Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather station in Eyre Sq.

Options
  • 26-11-2014 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

anyone know who's weather station it is on top of one of the flag poles in Eyre Sq., just curious

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

jkforde wrote: »
    anyone know who's weather station it is on top of one of the flag poles in Eyre Sq., just curious

Pure speculation but it might be part of a sensor system to warn the City Council roads department when conditions are conducive to the formation of black ice.

The NRA use similar equipment to predict black ice on motorways.

I have a comment forming at the back of my mind regarding the typical council response to ice but I'll keep it to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Funny, I noticed it today before seeing this post and wondered as well what it's there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

My guess it's for the Christmas Market? Most temporary structures (stages, tents) tc are only good up to wind strengths of 60 kph or so. The market closed for a night last year due to gale force winds. The organisers would have to have a method of determining local wind conditions as part of their licence.

Advertisement