Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Honeymoon

Options
  • 19-11-2015 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello all. Just looking for a bit of help. Looking into booking a honeymoon for next year - July. Looking to go to a swanky all inclusive resort type place for 9 nights and to a city for 5 nights. Looking for combinations that are not outrageous prices. Any suggestions? I've heard Cancun or Dominican Republic teamed with NY Vegas or Miami. Also heard Maritius teamed with Cape Town. I know it'll be expensive but really just want value for the money we'll be spending. Anyone have hotel suggestions? In the city basic accommodation would suit as would be out and about all day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

langkawi and singapore or hong kong.

(we went to langkawi last july but not singapore or hong kong. didnt like kuala lumpur much but was only there one day. Oh and it was rainy season in langkawi, but it didnt bother us much at all and meant cheaper deals. )

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just booked mine a couple of weeks ago and in terms of the all-inclusive luxury resorts, we couldn't find anything to top Mexico in terms of value for money. Mauritius just seemed to be a step below and for the time we would going - May - it'll be winter in Cape Town. We coupled it with four days each in NY and New Orleans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Wouldnt recommend Mauritius at all. Went to SA and Mauritius for my honeymoon and we both felt we would have been better flying back to Europe and going somewhere swanky in Sicily or something. Mauritius is just not pleasant. The resorts are beautiful (the one we were in was a bit dated mind you), but once you step outside the resort its shanty towns with naked children, dogs and chickens running round the streets and very very poor people. I just dont enjoy a place like that, I like to leave the hotel and have a meander to something cultural, or even a bit of shopping, but it didnt even feel that safe outside of the resort. That was my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SecretBride

Secrets The Vine in Cancun is adults only all inclusive and amazing.....we were there in September....champagne for breakfast and it goes uphill from there lol! Worth checking out.....I'd team it with Vegas and stay somewhere like Wynnes as a special treat :-) I've stayed in 4 or 5 Vegas hotels if I can help with anything?

Another alternative could be a cruise....best of all worlds with a good cruise line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

We did Vegas and Cancun as part of our honeymoon this past July.

Vegas is insanely hot that time of the year, like 42/43 degrees celcius during the day.

Cancun was very hot - mid 30s all the time but it was a very humid heat, the missus got eaten alive by mosquito's a couple of days despite slathering herself in repellent.

Id recommend both tbh if you can deal with the heat.

We stayed in the Aria in Vegas and the Secrets Maroma resort in Cancun.

If you go to Vegas and are a fan of the Beatles, Id highly recommend the Cirque de Soleil show, Love, it is out of this world.

Another suggestion could be San Francisco. It was both mine and my wife's favourite place we were in. Absolutely gorgeous city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

wow thats really interesting to hear about Mauritius. We are in the same boat as OP..looking to do a multi centre trip but we will be travelling in October so it is rainy season in a lot of Asia & Maldives where we would have liked to go.

Has anybody been to or heard much about the Seychelles? It looks fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 qwerty88

Thanks for all the tips guys! Will have to look into Mexico and liking the sound of the adult only resort. We've been to Vegas an absolutely loved it so might head somewhere else. Also have been to San Francisco.. Would like to do New York some Christmas then.. We're thinking now maybe Nashville / Memphis for something different and some country music.. Anyone have any experience of these places?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Has anyone been to any of the Caribbean Islands? Like Cuba or St Lucia, or Barbados, Bahamas? Still undecided on where to go after Vegas. Would love somewhere really romantic with white sandy beaches. Quite luxurious for a relaxing break.
    Had thought about Cancun but not sure really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

andreac wrote: »
    Has anyone been to any of the Caribbean Islands? Like Cuba or St Lucia, or Barbados, Bahamas? Still undecided on where to go after Vegas. Would love somewhere really romantic with white sandy beaches. Quite luxurious for a relaxing break.
    Had thought about Cancun but not sure really.

Bi've been to Barbados (twice), Dom Rep (twice) and Antigua (three times). Last time Antigua and Miami/Key West as a honeymoon. I really like Antigua (Carlisle Bay is favourite but v expensive). The Caribbean is, however, not really to be recommended after April. Likewise South Florida gets very unstable weather from May onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

We did New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Natchez and a few others on our honeymoon.

Nashville is such a party town and is really great craic if you can handle the country music. Every bar has a really brilliant band and a different angle. We did a few tours/events here that I could recommend.

Memphis is good, it's not the safest city by all accounts (we were told to watch our backs and given strict instructions where not to go by a bunch of bikers in another city) Having said that we didn't feel unsafe but Beale St isn't very big and gets a bit 'no go' beyond Coyote Ugly - you'll know when you see it. BB King's on Beale had some brilliant bands. If you're into Soul, blues or Elvis at all it's a must visit city. We did every possible tour here and I'd recommend doing everything.

New Orleans is well worth the trip and has a unique atmosphere. Was really humid when we were there (Sept) but it is a beautiful city and there is plenty to do. Walking between bars drinking on the streets is the done thing and there are literally hundreds of bars in the French quarter - and better ones outside it.

If you'd like any more info let me know. We stayed in really nice hotels - Not 5* but expensive independent boutique types and had really great experiences, We loved everywhere we stayed. We had a car and did 3 weeks, spending as much time as we wanted in each town and stayed in smaller towns breaking up long drives. The only think I'd say if you want to do a few cities is the distances can be far. You'll see Vegas, New York, Chicago, San Fran at any other time, you probably wouldn't get to the deep south again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

^ that sounds so cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

We flew to new york for a few nights and then down to Puerto Rico and stayed in San Juan for another few nights and did a cruise from there. We loved the cruise but it wouldnt be for everyone.
    San Juan is one of the nicest places ive ever been to. The staff in the hotel to the taxi men all treated us like friends. The hotel was on the beach and a 10min taxi to the main town. Its lined with cobbled streets with lovely cafes and shops.
    We were b&b in the Courtyard Marriot on the beach. There is a big stretch of hotels next to it and im sure some of them would have all inclusive offers.
    You could do any American cities you like with Puerto Rico, maybe a different one before and after?
    We went in december/janruary and while it was warm, it wasnt unbearable. July should be low to mid 30's.

Advertisement