Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amp troubleshooting - no sound, power OK

Options
  • 02-11-2015 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

Hoping some wise soul out there may be able to diagnose my amp issue through the ether!

It's an old 80's solid state Vox Venue Lead 100.

One day it just quit making sound. Even though all the pilot lights are still lit.

There are jacks on the back for 'DI out' and 'Slave'.

I can run a line from these to a functional amp and hear sound.

I guess that must mean some issue with the speaker on the busted Vox right?

I changed out a little 5amp fuse on the back but that made no difference.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

First thing I would check is the speaker wires. Maybe one has come off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

noby wrote: »
    First thing I would check is the speaker wires. Maybe one has come off?

Thanks - a good example of why two heads are better than one.

That is an obvious one - I'll have a look. Little bit nervous about opening the back of her but provided I don't stupidly poke at things I should be alright.

Two white wires intact on the speaker.

Same two white wires intact on the unit overhead.

(The speaker and unit are separated by wood panel through which the white wires run)

Is there any quick and dirty way of testing the integrity of the speaker independently of everything else?

Not knowing the amp, your DI or slave could be coming out before the pre amp, and power amp. Have you tried the headphone jack? Is there speaker outs on the amp? If so try these.

noby wrote: »
    Not knowing the amp, your DI or slave could be coming out before the pre amp, and power amp. Have you tried the headphone jack? Is there speaker outs on the amp? If so try these.

You suspect right.

There is a 'headphone' jack and two 'speaker' jacks.

None of these produce sound either.

If you can read wiring diagrams (I certainly can't), this purports to represent the flows in my Vox:

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/voxvenuelead100.pdf?phpMyAdmin=af0f6b4465fe3f904426eaeb3dc0e3fa&phpMyAdmin=Kb2XHnhmhTctZwPmOqks7zD3-sc

• Advertisement

Hard to know without the amp in front of me. If it worked, then didn't work, I would be looking for either a loose connection, or something blown/burnt out on the board (with the usual disclaimer of you do this at your own risk - make sure it's plugged out and don't go poking at things with a screwdriver etc. etc.)

Advertisement