Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus route 185 - do all buses go through Enniskerry?

Options
  • 21-09-2013 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

I havnt used this route before but am just confused by the variant routes, do they all go through Enniskerry and on that road that leads to Glencree? the one indicating "p" does that one go to the main Powerscourt gate?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/185-/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

that's fine, I want to pick up the Wicklow Way and head in the direction of Knockree

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

The buses that are marked "p - To Palermo" and "f - to Palermo via Fassaroe" don't go to Enniskerry as far as I know. All the other variants go to Enniskerry and on to Kilmolin (Shop River), even the ones marked c and t, which say "To Powerscourt". c and t are the only buses to go up the hill past the main Powerscourt gate, traffic permitting.

On the way back, the buses marked "p - from Palermo" and "m - From Palermo via Fassaroe" do not visit Enniskerry or Kilmolin. All other buses depart from Kilmolin, even the ones listed as "From Powerscourt".

It's a very confusing timetable; Dublin Bus really need to do something to simplify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

silverharp wrote: »
    I havnt used this route before but am just confused by the variant routes, do they all go through Enniskerry and on that road that leads to Glencree? the one indicating "p" does that one go to the main Powerscourt gate?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/185-/

I've just looked at the timetable and for once I'm stumped. Fassaroe and Palermo are on the outskirts of Bray and are short of Enniskerry. I presume that these are short workings that do not go to Enniskerry. Shop River, about a mile and a half outside the village on the way up to Glencree was the terminus for all the 85s when I was a regular visitor to Enniskerry in the early 90s, and any variant to Powerscourt will go through the village. Perhaps you could speak to Dublin Bus or another poster could confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,544 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This timetable needs a complete overhaul as it is effectively two separate routes - one from Bray Station to Enniskerry & Shop River, and another for a local Bray service from Bray Station to Palermo Estate in Little Bray , with some local services also serving Fassaroe Estate. On Sundays it is a hybrid service serving Palermo and Shop River.

Any of the buses denoted as operating to/from Powerscourt actually operate via Enniskerry, the main entrance to Powerscourt, and then continue up Kilgarron Hill from Enniskerry to terminate at Shop River. On the return trip they operate directly via Enniskerrry to Bray from Shop River.

OP to answer your question, the following buses serve Enniskerry:
    1) Any buses with no footnote
    2) Any buses with the footnote "c"
    3) Any buses with the footnote "t"
    4) Any buses with the footnote "v"
    5) Any buses with the footnote "s"

ok I thought I was right to be sceptical of a Dublin Bus route , they certainly don't help with a route potentially used by "day trippers". I was cycling to Glencree yesterday and saw the bus and thought brill

thanks for that, very clear
    OP to answer your question, the following buses serve Enniskerry:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

185 Shop River terminus is one of the best for views :D

BXHI42S.jpg

^^^

Nice , its even better when you have had to walk 10 miles to get to it, nice sight!

One thing what does "Shop River" refer to or mean, is it a makey up Dublin Bus term or something locals use, its not on any map I have?

The laneway on the left shortly after the bus terminus is Shop River.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

silverharp wrote: »
    One thing what does "Shop River" refer to or mean, is it a makey up Dublin Bus term or something locals use, its not on any map I have?
    See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056715321 towards the end of the thread.

cheers, its the oddest name for a place which again didn't help as a first time user of the route. It worked out ok, bus went through Eniskerry village and to Powerscourt gate first, then did a u turn back to the village and then up the hill. Driver was very chatty ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 woodstock1708

I’m planning to do Wicklow Way Day 1 (Marlay Park to Knockree) during the August Bank Holiday, and I’ll be returning to Dublin by public transport.

When I checked out the 185 on the Dublin Bus website, I found all the listed route variations to be quite confusing, and I’m glad to see that some others here were puzzled as well.

After finishing the 21km walk, I’m planning to walk or get a lift from the Knockree Youth Hostel approximately 3 km to the 185 terminus (Stop 4108 - Shop River) on the L1011, adjacent to the northwest side of Powerscourt Gold Club.

I spoke to a Dublin Bus Customer Service Agent on 21 July 2014, and after checking with a colleague, he confirmed for me that all the departure times listed on the timetable will depart from Stop 4108, but then depending on the variation, will take various routes.

This is how I had read the timetable, but I wanted to be absolutely sure before getting stuck out there after a long day.

From there, the route varies and I guess it’s best to check with the driver to see exactly where it will go, but if what the agent told me is indeed correct, from the timetable it appears that there are plenty of afternoon departures from Shop River on Saturdays (16:00p, 16:40p, 17:00, 18:20v, 19:40v) and a few on Sundays (16:30t, 17:50c, 19:10t).

Once on that bus, I could transfer to the 44 in Enniskerry or continue on to the Bray train station, depending on connection times.

Depending on whether or not it works out, I’ll post back in a few weeks’ time.

On Sundays/bank holidays all buses serve Shop River and the times shown are those departing the terminus there.

As I posted above:

the following buses serve Enniskerry and terminate at Shop River:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

from the timetable it appears that there are plenty of afternoon departures from Shop River on Saturdays (16:00p, 16:40p, 17:00, 18:20v, 19:40v) and a few on Sundays (16:30t, 17:50c, 19:10t).

Be careful, departures marked with 'p' do not come from Shop River, they leave from Palmero.

The Saturday afternoon times from Shop River are 14:20, 15:40, 17:00, 18:20.

To be absolutely clear the following are the only buses that go from Bray to Enniskerry and Shop River and v.v.:

Monday to Friday:
    From Bray:

07:35, 08:45, 09:45, 10:45, 11:45, 12:45, 13:45, 14:45, 15:45, 16:45, 17:45, 18:45, 20:05, 20:50, 21:40, 22:30, 23:20

From Shop River:
    07:05, 08:05, 09:15, 10:15, 11:15, 12:15, 13:15, 14:15, 15:15, 16:15, 17:15, 18:15, 19:25, 20:35, 21:15, 22:05, 22:55, 23:45

Saturdays:
    From Bray:

07:00, 08:00, 09:40, 11:00, 12:20, 13:40, 15:00, 16:20, 17:40, 19:00, 20:40, 21:40, 22:30, 23:20

From Shop River:
    07:40, 09:00, 10:20, 11:40, 13:00, 14:20, 15:40, 17:00, 18:20, 19:40, 21:10, 22:05, 22:55, 23:45

Sundays/Bank Holidays:
    From Bray:

10:30, 11:50, 13:10, 14:30, 15:50, 17:10, 18:30, 19:50, 21:10, 22:25, 23:20

From Shop River:
    11:10, 12:30, 13:50, 15:10, 16:30, 17:50, 19:10, 20:30, 21:50, 22:55, 23:45

Advertisement