Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a High End Dreadnought Guitar €3000+

Options
  • 09-11-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Which dreadnought guitar would you recommend, budget of €3000-€4000.
    Uses: Folk / Country / Rock
    Plenty of strumming, with individual pull offs / hammer-ons ringing through the strum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Has to be a Lowden?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kifi

seachto7 wrote: »
    Has to be a Lowden?

I would have thought the Lowden is an automatic choice for fingerstyle. However, wouldn't an American rosewood/spruce dread be better for those folk songs playing the likes of Neil Young / James Taylor etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A Gibson hummingbird maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

if you want a dread then Martin has to be on your try out list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

If you have that kind of money, I'd recommend going to a luthier and having something built for you. It'll probably be better and suit you better than anything you can pick off a shelf.

I don't know a whole lot about who's who in terms of luthiers in Ireland, I do know that Ari Sheehan in Cork makes stunning instruments, archtops and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Collings make amazing instruments, also look at some other similar brands like Santa Cruz.
    Would you look at getting a vintage instrument?

TheBiz wrote: »
    Collings make amazing instruments, also look at some other similar brands like Santa Cruz.
    Would you look at getting a vintage instrument?

Probably wouldn't look at vintage. Yes, I have heard about Collings before, but not Santa Cruz. Anywhere to play these in Ireland ??? (probably not!).

Ive also read about Martin Marquis range, but they are looking like they're out of my budget..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Martin HD28v, awesome tone.....some people can't get on with the vintage neck but I found it fine. Last I saw, X music had one, second hand I think but over priced. Worth playing it though to see how it feels. The new D18's (well below your budget, surely a good thing) are fantastic guitars too.

Edit: Regarding Collings, i found them impeccably built instruments but tonewise, just didn't do it for me. Too tight sounding compared to say a Martin.

Wailin wrote: »
    Martin HD28v, awesome tone.....some people can't get on with the vintage neck but I found it fine. Last I saw, X music had one, second hand I think but over priced. Worth playing it though to see how it feels. The new D18's (well below your budget, surely a good thing) are fantastic guitars too.

Edit: Regarding Collings, i found them impeccably built instruments but tonewise, just didn't do it for me. Too tight sounding compared to say a Martin.

Yes, I have played a MG HD-28 in X music, but thought it was nothing special. I've never played the V model, but actually listening to youtube videos (for what it's worth), i have thought that they sound very very good..

kifi wrote: »
    Yes, I have played a MG HD-28 in X music, but thought it was nothing special. I've never played the V model, but actually listening to youtube videos (for what it's worth), i have thought that they sound very very good..

I saw that guitar in X-music, never played it. HD28v is a completely different machine to that, just to be aware.
    Also, the one I used to own is for sale now as far as I know, the guy loves the tone from it but not loving the v neck.

• Advertisement

It's a shame about the big V neck on that D28V. I played it a couple of days ago in X music and liked it otherwise .....

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Have you looked at the McIlroy AD series?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 roibas

And since we are suggesting, how about Taylor and Furch? Both have excellent dreadnought guitars in that range of prices.

If that helps, there is a Youtube channel called "the acoustic letter" where they always review truly amazing acoustic guitars, they know what they are speaking about and something silly, but that I find very useful, they always use the same tunes for the reviews, so you actually can compare the sounds of different guitars for the same tune.

Give it a try, it might give you some ideas of where to look at.

It's a shame about the big V neck on that D28V. I played it a couple of days ago in X music and liked it otherwise .....

Lovely Collings OM2H for sale on adverts.ie, few years old but looks to be in excellent condition. No break in period either, much better than buying new for an extra €1500 or more.

http://www.adverts.ie/acoustic-guitars/collings-om2h-acoustic-guitar-new-martin-12g-strings/9365201

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Lovely Collings OM2H for sale on adverts.ie, few years old but looks to be in excellent condition. No break in period either, much better than buying new for an extra €1500 or more.

http://www.adverts.ie/acoustic-guitars/collings-om2h-acoustic-guitar-new-martin-12g-strings/9365201

It's not a dreadnought though.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    It's not a dreadnought though.

Just read the first post again, forgot it was a dreadnought the op was after :)

I played a Collings OM2H a year or two back, and they are AMAZING. That looks like a steal for somebody in the market for one, as I think they are around €4k new.

Anyway, I am still after a dread. I do watch the Acoustic Letter, it is pretty good. Of course you are always left wondering what the neck feels like, I rarely see people even attempt to describe them. I know it might be tough to do so, but a comparison / contrast to another neck profile might prove useful.

I'd love to try a Santa Cruz dread, but it appears as though there are no dealers in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

There is a Collings DH2 on Adverts.ie for €3200, it might be right up your alley!
    Can't say I've any Santa Cruz dealers in Ireland, one does pop up from time to time second hand though.

TheBiz wrote: »
    There is a Collings DH2 on Adverts.ie for €3200, it might be right up your alley!
    Can't say I've any Santa Cruz dealers in Ireland, one does pop up from time to time second hand though.

Collings are pure class. I prefer the 1 & 11/16" nut though. The one on adverts is larger than that.

I see that Taylor has revoiced their 600 series. There was one in Xmusic that I intended on demoing, but it has since been sold. They are getting rave reviews.

Collings are pure class. I prefer the 1 & 11/16" nut though. The one on adverts is larger than that.

I see that Taylor has revoiced their 600 series. There was one in Xmusic that I intended on demoing, but it has since been sold. They are getting rave reviews.

For the type of money you are talking about spending I would look at collings, bourgeois or higher end martins and avoid Taylors. Not in the same league imo. Check out The Fellowship of Acoustics webpage in holland. Stunning collection of guitars and, having dealt with them a few times, very willing to do great deals if you ask. And if you don't like the guitar when it arrives just return it. You have 30 days to decide on keeping it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Check out The Fellowship of Acoustics webpage in holland. Stunning collection of guitars and, having dealt with them a few times, very willing to do great deals if you ask. And if you don't like the guitar when it arrives just return it. You have 30 days to decide on keeping it.

They make some great youtube videos of their guitars. Interesting that you say they are willing to do deals, as I always thought their prices looked quite high in comparison to other comparable shops. Good to know.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    They make some great youtube videos of their guitars. Interesting that you say they are willing to do deals, as I always thought their prices looked quite high in comparison to other comparable shops. Good to know.

Yeah me too, i thought their prices were high also. I managed to get nearly €500 off the price of a new Bourgeois OM by just making an offer so worth a shot.

Advertisement