Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Another clean sheet at home, 3 more points, job done.

Now we can start talking about beating that crowd Friday and going top of the league. Couldn't make tonight but will surely be able to sneak out Friday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

No attendance figure announced tonight strangely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Longford could have taken lead and should have scored but we did enough to win the game. Bar 15 minute period in 2nd half we were average enough but bigger picture ahead

Guessing crowd was in around 2,500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Crowd was 2511, disappointing but people definitely holding on for the game on Friday, which will be close to a sell out I'd imagine.

Never had to bust a gut tonight, though we were comfortable without being great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Not the best of games. Buckley did well to get in the position to head it in from close range. Healy was probably going for a cross, but the lads in the box did well to cause a bit of confusion to allow the ball to slip into the net. We had a couple of more chances - particularly Marky Sull right after our first goal - but Longford were unlucky not to score. Kavanagh very lively as usual and deserved man of the match. Thought Dan was a bit dodgy in defence, it'll be good to see Benno back on Friday. We'll have to play better, but the lads will definitely be up for it and kick it up a gear.
    Guessing crowd was in around 2,500

Good guess - 2,511 was the official attendance (apparently announced after full time). Disappointing crowd, thought we'd have gotten at least 3,000. Brings the average attendance down a few hundred. Although, it's early in the season and Friday will probably bring it back above a 4,000 average again. But, as well as increasing for the big matches, we need to be trying to promote the smaller matches to set a higher floor. For most of the big matches, we should be aiming for 5,000+ (though, I'd be expecting 6,000+ on Friday). For smaller matches, we should be aiming for 3,000 at least. A few 4,000s throughout the year on top of that and we'd be at a very good average.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Well, the lads can have no excuses for being tired for the Dundalk game on Friday. They barely got out of second gear today. That said though, they never really needed to anyway!

Comfortable win in the end, but we'll need to play with considerably more intensity if we want to get anything on Friday.

Oh, and yes, the announcer definitely announced the attendance after the game. I heard it myself! :D

Wilberto wrote: »
    Well, the lads can have no excuses for being tired for the Dundalk game on Friday. They barely got out of second gear today. That said though, they never really needed to anyway!

Comfortable win in the end, but we'll need to play with considerably more intensity if we want to get anything on Friday.

Oh, and yes, the announcer definitely announced the attendance after the game. I heard it myself! :D

Once the whistle went I legged it outta there, had the van parked in a friends drive across from tubs and tiles and didn't fancy waiting all night too get it outta there!! Roll on Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

When over 2,500 for a Monday night league game is considered a disappointing crowd you know you're doing something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Monday night games are always a pain in the hole. Nobody wants them, the atmosphere is always flat and the crowd is always down.

It's particularly an issue when there's two home games in the space of a few days - people will hold out for the friday game.

On last night's match, City weren't any great shakes but got the job done - good to get over a potential banana skin with no knocks and three points.

Friday is HUGE. Absolutely huge. Can only imagine the atmosphere at the Cross for it. One of the biggest home games in recent memory...

... and I'm missing it because I'm at a wedding up the country. Beyond gutted.

At least I'll be able to watch it on the RTE Player app.. but still.. nothing beats being there.

Line up for Friday? Nulty, Kav, D Den, Benno, Gaynor, Healy, Miller, Buckley, B Den, Shep (if fit) and O'Flynn (also if fit)

If Shep isn't fit then DJ for him, and Marky for Flynny if Flynny doesn't make it.

I think Dunleavy will miss out, which will be tough on him as he hasn't done much wrong. Although I wouldn't be surprised to see Buckley make way and Dunleavy start. Depends on what Caulfield wants to do really. If he wants to have a go and attack Dundalk he'll go with Buckley, if he wants to treat it like an away game, sit back and counter (which is highly likely IMO) he'll go with Dunleavy.

Either way, it's an intriguing game in prospect.

Roll on Friday! (and me watching the game on my mobile being given out to by Missus Roar for being anti social at the dinner table)

namloc1980 wrote: »
    When over 2,500 for a Monday night league game is considered a disappointing crowd you know you're doing something right.

Limerick had 360 at their game last night

• Advertisement

If you consider we have played 2 games on a Monday or Tuesday night against Galway and Longford that must have cost us extra 2,000 people coming through the gates.

Had the Longford game been on a Friday I say attendance been around 3,500.

We will say average pay through gates is 10 quid (15e adults, fiver for kids) that's 20k lose on money for the club.

That type of money is huge to any club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well out club willingly vote for the shortened season so they can't complain about taking hits on the gate.

Mid week games in LOI are bloody stupid.

I don't even think the Monday night game was itself overly bad. But, as Roar says above, compounding it by being overshadowed by another match on the Friday did an extra bit of damage. In 2011, we played a top of the table clash against Monaghan on a Monday, but we still managed a big crowd for it - 2,500, which was 400 (20%) above our average that year. (I suppose it's good going when I'm saying the same attendance that was good then is poor now). If we were going for the title and had a midweek match (without another home one right after it) in the run-in now, then you'd expect in the mid/high 3000s for a smaller team and in the mid/high 4000s for a top of the table clash. They really shouldn't be giving us away matches on two consecutive Fridays, followed by two home matches in five days. They should've either switched one of the home and away games or else had the midweek one on last night.

Anyway, it's all about Friday now. Should be a massive match. Really buzzing for it, can't wait. I'm not sure if it'll sell out, but it'll be close. I'd be buying my ticket well in advance. Either from the Club Shop, Soho or online on Ticketmaster (the club absorb their handling fee, so it still costs €15 a ticket). It might mean you won't be missing out on getting a ticker, but at the very least it'll save you from queuing up at the hut. The place will be absolutely buzzing.

Expect full house Friday.

Expect full house Friday.

Im not sure it will sell out but how great would it be for the attendance figure to start with a 7. When was the last time that was achieved by a LOI club? Ourselves vs Derry in 2005? (Must'v been 10 thousand in the ground that night)

CHealy wrote: »
    Im not sure it will sell out but how great would it be for the attendance figure to start with a 7. When was the last time that was achieved by a LOI club? Ourselves vs Derry in 2005? (Must'v been 10 thousand in the ground that night)

I think the capacity of Turners Cross is in around 6,500 isn't it?(I'm only half guessing) I know there are more seats but the St Anne's end a third of seats are for seeperation of the away fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think the capacity of Turners Cross is in around 6,500 isn't it?(I'm only half guessing) I know there are more seats but the St Anne's end a third of seats are for seeperation of the away fans.

From Wikipedia Capacity7,485 (all seated)Record attendance12,000/COLOR][COLOR=#0066cc]1[/COLOR][COLOR=#0066cc
    (Cork City vs Dundalk, 21 April 1991)

Seated capacity is 7,365, but apparently our safe capacity is only 6,800. You need a certain number of exits per person in the case of an evacuation and it seems like our capacity was set as that based on the exits that the Cross has. So, the few hundred seats used for segregation etc. don't really make a difference, as we've a reduced capacity anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

rob316 wrote: »
    From Wikipedia Capacity7,485 (all seated)Record attendance12,000/COLOR][COLOR=#0066cc]1[/COLOR][COLOR=#0066cc
    (Cork City vs Dundalk, 21 April 1991)

I remember it well!! Tom McfukinNulty :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

"A new signing will be announced on CorkCityFC.ie in the morning, and he will wear the number 14 jersey ‪#‎CCFC84‬"

• Advertisement

Kevin O Connor from Waterford was the signing.

Over 5300 tickets sold already for tonight (includes season tickets), so if you are in between about going, get your ticket asap.

Over 5300 tickets sold already for tonight (includes season tickets), so if you are in between about going, get your ticket asap.

Serious? That's mad!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Serious? That's mad!

Yep, that means 4300 tickets have been purchased and then the 1000 season tickets, thats incredible,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Club Shop in Douglas, Soho in the Grand Parade and The Beergarden on Evergreen Rd still have some left but are selling fast.
    No gaurentee that tickets will be on sale outside the ground tonight... There might be a few... but not many id say...

This has a proper big game feel about it. I'm sitting in work I might aswell be on the other side of the world. Nothing like the build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

This has a proper big game feel about it. I'm sitting in work I might aswell be on the other side of the world. Nothing like the build up.

Same here. I have to drive from Kilkenny, but I'm leaving at 4:30. Cannot wait.

Still good few tickets in SoHo bar for anyone around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Still good few tickets in SoHo bar for anyone around.

Soho now tweeting that they have sold out...
    Best people try and get to the ground early now if they want a ticket...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

CDXdka-WYAEvFbU.jpg
    Credit to Tony O'Donoghue on Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Just passed the ground there. About 70 people queuing at the turnstiles. Plenty more milling around. C'mon City!

Disappointing loss. Thought we could get a win but we would have been lucky to snatch a draw at the death. Didn't work their keeper, gave them too much room, not enough tackling. Just glad they hit the post and crossbar, had they gone in it would have looked a lot worse.
    Great to see the X packed, but no it good to hear the problems outside the ground with ticket holders not getting in.

What problems?

Have ticket, there's about 100 of us outside, including season ticket holders who are not being allowed in because it's full to capacity. Great to see the problem but I'm pissed off as I've driven down from kk

Taken from the loi soccer thread .

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Have ticket, there's about 100 of us outside, including season ticket holders who are not being allowed in because it's full to capacity. Great to see the problem but I'm pissed off as I've driven down from kk

Taken from the loi soccer thread .

Jesus, were they left in? Haven the full section of the st Anne's between the away fans and home fans is mental!!

• Advertisement

Jesus, were they left in? Haven the full section of the st Anne's between the away fans and home fans is mental!!

Most got in apparently. Glad only half a section was used to separate the fans in St Annes end tonight. No need for a full empty section.

Sorry gents but Caulfield out. Dundalk laughed at us tonight. They played easy within themselves and got the handy 3 points.

4 games. Agregate is 11-2 I think.

1 game and its Caulfield out?

I remember 2 seasons ago we were struggling to 2,000 through the gates for Rovers game and now we had packed house tonight for Top of Table clash..
    Least give the man till end of season. He got us within 45 minutes of winning league last year.

Drunk posting is great isn't it?

But I am genuinely pissed off with Caulfield for last night. Got the tactics spectacularly wrong and didn't/couldn't change it. We deserved nothing last night.

Great crowd. But I heard actual ticket holders were not allowed in as the Gardai closed the gates. That is an absolute joke if true.

gimmick wrote: »
    Drunk posting is great isn't it?

But I am genuinely pissed off with Caulfield for last night. Got the tactics spectacularly wrong and didn't/couldn't change it. We deserved nothing last night.

Great crowd. But I heard actual ticket holders were not allowed in as the Gardai closed the gates. That is an absolute joke if true.

Check the Ccfc forum. It's true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Dunleavey out for 4 months with knee injury, great.

That's certainly a blow!

City live on setanta for anyone interested now V Bohs

City live on setanta for anyone interested now V Bohs

Poor game so far. Terrible pitch. Cracker of a goal from Marky though.

Roar wrote: »
    Poor game so far. Terrible pitch. Cracker of a goal from Marky though.

Brilliant goal! Yup very poor I gotta be honest and say I dozed off n all. Still tho 3points and hopefully beno only has a knock and it's happy days

For those who missed it

https://vine.co/v/eZbUe0DAQ11

Not had the best of results v bohs down the years, happy enough with a point

Not had the best of results v bohs down the years, happy enough with a point

You're joking?

You're joking?

Nope!
    I've always seen bohs and ucd as teams we struggle against. Last year I think we scraped past them 1-0, drew and lost. Didn't catch the game today, maybe we were all over them and they scored with their only shot????

Either way, yet again, we dropped points against bohs, I am not surprised but apparently you are.

Nope!
    I've always seen bohs and ucd as teams we struggle against. Last year I think we scraped past them 1-0, drew and lost. Didn't catch the game today, maybe we were all over them and they scored with their only shot????

Either way, yet again, we dropped points against bohs, I am not surprised but apparently you are.

City went a goal up after 2 minutes and instead of going for a second, decided that was enough and say back for the rest of the game and invited Bohs on to them. It was a terrible performance, Caulfield got his tactics wrong away from home again. If City had pressed the would have won that game. They didn't, and they were punished. Caulfield is going to have to start trusting his players to play some football and actually attack away from home.

A terrible performance, and two points thrown away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement