Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intimate wedding ideas

Options
  • 12-11-2015 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,

My fiancé:) and I would like to have an intimate family only wedding next summer in Ireland somewhere, roughly 20 people. We would like it in a beautiful setting, outdoors if possible, with accomadation, food and entertainment all close by, it will be a civil ceremony, has anyone had experience with this? Just starting to think of ideas now, if anyone has had a small wedding or any ideas to share it would be greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SecretBride

As far as I know purplerose, you can't get married outdoors in Ireland.....it needs to be in a building :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

As far as I know purplerose, you can't get married outdoors in Ireland.....it needs to be in a building :-)

Not quite... You can do whatever you want as long as you sign the registrar indoors. Our priest did the ceremony outdoors, popped in to building for register. I know others who did the register a few days before etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

We are having about 25 guests next summer :) Contact venues you like and ask if they cater for small weddings, all the places we looked had smaller function rooms that we can have the ceremony in and afterwards they turn it around for dinner and room for music after.

Our venue actually had an all inclusive intimate package, so everything is taken care of. One thing about small weddings, they usually restrict the days available, obviously venues want to take large weddings on weekends but midweek suited us and our guests anyway.

Another option is to find a ceremony venue and then go to a private function room in a restaurant afterwards.

Our venue said they can do the ceremony outside but they need three days of dry weather beforehand also before they can put chairs and things on the grass! The advice I was given is to plan for an indoor wedding and if it's possible to move outside on the day then it's a great bonus. Other way round and you're setting up for disappointment :p

pwurple wrote: »
    Not quite... You can do whatever you want as long as you sign the registrar indoors. Our priest did the ceremony outdoors, popped in to building for register. I know others who did the register a few days before etc.

That's exactly what we are doing pwurple, our ceremony is on the Monday with a couple of pals in the registry office and our 'wedding' is on Saturday and we will have the freedom to do what we wish as its not the legal bit. We were told by our humanist that the legal bit must be in a building and we can do what we like then as a celebration. In the UK you can do it up a tree if you like just not here :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

The laws changed last summer and you can get married outdoors legally with a humanist ceremony

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Rent out a private house.. Have it all in the one spot

The laws changed last summer and you can get married outdoors legally with a humanist ceremony

The humanist we met with 3 weeks ago obviously doesn't know that then!!!!

Or maybe because it'll be a January wedding she didn't want to get cold lol!

Really tut tut shame on her, it is well know around I cannot see how she would not have known.. Offer to buy a jacket sure she might change her mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Milly33 wrote: »
    Rent out a private house.. Have it all in the one spot

You can't have a ceremony in a private house.

• Advertisement

More private as in something like this http://www.hiddenireland.com/house-parties

Can you not do them in private properties as such, I thought you could once the venue was approved by the register

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

Venue must be accessible to the public so once the doors aren't locked then you're pretty covered.
    Outdoor ceremonies perfectly legal since summer 2014 (just before our one but we got rained out on the day)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Purplerose

Great, thanks for all the replies, I am looking into renting a private house or castle, since it is only a small group we think this might be the best option to make our day feel special instead of it just been like going for a meal since our number will not be large enough to get a function room, just have to come up with entertainment ideas also

Advertisement