Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair to charge for non online check in but cancel online check in charge

Options
  • 24-08-2007 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Ryanair said on Friday it would start charging passengers for using airport check-in desks and drop existing fees for those checking in online.

Ryanair said allowing passengers carrying only hand luggage to book on to flights via the Internet and avoid airport queues had proved popular with some travellers, but charging for the service had acted as a disincentive for others.

"We expect that providing this service free of charge will significantly increase usage," the airline said in a statement.

"These new measures will, we believe, encourage more and more passengers to travel without checked-in baggage and use Ryanair's free web check-in and priority boarding service."

Those who choose to check in at the airport will now face a charge of 2 pounds or 3 euros on top of any fees already paid for transporting luggage in the hold of the aircraft.

Ryanair, which has become one of the world's most profitable airlines by cutting costs and seeking sources of revenue other than ticket sales, hopes to reduce overheads at airports by persuading people to travel with hand luggage only.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/personalFinanceNews/idUKNOA44360820070824

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Cue Aer Lingus doing the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Cue Aer Lingus doing the same

This is actually a good idea.

I used the online check-in a few times, until i had to pay for it, after that, i just used the check-in desk since being charged to save them work annoyed me.

Of course Aer Lingus have the Self-Service check-in machines, which (for me) seem the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Bit crap though that they don't offer online checkin+baggage drop.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Is the cost of check in at desk going to be on top of the cost to check in a bag?

I am all for speeding things up but to have to pay for a bag and then have no alternative but to pay for standing in a queue to hand it to someone is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,010 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The people who will be worst hit from this are the folk who check in bags consequently they have to use the check in desks (double charge). Families will feel the pinch as Ryanair do not allow bag sharing for the limit.

All this will do is encourage people to bring huge hand luggage onto the aircraft. Why does everyone insist on putting their hand luggage in the overhead space, the space under your seat is quite big as well. This actually slows down getting on and off planes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The people who will be worst hit from this are the folk who check in bags consequently they have to use the check in desks (double charge). Families will feel the pinch as Ryanair do not allow bag sharing for the limit.

Disagree, the people who will be worst hit are those who do not qualify for online check in:
    * Passengers travelling with checked baggage or on the same reservation as a passenger travelling with checked baggage.
    * Children aged between 14-18 years travelling alone.
    * Passengers travelling with infants
    * Passengers travelling with mobility equipment (including children's buggies)
    * Passengers with reduced mobility, blind/visual impaired passengers including those travelling with a sighted companion
    * Blind/visual impaired passenger travelling with a guide dog
    * Passengers who require special assistance at the airport
    * Passengers travelling from Italy to the UK
    * Passengers travelling on a passport which is due to expire within 30 days from the date of travel.
    * When there are more than 9 passengers booked in a reservation

Also, Irish passengers travelling with a drivers license.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

-Note virtually no airlines allow baggage sharing allowance anymore. There was a time when charter airlines used to allow it etc, but I believe it is right that you are only allowed the 15kg each, no sharing.

Disagree, the people who will be worst hit are those who do not qualify for online check in:

I had not realised that Ryanair had that many restrictions on their on line check in. They will have figured that they will make more money charging for desk checkin against online checkin.

-Note virtually no airlines allow baggage sharing allowance anymore. There was a time when charter airlines used to allow it etc, but I believe it is right that you are only allowed the 15kg each, no sharing.

AL allow 20kg and BA allow 23kg therefore Ryanair have made a family sharing 1 checkin bag much more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Also, Irish passengers travelling with a drivers license.

And people with a non-EU passport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

they could get nailed by the equal status act, if they don't remove certain of the restrictions on online check in and charge for checking in at a desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

they could get nailed by the equal status act, if they don't remove certain of the restrictions on online check in and charge for checking in at a desk.
    "Nailed by the Equal Status Act" to Ryanair is equivalent to a small case of pins and needles to you and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Remember this is coming from the airline who's chief accountant said, when challenged about exhorbitant drink prices on board: 'We'd charge for ice if they let us!'

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

All this will do is encourage people to bring huge hand luggage onto the aircraft. Why does everyone insist on putting their hand luggage in the overhead space, the space under your seat is quite big as well. This actually slows down getting on and off planes

But with the security restrictions you have to check in baggage with any liquids of 100ml or more i.e. shampoo, perfume, toothpaste, deodorant etc. etc. so most people don't have a choice.

So the advertised €9.99 flight from Ryanair has Taxes & Charges (often about €40 return), baggage charges of €15 return, and now €6 of check-in charges plus for families another €6 per person for priority boarding which is flogged at the airport. That makes at least €58 each way for a flight advertised at €9.99. You can only vote with your feet.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

BMI is the only way to fly to the UK .

sharkman wrote:
    BMI is the only way to fly to the UK .

They do not fly from any of the airports near me to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They may be charging for loads of things now but they are still cheaper. I was pricing flights to Berlin for a couple of weeks time. AL where nearly 3 times dearer the RA. I'd happily pay €3 *2 to fly with them to save a couple of hundred Euro. But if the prices where close I fly with someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

This suits me perfectly. I used to use online checkin until the charge was introduced. Then I switched back to the checkin desk. I know how to travel light so no problem limiting myself to hand luggage most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Just a quick note on this: RA did allow me and my girlfriend to share the baggage allowance coming from Luton to Dublin last week. My bag was over 18 kgs, my girlfriend's was 12. Didn't expect it to be honest, nice surprise. I'm sure most of them would have charged us the £16 GBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The people who will be worst hit from this
    Another way to say that is "the people who will benefit least from this".

"We expect that providing this service free of charge will significantly increase usage,"
    Obviously this is marketing spin, but it is true to a point. I think being charged €2-3 is quite low, how much are all the overheads involved for that person checking in the baggage, it can take several minutes sometimes.

I love the ryanair charges policy, I would gladly stand on a flight if I was being charged for a seat. Most flights I am on take as long as a bus, and I have no problem standing on a bus/luas/dart, even though they are more bumpy.

I only wish they asked online if you would be buying stuff on the plane. People are paying for these trolley dollies to come up and down yet are getting no wanted service from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I only wish they asked online if you would be buying stuff on the plane. People are paying for these trolley dollies to come up and down yet are getting no wanted service from them.

I assume that was tongue in cheek.

The one service you really need from these guys is the one you have no intention of ever using , ie they help you exit the aeroplane should it hit the ground in a disorganised manner

I have posted on a aviation thread about my thoughts on FR's service, or lack of it. Ill repeat it here ( similar thread different board )

Most of the travel I do is short notice , within Europe ( at least 2 times a month ) . Now you look at the price of flying FR to Luton on Thursday , returning Friday this week ... then compare it to EI or BM .... they are MORE EXPENSIVE. This is not a fluke , believe me I check virtually every time I travel and they are nearly always more expensive ( I know if you book in advance thats not true )

Also this c**p about , oh you get what you pay for . The attitude of the staff ( that comes from the CEO ) is that their customers are a money tree , and they can treat them like s*it and they will keep coming.

Well , I for one hope they run into a couple of REALLY lean years , then they may realise its the customers that are paying their wages. They seem to have the attitude that they are doing us a favour just by being there. THEY ARE NOT !

FR didn't always act like this, I remember one Christmas eve being at a fogbound STN ( about 15 years ago ) and the staff were fantastic, everyone got home for Christmas.

MOL , needs a reality check , they say pride comes before a fall !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Del2005 wrote:
    They may be charging for loads of things now but they are still cheaper. I was pricing flights to Berlin for a couple of weeks time. AL where nearly 3 times dearer the RA. I'd happily pay €3 *2 to fly with them to save a couple of hundred Euro.
    Thats a surprise to me.

I travel to Berlin about 12 times a year and never have once found Ryanair's flights to be cheaper. They always seem to be 29.99 each way (although I checked now and it is 1c one way and 25 euro the other) plus lots of other charges whereas I find Aerlingus fluctuate between 13 euro and 35+euro. I find Aerlingus are still better value due to the express check in and being able to pick your seats before you board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

I travel frequently to the UK with both Ryanair and AL. I never travel with a passport, just me drivers license. So with these new changes, I am forced to pay the 3 euro charge simply because I want to travel with my drivers license..:mad:
    AL have no problem allowing web checkin and using ur license. So why the feck cant O'L€ary let us use them when travelling with them???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Of course Aer Lingus have the Self-Service check-in machines, which (for me) seem the best option.
    Sure unless you are going on further.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,039 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yoda wrote:
    Sure unless you are going on further.
    ???
    Last year I entered my Aer Lingus booking reference into the machine and was pleasantly surprised to get not just my boarding pass to LHR but my one to Hong Kong (with Cathay) as well. I believe they will continue to do this with selected airlines in spite of pulling out of OneWorld.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement