Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summerhill house Hotel

• 31-01-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

just wodnering has anyone had their wedding reception or attended a wedding in summerhill house hotel. any chance of some feedback please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I havent been but did view it when looking for our own venue.

I thought the hotel itself was very nice, the drinks reception area and the main room were nice.

From a personal perspective the only thing I didnt like was the lack of gardens for outdoor photos. However to balance that you are close to powerscourt so you could always get your photos taken there

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mightymouse11

Thanks for reply planning on winter wedding so not overly worried about exterior as prob going to dark by 4pm and will get pictures else where.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cheetara

Hi there,

One of my friends was married there last September and it was a brilliant Wedding. I think they got a pretty good deal as well if my memory serves me correctly. Her reception was about 120 people and the room was prefect for this amount.

Point to note that if your guests stay in the self-catering, it is the same price per person even if some people get a room while others get a whole apartment to themselves!!! Not much can be done about this but just thought i'd mention it.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Worked at a wedding there last year and the interior is fantastic, food is excellent and the staff very friendly

Thanks a million for replies....... never mind picking a bride picking a venue is nearly more difficult:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I hope I am not seen as digging up an old thread here. It is 2011 so I think I'm doing the right thing.

Anyway, got engaged at the weekend and whilst looking at venues every night this week we were totally put off our first choice hotel (The Summerhill House) by this:

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g212535-d598956-Reviews-Summerhill_House_Hotel-Enniskerry_County_Wicklow.html

It totally goes against everything this thread and what friends who have been there say. It is repetitive problems of the same kind in the complaints and they are very very recently dated.

So, I am looking for more feedback I guess?

Also a question out of interest. We want a December wedding, but what happens if there is a December like the one just gone and Bride&Groom and guests can't get up the hill to the wedding reception? I think we will cope better in snow this year learning from last year but just thought is there any comeback. Most likely answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Aprilsunshine

If you are looking at Summerhill House hotel and other hotels like it but you've heard bad things about service etc you could look at country houses maybe? You just rent them for the day or the weekend or whatever. I'm looking for a venue at the moment too - I like that whole country chic vibe but would prefer a big house. On Sunday I went to an open day in a house in Newcastle (or maybe Newtownmountkennedy?) in Wicklow and it was lovely. It was called Trudder. It lashed rain all day though so it was hard to get a feel for what it looks like on a normal day - will need to go back again.

Just a quick edit because I actually found its website...www.trudder-lodge.com

when i set this thread up i found the tripadvisor results and was taken back myself....that was in January since then i have gone down to Summerhill met with wedding coordinator and explained my reservations..I hve stayed there and can honestly say that i am 100% delighted that i am booking and having my wedding reception here. The food and hospitality is amazing also. I have talked to so many people who have attended weddings there and i have gotten nothing but great feedback......let me know what you think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

seriously trip advisor is about as helpful as an inflatable dartboard.

People dont log onto sites like that after having a great weekend to post how good it is. Fundamentally sites like that are for complaints only.

Im not saying the service is good in Summerhill house Ive never stayed there but judging a place off trip advisor isnt a very good approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

D3PO wrote: »
    judging a place off trip advisor isnt a very good approach.

Good point about people using it as a place to complain. I wouldn't say I judged the hotel on these complaints but when people are complaining about the same things in the last two months it made me wonder have standards dropped or cuts and costs saving been made.

I will definitely be viewing it so I guess we will get a better indicator then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Go and have a look at a hotel on a Monday and you will get a good view of how they operate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

sorry for the whole zombie thread thing but I, like others, have seen some fantastic and some awful reviews for this spot.

The poor reviews do seem to be from a few years ago though. I would be interested to know if anyone has been here recently and what their experiences have been.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I spent a night in the summer hill earlier this year. Service was excellent and the food was really good.

I saw the trip advisor reviews before I went and didn't see what the reviewers were seeing at all. We all had a lovely night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

sorry for the whole zombie thread thing but I, like others, have seen some fantastic and some awful reviews for this spot.

The poor reviews do seem to be from a few years ago though. I would be interested to know if anyone has been here recently and what their experiences have been.

Thanks!

I work up there regularly, never seen a bad night up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Thanks for all your feedback, went to see it and it looks great!
    One question I do have is in relation to the band, I notice there's no stage and doesn't seem to be much room for the band, did they seem a bit squashed to you guys?

Minor concern, this place is a strong contender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Thanks for all your feedback, went to see it and it looks great! One question I do have is in relation to the band, I notice there's no stage and doesn't seem to be much room for the band, did they seem a bit squashed to you guys?

I've djed there alongside 6 piece band. We always set up along the wall with the windows. Space is never an issue. Always a good night there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Had my reception there 30 years ago next May. I don't think my experience is current enough for you, but we had a great time :)

Advertisement