Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards/Functionality Available - June 2014

Options
  • 19-06-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭

I've updated this thread for the additional functionality that has been added recently, including:
    • LEAP now valid on Collins Coaches between Carrickmacross and Dublin;
    • Dublin Visitor LEAP Card;
    • Dublin Trainee LEAP Card;
    • Bus Eireann monthly tickets in Cork;
    • Monthly taxsaver multi-mode tickets in Dublin
    • A note on the forthcoming changes to child fares.
    =============================================================================== ==========================

LEAP CARD – Cards Available:
    • Adult unpersonalised
    • Adult personalised
    • Child LEAP card (3-12)
    • Child LEAP card (12-15) - Personalised
    • Student travelcard - Personalised
    • Visitor LEAP Card (See below)
    • Trainee LEAP Card (See below)
    Note that from August 2014 (precise date yet to be announced) the personalised child leap card will be extended to include all children aged 16-18, and the base age for child fares will be increased to 4 years of age.

=============================================================================== ==========================

LEAP CARD – Summary of Ticket Products Available:

Leap can be used in two modes:
    • Pay-as-you-go epurse
    • Period pass offering unlimited travel on one or more modes

PAY-AS-YOU-GO E-PURSE:

· Dublin Bus (All services) - Daily and weekly (Monday-Sunday) capping applies (see below) – Tag on only - May require to interact with driver.

Note:
    One person holding a LEAP card can pay for a companion on Dublin Bus using the epurse. This applies if the cardholder is using a period pass or the epurse for their own travel.

· Irish Rail (Dublin Short Hop Zone only) – Daily and weekly (Monday-Sunday) capping applies (see below) – Tag on and off

Note:
    The Irish Rail Short Hop Zone incorporates all stations from Kilcoole to Balbriggan, Howth, M3 Parkway and Maynooth and from Dublin Heuston to Hazelhatch.

· Bus Eireann (Greater Dublin Area –excepting 100X and 101) – Tag on only via driver - Currently restricted to Adult LEAP card only

· Bus Eireann (Greater Cork Area) – Tag on only via driver - Currently restricted to Adult LEAP card only

· LUAS (All services) – Daily and weekly (Monday-Sunday) capping applies (see below) – Tag on and off

· Matthews Coaches (Bettystown-Laytown-Dublin service) – Tag on only via driver

· Wexford Bus (Wexford-Dublin-Dublin Airport service only) – Tag on only via driver

· Swords Express (All services) – Tag on only via driver

· Collins Coaches (Dublin-Ardee-Carrickmacross services) – Tag on only via driver

Dublin Bus, Irish Rail Short Hop, and LUAS pay-as-you-go epurse fares can be found here.

CAPPING ON PAY-AS-YOU-GO:
    An automated daily or weekly (Monday-Sunday) cap will be applied to all e-purse transactions. Different caps will apply to single operators, or where two or more operators are used as below.

Single Operator Capping Levels:

Dublin Bus:
    Daily - Adult €6.90 / Student €5.00 / Child €2.50
    Weekly (Monday-Sunday) - Adult €27.50 / Student €20.00 / Child €8.20

Note:
    For Dublin Bus Xpresso, Outer Suburban 2, and Nitelink services a maximum of €2.50 (€1.15 for a child) of the fare contributes towards the cap. Airlink, tours and special events are excluded from the cap.

LUAS:
    Daily - Adult €6.40 / Student €5.00 / Child €2.50
    Weekly (Monday-Sunday) - Adult €23.50 / Student €18.00 / Child €8.20

Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone):
    Daily - Adult €9.20 / Student €6.90 / Child €3.10
    Weekly (Monday-Sunday) - Adult €35.50 / Student €27.00 / Child €12.00

Multi-Operator Capping Levels:
    The following caps apply where two or more operators are used.

Dublin Bus / LUAS / Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone):
    Daily - Adult €10.00 / Student €7.50 / Child €3.50
    Weekly (Monday-Sunday) - Adult €40.00 / Student €30.00 / Child €14.00

Note:
    For Dublin Bus Xpresso, Outer Suburban 2, and Nitelink services a maximum of €2.50 (€1.15 for a child) of the fare contributes towards the cap. Airlink, tours and special events are excluded from the cap.

More information on capping is available here.

TOPPING UP LEAP CARD E-PURSE

The LEAP card e-purse can be topped up a number of different ways:
    • At one of over 400 Payzone LEAP card agents around Dublin and also in Cork
    • At any LUAS ticket machine
    • At any Irish Rail ticket machine in the Short Hop Zone
    • Online at www.leapcard.ie - Note that this option requires you to subsequently visit your nominated "load location" to physically load the top-up amount onto the card
    • Via Auto top-up - this is the easiest way of topping up the card. It automatically tops up your Leap Card with funds from your bank account, whenever your Travel Credit balance falls below €10. You can choose to Auto Top-Up by €30.00, €40.00 or €50.00. Note that this requires your card to be registered on the LEAP website and a direct debit to be set up.

PERIOD PASSES:
    The following unlimited travel period passes / tickets can be loaded onto a LEAP card, either online (requires you to then visit a payzone outlet) or at a payzone outlet directly:

Dublin Bus:

Rambler 5 Day Adult - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Rambler 30 Day Adult - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Rambler 5 Day Student – requires Student LEAP Card - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Rambler 30 Day Student – requires Student LEAP Card - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Rambler 1 Day Family - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Freedom 3 Day Pass (including Airlink and Hop on-Hop off City Tour) - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Airlink Return Ticket - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Hop on-Hop off City Tour ticket

Annual Bus Only Travelwide Ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only via Validator on righthand side

Note that where you have more than one product loaded onto the card, you can ask the driver to select which product you wish to use by putting the card on his ticket machine. If you have two versions of the same product (e.g. 2 x 30 Day Rambler tickets), the righthand validator will automatically select the older product.

Irish Rail Short Hop Zone:

Annual Rail Only (Short Hop Zone) (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off

Bus Eireann Greater Dublin Area:

Daily (24 hours) Greater Dublin Area zonal unlimited travel tickets - Tag on only via driver and valid for 24 hours from date/time of first activation - available for any one of 5 different zones

Weekly (7 day) Greater Dublin Area zonal unlimited travel tickets - Tag on only via driver and valid for 7 consecutive days from date/time of first activation - available for any one of 5 different zones

There are 5 coloured zones surrounding Dublin (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow and Orange) that extend cumulatively out as far as Newry, Monaghan, Cavan, Granard, Longford, Tullamore, Portlaoise and Gorey.

For more information on Bus Eireann zonal tickets in the Dublin Area see here.

Bus Eireann Cork City/Suburban tickets:

Daily (24 hours) Cork City/Suburban zonal unlimited travel tickets - Tag on only via driver and valid for 24 hours from date/time of first activation - available for any one of 2 different zones

Weekly (7 day) Cork City/Suburban zonal unlimited travel tickets - Tag on only via driver and valid for 7 consecutive days from date/time of first activation - available for any one of 2 different zones

Monthly Cork City/Suburban zonal unlimited travel tickets - Tag on only via driver and valid for a calendar month - available for any one of 2 different zones

There are 2 coloured zones surrounding Cork, the Red Zone for Cork City services 201 to 219 (excluding suburban portion of 215), and the Green Zone which additionally includes Suburban services as far as Carrigtwohill to the East, Ballincollig to the west, Crosshaven to the south, and Cloghroe to the north, covering all of routes 215, 221, 222, 223, 226, 226A, 232, and routes 260 and 261 as far as Carrigtwohill.

For more information on using LEAP in Cork, please see here.

LUAS:

Annual LUAS all zone tickets (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off

Monthly LUAS all zone tickets (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off

Wexford Bus:

Weekly 10 Journey Ticket Adult - Tag on only via driver

Weekly 10 Journey Ticket Student - Tag on only via driver

Swords Express:

10 Journey Ticket - Tag on only via driver

Collins Coaches:
    10 Journey Ticket - Tag on only via driver

Multi-Operator:

Dublin Bus/Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone):

Annual Dublin Bus/Irish Rail Short Hop ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on Irish Rail

Dublin Bus/LUAS:

Annual Dublin Bus/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on LUAS

Monthly Dublin Bus/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on LUAS - Only available via Taxsaver scheme at www.taxsaver.ie

Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone)/LUAS:

Annual Irish Rail Short Hop/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS

Monthly Irish Rail Short Hop/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS - Only available via Taxsaver scheme at www.taxsaver.ie

Dublin Bus/Irish Rail (Short Hop Zone)/LUAS

Annual Dublin Bus/Irish Rail Short Hop/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS

Monthly Dublin Bus/Irish Rail Short Hop/LUAS ticket (requires personalised LEAP card) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS - Only available via Taxsaver scheme at www.taxsaver.ie

Visitor LEAP Card (only available to purchase at Dublin Airport) - Valid for 3 days (including Airlink 747) - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS

Trainee LEAP Card (only available through foreign language schools to registered students) - Valid for 1, 2, 3 or 4 weeks - Tag on only on Dublin Bus, tag on/tag off on Irish Rail and LUAS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Bus Eireann's zonal map of Dublin is still desperate, no indication of where the boundaries are. What zone is Lusk in for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bus Eireann don't serve Lusk, but I'd agree the map needs to completely redrafted, as it is geographically incorrect, has at least one major error, and a full list of zonal boundaries added for each PSO route.

Blake's Cross (the closest stop to Lusk) would, I suspect, be in the red zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

lxflyer wrote: »
    Bus Eireann don't serve Lusk, but I'd agree the map needs to completely redrafted, as it is geographically incorrect, has at least one major error, and a full list of zonal boundaries added for each PSO route.

Blake's Cross (the closest stop to Lusk) would, I suspect, be in the red zone.

Blakes Cross and Ballough are all in Lusk. BÉ busses also pick up and let down at the round towers service station here but we've wondered off topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blass

Previously I enjoyed the freedom of my annual bus and luas ticket. Now that I have been issued a taxsaver leapcard (paid in full upfront by my employer) I am being asked to Tag on and off for each and every luas journey? What is the point in this? Apart form statistic gathering I see no reason for it. If I do not tag on and an inspector discovers this what can he do? I have not cheated Luas out of any money, I have paid in full upfront for one years unlimited travel.

It's pretty much for statistical use. It gives them information on trips and allows them plan future services.

But let's be honest - it's hardly that difficult to tag on/tag off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blass

I find the worst times for this is at peak times when I am commuting. For instance St Stephens green has a stupidly small "Holding Pen" where everyone is pushing in opposite directions to leave/enter the luas, add to this a queue of people waiting to tag on/off with their prepaid fully loaded cards and it is a mess.

blass wrote: »
    I find the worst times for this is at peak times when I am commuting. For instance St Stephens green has a stupidly small "Holding Pen" where everyone is pushing in opposite directions to leave/enter the luas, add to this a queue of people waiting to tag on/off with their prepaid fully loaded cards and it is a mess.

Well what I always do is use the opposite platform at St Stephen's Green to tag off - much easier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Auto-TopUp worked fine, but took a long time (ten days) to actually go out of my account - is that usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

spurious wrote: »
    Auto-TopUp worked fine, but took a long time (ten days) to actually go out of my account - is that usual?

Yes it usually over a week for the transaction to process and the money to be withdrawn from your account. You get email notice of the day it will be withdrawn from your account though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I was able to use my Leap card on the 101 Bus Eireann the other day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

I have had 2 leap cards for months now and i have a 30 day rambler on each.I have just registered both online and when i go into 'My Account' under the section "Tickets" it says I have no tickets on either leap card.However when I go into the ticket history it lists all the times I have used the rambler since the 2nd of July it doesn't go back any further than the 2nd of July despite the fact I have been using the ramblers longer than this and when I go into the travel credit history that lets you go back for months.Does anyone know why this is happening and why it says I have no tickets on either leap card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

spurious wrote: »

Mine took so long to go out of my account I thought I they'd forgotten and I was going to get it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Hi guys,

I have a couple of friends staying with me soon and the visitor leap seems perfect. One of the nights will will be in town and likely end up on the nitelink home.

Is the Visitor Leap Card valid on Nitelink? The only info I can find is it's valid on all scheduled services except tours.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a couple of friends staying with me soon and the visitor leap seems perfect. One of the nights will will be in town and likely end up on the nitelink home.

Is the Visitor Leap Card valid on Nitelink? The only info I can find is it's valid on all scheduled services except tours.

Thanks in advance!

It should work as nitelinks are scheduled. Check with leap themselves. I know my annual pass works on nitelinks (and the 747).

customer.care@leapcard.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On the face of it, it seems to be, but that would be very good value. However, I suspect there may be an error in the publicity materials.

Dublin Bus do have a similar ticket that is definitely [EDIT] not [/EDIT] valid on Nitelink, but also tours.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Tourist-Tickets/
    Tourist Tickets

The 3-Day (72 Hours) Freedom Ticket is the only ticket you will need to take care of all your Dublin sightseeing and transport needs. It gives you the freedom to explore the treasures and sights of the city at your leisure. No need to cram everything into one day - take time to soak up the unique atmosphere which Dublin offers.

Freedom Adult €30.00

* 3 days (72hrs) unlimited travel
    * Valid on Dublin Bus Tour – Hop on Hop off and All Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso, excluding Nitelink.
    * Airlink Express between Dublin Airport, City Centre & Heuston & Connolly Rail Stations
    * All Dublin Bus scheduled services

Freedom Child (u14yrs) €14.00
    * 3 days (72hrs) unlimited travel
    * Valid on Dublin Bus Tour – Hop on Hop off and All Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso, excluding nitelink.
    * Airlink Express between Dublin Airport, City Centre & Heuston & Connolly Rail Stations
    * All Dublin Bus scheduled services

Tourists can also choose from a number of our Rambler tickets.

The Airlink 747 Express bus serves Heuston + Connolly Rail Stations, the Central Bus Station and the Luas Red Line. It runs every 15-20 mins daily. Once it leaves the City Centre it travels through the port tunnel direct to the Airport. It serves a large amount of hotels, guesthouses and hostels along the route.

The Airlink is only €6 for a single journey and €10 for a return. Single and return journeys can be purchased from the driver of the Airlink bus, retail outlets at Terminal 1 Dublin Airport, Dublin Bus 59 Upper O’Connell Street, online and many accommodation providers and newsagents throughout the city. Need a receipt for travelling on the Airlink?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd expect not, not the leapcard website it states:

https://www.leapcard.ie/en/PageSetting/ContentViewer.aspx?Val=W2YN67IrBnhwjbdYS7EvW6LkRbNNu0ZwG9upvDwq7Yg05KYQYKAkdN%2bVbAdPSVYS7hUIcvAyUqH5XYb%2b9GUpeCoV1yxijLqkRorYEWB%2bJXRSc2xfitBhZCGyuebfW7ZBJzbz8FHnwGIG50Dyq2op08ZSsgw47LO753h27CkUIxE%3d
    Dublin Bus is the biggest public transport provider in the Greater Dublin Area operating over 136 routes. Normal services run from 5.00am until midnight.

Edit:
    You'll need to check with Dublin Bus anyway as it relates to their service.

If you have your own leapcard and enough credit on it anyway, you can use that for the nitelink fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I'm beginning to think DB transfer tickets are never going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Victor, since when were Freedoms valid on Nitelinks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Victor, since when were Freedoms valid on Nitelinks?

The information he quotes states "excludes nitelinks."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

AngryLips wrote: »

I'd imagine it's well down on their list of priorities behind getting all the existing stuff plus capping working first.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    On the face of it, it seems to be, but that would be very good value. However, I suspect there may be an error in the publicity materials.

Dublin Bus do have a similar ticket that is definitely valid on Nitelink, but also tours.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Tourist-Tickets/

Victor - I would suggest you re-read that, as it says:

Valid on Dublin Bus Tour – Hop on Hop off and All Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso, excluding Nitelink.

In other words, the Freedom ticket is not valid on Nitelink.

I wouldn't necessarily expect Nitelink to be included on the Visitor Leapcard either as it is a special service.

The only way of checking is to contact LEAP directly - easiest way is via twitter @leapcard

AngryLips wrote: »

DB Transfer tickets already exist - have you heard of the Travel 90 product?

10 Journey Travel 90 Adult €27.50

• Valid for 10 journeys of 90 minutes unlimited travel
    • Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Xpresso (excluding Airlink, Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    • Tickets are for individual use only and may not be used by a group
    • No CIE photo ID required

Travel rebates on LEAP are on the "to do list". I think you have to accept that getting everything working with something like this is going to take time.

There's been quite a lot of progress in the last six months, and I think we are getting closer to the point where they look at this sort of thing.

Received an email back from leap.

They confirmed that the Nitelink is NOT valid on Visitor Leap Card.

Once again we get so close to having a combined ticket for everything, but we stop short and exclude the service that gets people home from a night out in town (a city famous for its nightlife) when they arw visiting.

As a result it now works out cheaper for the journies planned over the few days to not get a visitor leap card and we will get a taxi home because for 4 of us it will be cheaper, faster and we can go home as we please.

Received an email back from leap.

They confirmed that the Nitelink is NOT valid on Visitor Leap Card.

Once again we get so close to having a combined ticket for everything, but we stop short and exclude the service that gets people home from a night out in town (a city famous for its nightlife) when they arw visiting.

As a result it now works out cheaper for the journies planned over the few days to not get a visitor leap card and we will get a taxi home because for 4 of us it will be cheaper, faster and we can go home as we please.

Realistically not including Nitelink will only affect a small number of visitors as most foreign visitors (who this card is aimed at) would stay within a short distance of the city centre.

Hardly the end of the world.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Realistically not including Nitelink will only affect a small number of visitors as most foreign visitors (who this card is aimed at) would stay within a short distance of the city centre.

Hardly the end of the world.

Well then include it in the deal!

It's funny telling tourists here is a ticket that is valid on all services. You can go up and down all day from Connolly - Balbriggan, Bray Maynooth all Buses / Luas travel on the Airlink, but not on one journey on the Nitelink!

Well then include it in the deal!

It's funny telling tourists here is a ticket that is valid on all services. You can go up and down all day from Connolly - Balbriggan, Bray Maynooth all Buses / Luas travel on the Airlink, but not on one journey on the Nitelink!

I meant it is not the end of the world for not including it as very few people will be discommoded by it.

Given they've already included travel on the Airlink worth €10, I hardly think that they're going to offer another (potentially) €10 for the Nitelink for free as well (if the 72 hours include a Friday and Saturday night).

That would mean normal buses/trains/trams potentially being free for three days.

I think you need to be realistic - that would be a loss leader.

As I say most foreign visitors will stay in/around the city centre and they are who this ticket is aimed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

NTA email wrote:
    We are correcting information sources to confirm that the visitor pass IS valid on Dublin Bus Nitelink services.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

Student and Child Leap cards can now be used on Bus Eireann.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=375

Period ticket options slightly different from Adult Leap.
    Can't find anything on single tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭spuddy

It doesn't appear that Irish Rail "Rolling Rail" tickets can be loaded onto a Leap card? Hoping I'm wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Apologies for posting here, did not want to start a new thread.

My son now has a leap card. Quick question, when travelling to school on Dublin Bus which validator does he use, does he need to interact with the driver.

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement