously, you need your head checked if you sign yourself up to a 3rd world situation like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

First of all, you're looking at a 4 to 5 hour commute both ways each day and leaving Dundalk at around 6.00 am each day. Are you ready to put up with that sort of a life?

Second, with house prices now plummeting and a full on house price crash starting, you may not be able to sell your Dundalk property on for anything closer to Dublin. In effect, you may be left stranded in Dundalk with an "asset" in negative equity territory.

I'd avoid this situation if I were you.

Advertisement