Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work going on at Texaco Behind Bishopstown Bar

• 09-04-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Anybody know if this is re-opening as a petrol station ?

I seen workers there last week messing with the pumps and flushing out the underground tanks. It would be handy if it is reopening as a petrol station since the nearby topaz is gone .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, I hear that the crowd who run the Topaz on the Carrigrohane Road have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

jimgoose wrote: »
    Yes, I hear that the crowd who run the Topaz on the Carrigrohane Road have it.
    Hopefully true, Topaz are usually good quality fuel and cheaper than the local Maxol.

Hopefully true, Topaz are usually good quality fuel and cheaper than the local Maxol.

I'll put it this way - according to solocheck.ie, two directors of O'Reilly Straight Road Limited are also directors of Firgrove Service Station Limited since December 2014. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Infracted

Does anyone know whats going to happen to the ex-Topaz/Toyota site near to this Texaco thats having work down right now?

Infracted wrote: »
    Does anyone know whats going to happen to the ex-Topaz/Toyota site near to this Texaco thats having work down right now?
    Aldi , there is another thread discussing it plus it has had some minor coverage in local papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Aldi , there is another thread discussing it plus it has had some minor coverage in local papers.
    This is probably the key here. The garage is essentially being moved across the road.

TheChizler wrote: »
    This is probably the key here. The garage is essentially being moved across the road.

You mean over to the former coffee-house sort of place, that itself used to be a service station some years back? Bejabers, Willie O'Brien has certainly kick-started the old enthusiasm for gas-stations around the place! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You mean over to the former coffee-house sort of place, that itself used to be a service station some years back? Bejabers, Willie O'Brien has certainly kick-started the old enthusiasm for gas-stations around the place! :pac:
    I mean we're losing one petrol station to Aldi but gaining another behind the Bish?

TheChizler wrote: »
    I mean we're losing one petrol station to Aldi but gaining another behind the Bish?

Oh, I see - yes, that's essentially it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭ofcork

Why did it close it was always busy enough in there.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »

A couple of people said to me last year it was because of the cost of drive-offs, apparently that particular place was plagued with it for some reason. That might be some distance from the truth, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Anti social behaviour, gangs of marauding teenagers hanging out there every evening putting people off.
    Same problem around the old Dunne's, The Outpost, Chopsticks,Dino's and the apartments.
    The problem was at its worst in summer or school holiday time when you would see parents from outlying areas dropping their kids off to engage in anti social behaviour and then pick them up after 11.

Anti social behaviour, gangs of marauding teenagers hanging out there every evening putting people off.
    Same problem around the old Dunne's, The Outpost, Chopsticks,Dino's and the apartments.
    The problem was at its worst in summer or school holiday time when you would see parents from outlying areas dropping their kids off to engage in anti social behaviour and then pick them up after 11.

You would see gangs of youngsters hanging around by Dino's a couple of years ago looking for "entertainment", especially on Saturday evenings, but as far as I can see it's largely fizzled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

Anyone have any idea of an expected opening date?

bg07 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of an expected opening date?

According to the Bishopstown News, it'll be open (as a Texaco/Spar) at the end of this month, with an official unveiling later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

You cant be for real, Topaz is by far and a long shot the most expensive petrol outlet in Ireland, I avoid them like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

bogman wrote: »
    You cant be for real, Topaz is by far and a long shot the most expensive petrol outlet in Ireland, I avoid them like the plague.

I find some of them OK on the fuel side, but they certainly know how to charge for coffee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

From pumps.ie

Maxol
    Glasheen Road, Glasheen 140.9c
    10th Apr
    Texaco
    Westside Service Station, Model Farm Road 143.9c

The 2 most expensive in Cork City.
    Topaz is average to be honest. Currently all Topaz garages seem to be charging 139.9 in Cork according to pumps.

It varies hugely even between forecourts of the same brand. At the moment, the Texaco in Pouladuff, along with the Maxol on the Bandon Road, are two of the cheaper ones around. The Texaco on Model Farm Road and the Maxol in Glasheen are two of the more expensive.

every forecourt is a different price. Since I buy my petrol in the Wilton biahopstown areas for the last decade I would say I am more familiar with local prices than you.

Yes amber is now cheaper but I don't like their fuel purchasing policy. With topaz I know what I am getting is consistent every time , and is almost always cheaper than the maxol by wilton

• Advertisement

...amber is now cheaper but I don't like their fuel purchasing policy...

Do tell?

Do tell?
    I dont want to start a big debate on fuel quality etc and sources but there is nothing major to tell, a family member and a friend of the family got caught out with some expensive engine repairs from contaminated fuel from 2 different stations around the country.

Am also friends with someone who started buying with them recently and after a recent fill up engine didnt run right at all, her husband is a farmer and emptied the fuel tank and put new fuel in and engine was back to running normal.

They say all their fuel is directly from Whitegate, but to me these issues wouldnt occur if there wasnt some weak link in the chain.

As i said its a personal choice, have been buying in Topaz for years with no issues.

...As i said its a personal choice, have been buying in Topaz for years with no issues.

Mmmm. Well, I get all my petrol from ol' J.R. at Texaco, so it's all the one to me.

Since I buy my petrol in the Wilton biahopstown areas for the last decade I would say I am more familiar with local prices than you.

Don't think so, living in the west of the city for 40 years so you have a bit to go yet......

Esso South Link road yesterday, get my petrol from here most of the time, ill post today's price later, from what I remember its beats anything posted here by a long shot usually...

Texaco & Topaz seem to be operating a cozy cartel where they co-exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Don't think so, living in the west of the city for 40 years so you have a bit to go yet......

Esso South Link road yesterday, get my petrol from here most of the time, ill post today's price later, from what I remember its beats anything posted here by a long shot usually...

Texaco & Topaz seem to be operating a cozy cartel where they co-exist.

136.9 yesterday there. Yes they are usually the cheapest in the city. No one is disagreeing with that. But your assertion that "Topaz is by far and a long shot the most expensive petrol outlet in Ireland" is clearly not true just from a cursory glance at pumps.ie which is pretty accurate.

I see there is some site drilling going on now on the site on western road which also used to be a garage near the river lee hotel.

Esso south link road could not be classed as the same area as bishopstown / wilton. The entire discussion is about bishpstown/wilton and prices around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I see there is some site drilling going on now on the site on western road which also used to be a garage near the river lee hotel.

I see there's planning for a new Maxol/Mace 24hr station. Some objections from the River Lee hotel and local residents. Says on Bord Pleanala website it was due to be decided by 17/04/15 so they must have got the planning if they're drilling already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I used to love the old garage there, they used to have savage donuts way back, crikey a long way back like 15 years.

• Advertisement

I believe that site was originally bought by the reardens owner to build apartments,also the site in wilton across from the aldi site is up for sale but a garage cannot be built there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

54kroc wrote: »
    I used to love the old garage there, they used to have savage donuts way back, crikey a long way back like 15 years.

Twas a great stop off at 3am on the way home.... happy days back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They had Dunkin Donuts there in the past. Unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

the boy racers will be delighted that their old haunt is coming back!

Esso south link road could not be classed as the same area as bishopstown / wilton. The entire discussion is about bishpstown/wilton and prices around there.

Maybe so but the "cozy cartel" is alive and well in the Bishopstown area so I look for better value, by the way petrol was 140.9/l on the South link yesterday but was only 133.9/l in Mayfield, several petrol stations in the Rosscarbery/Leap area have similar prices.

North south divide !!!

A couple of people said to me last year it was because of the cost of drive-offs, apparently that particular place was plagued with it for some reason. That might be some distance from the truth, though.

I worked there for 9 months back in 1999,ever Fri and Sun 3 to 11pm, there was 1 pump (one furthest from the shop) that the CCTV didn't have great coverage on. Back than drive offs were very rare and I never had one on my shifts :)

Often wondered why it closed too, the takings were half and half typically (half petrol half shop stuff), impressive turnover, a few thousand a day plus in non petrol high profit margin stuff.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    ...the takings were half and half typically (half petrol half shop stuff), impressive turnover, a few thousand a day plus in non petrol high profit margin stuff.

Wouldn't surprise me. It was in a great spot.

Place is looking close to completion now, Spar shop inside there. Texaco are still the fuel supplier. Which is good for competition as there is topaz & maxol nearby

Augeo wrote: »
    I worked there for 9 months back in 1999,ever Fri and Sun 3 to 11pm, there was 1 pump (one furthest from the shop) that the CCTV didn't have great coverage on. Back than drive offs were very rare and I never had one on my shifts :)

Often wondered why it closed too, the takings were half and half typically (half petrol half shop stuff), impressive turnover, a few thousand a day plus in non petrol high profit margin stuff.

I should probably apologize to you for being an annoying teenage brat hanging around outside the 'Statoil' back in those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Place is looking close to completion now, Spar shop inside there. Texaco are still the fuel supplier. Which is good for competition as there is topaz & maxol nearby

This is interesting and welcome news in terms of much needed local competition. That garage had closed down and re-opened previously so it is like history repeating itself again!

Did you know that the former TEXACO Forecourt Garage also re-opened on the South Douglas Road (Back Douglas Rd) recently and it seems to be run now by the Kevin O'Leary Motor Group with a well-stocked shop which will effectively be like a rival to the CENTRA Store on the grounds of the Kevin O'Leary Car Showrooms site nearby.

I assume you are referring to the TOPAZ garage opposite entrance to Dunnes Stores @ Bishopstown Court on Bandon Rd? Other TOPAZ in Wilton closed to make way for a new ALDI Supermarket - Before Topaz this was previously a StatOil station and prior to this again was a BP (British Petroleum) forecourt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This looked open this morning.

On the examiner yesterday the planned garage on the western road has been refused planning,objections from the hotel and issue with the café aspect.

On the examiner yesterday the planned garage on the western road has been refused planning,objections from the hotel and issue with the café aspect.

Yeah, I recall that this used to be a busy ESSO forecourt service station open 24hrs a day and popular with Boy Racers. It used have a giant TIGER on the canopy for a while too! I think the site was then earmarked for an apartment development but the massive downturn knocked this firmly on the head.

The hotel in question was raging at the idea that the use of this site would return to a garage again as they claim they had located some of their more upmarket quiet bedrooms closest to this site location but I'm not sure if the hotel can effectively dictate what ultimately is eventually situated on a nearby site that for many years had been a garage on the same site. Maybe the hotel's owners should ask if they can buy the former garage site and stump up with the going market rate as this is probably the only way they can exercise such control over that particular site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Wasn't that to be a site for a private hospital.

vince wrote: »
    Wasn't that to be a site for a private hospital.

The private hospital (as part of former Health Minister, Mary Harney's Co-Location Policy) was earmarked at the former ESSO Carbery Service Station just outside CUH Hospital. The plan involved not only the former ESSO Garage but there was also mention of some of the houses directly behind the garage facing demolition as part of that private hospital plan at the time.

Meanwhile, after the ESSO garage went, several temporary businesses have since operated at this site. It was a snack bar cafe/car wash at one stage as far as I recall. Prior to it's time as an ESSO Forecourt Garage & Carbery Shop it was RockSavage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Just googled it and read that ocallaghan was planning a hospital whitin the old jurys hotel site. So the garage was probably earmarked for apartments.

As I said in previous post that site on western road was earmarked for apartments aimed at the student population similar to those in Victoria cross.

vince wrote: »
    Just googled it and read that ocallaghan was planning a hospital whitin the old jurys hotel site. So the garage was probably earmarked for apartments.

This was another private hospital proposal by developer Owen O'Callaghan Properties (nothing to do with former ESSO Garage on Western Rd) - I think Lancaster Lodge apartments went on the site in question in the end as far as I know.

Meanwhile, the other former ESSO Garage outside CUH in Wilton was actually earmarked for another private hospital to be co-located on an expanded CUH campus as part of Mary Harney public/private partnership plans all those yrs ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Am I right in thinking that the former Esso Garage on Western Rd was once known as the Muskerry service station, back in the 80's/90's? I think it was the first 24hour shop in Cork.

yeah, it was named that because it was on the site of the former Muskerry light railway sidings.

https://flic.kr/p/diR364

• Advertisement
Advertisement