Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick's Spending Power

Options
  • 28-02-2007 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Apparently we have more spending power than anywhere else outside Dublin...

Cash-rich Dubs put not-so-fat Cats into the shade

WHILE they might bemoan the cost of living in the capital, Dubliners have emerged as those with the most cash to spend in their spare time.

Those with the least in their pockets are not from the supposedly poor west, but the citizens of Kilkenny.

Figures from the Central Statistics Office say the average Dub has €4,500 more to spend each year than the average Cat.

Disposable income is earnings plus benefits, less deductions of tax and PRSI. Although Kilkenny folk may have the least amount to spend, they make almost €300 more a year than the lowest earners, people in Co Donegal.

If this seems strange, it is because the value of a house is included in the definition of income. Earnings in the eastern region are boosted by high property prices.

A breakdown of the figures showed that Dubliners got 7pc of their income from the value of property, and 15pc from state benefits. This compared with 4.5pc from property and 19pc from benefits in the south-east.

Dubliners paid out 20pc of their income in taxes, compared with 17pc to 18pc in the other regions.

The figures show average disposable income per person - man, woman and child - at almost €18,800 in 2004, the latest year for which data is available.

The Dublin figure of €20,988 was 11.8pc more than the national average, while Co Kilkenny's €16,369 was 14.7pc below average.

Income

However, individual county figures are subject to significant error. A more reliable guide is those for regions. These show disposable income of €18,828 in the mid-west region, €18,427 in the mid-east, €18,301 in the south-west, €17,852 in the west, €17,328 in the Border area, €17,280 in the midlands and €17,126 in the south-east.

On average, Dubliners had a total income of €26,229 in 2004, which includes the rent theoretically earned from a house. Countrywide, the average person earned €23,221, with a disposable income of €18,781. The other counties with the lowest disposable income were Wexford, Carlow, Kerry, Offaly, Roscommon and Donegal. Apart from the capital, those with the biggest spending power are in Limerick and Cork, at €19,500 and €18,869. Co Kildare is also ranked above average but, at €19,295 per person, it was beaten by Limerick into third place.

Shane Hickey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Doesn't really surprize me. IIRC we're the least expensive city property wise and rental income from 2nd houses is probably a major factor in the findings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Our unjust reputation is actually good for something then!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hardly surprising, Limerick is a very polarised place, outside of Dublin, Limerick probably has the largest gap between rich and poor. It's actually stunning that the stats would show the Limerick region being that well off, considering various areas well publicised problems with unemployment. The middle-class and richer would actually be better off than those stats suggest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I never did find out who that was driving that Brand new 250,000 euro Bentley up O'Connell street last friday ...... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

my bugatti veryron is in the post...

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote:
    my bugatti veryron is in the post...

Yep .... I heard they were a bit on the small size .... :p

Bugatti%20Veyron%202%20-%201024x768.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

hobie wrote:
    I never did find out who that was driving that Brand new 250,000 euro Bentley up O'Connell street last friday ...... :(

You don't remember the number plate by any chance? there is www.cartell.ie which will give you the requested information for a little fee...

EDIT: Sorry, it doesn't give the owners name.

You don't remember the number plate by any chance? there is www.cartell.ie which will give you the requested information for a little fee...

EDIT: Sorry, it doesn't give the owners name.

It was 07-LK-02

It would be nice to know if I had driven up O'Connell street, right behind someone famous! :p

I must have asked 20 peeps on the day and no one knew .... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

hobie wrote:
    It was 07-LK-02

It would be nice to know if I had driven up O'Connell street, right behind someone famous! :p

I must have asked 20 peeps on the day and no one knew .... :(

Well "01" is the mayors car, not sure about "02".

Well "01" is the mayors car, not sure about "02".

Maybe his wife's ? ...... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement