Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city centre ideas

Options
  • 27-11-2015 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm sure this has been asked in some shape or format but here we go again :)

Essentially me and OH would like the have reception in Dublin city centre for approx 100 ppl in the summer. Something informal-ish, along the lines of maybe buffet type dinner or BBQ.

Not looking to spend the earth. Fallon and Byrne and the Morrison are out (previous weddings so can't copy, ya know yourself!). Can only seem to find one other hotel that slightly fits the bill but I'm worried it might be a little "industrial" in the location and can't find any real reviews on it from a wedding perspective just the ones on their website. And let's be honest, they ain't gonna put up the bad ones! :)

Don't want anything mad, simple but nice.

Any ideas/suggestions/warnings?

Please PM where necessary, don't want any forum rules broken.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Have you checked out the residence or
    Locks brasserie. You can actually have your wedding ceremony at locks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Thanks! I've contacted the residence this morning, thanks for the tip. Venue looks lovely from the pics anyways, hope it's not mad expensive! When I Google locks brasserie it tells me they're closed, so I've contacted their sister restaurant, although they don't really have anything in their webpage so doubtful.

Any body know any other little gems? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Cliff House
    Shelbourne
    The Dean
    Stephens Green Hibernian Club

Thanks zoobizoo. I've contacted the dean to see what they have. The other three are going to be way to pricey for me. I like the modern look of the Dean. Don't want big traditional.

Has anybody any experience with the Gibson in the point village?

It's so hard to find anything online for ideas. No matter what I search the same results keep coming up the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

How about the sugar club...its different but we went to a fab wedding reception there a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

The westin (might be out of price range though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

No worries...

Check out restaurants too...

you can book Neary's upstairs for pre dinner drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

25 Fitzwilliam is stunning but probably also quite dear. So beautiful tho.
    I've seen pics of fab weddings in Drury Buildings e.g. http://www.whitetea.ie/blog/2014/4/3/kate-brian (apols if links not allowed)

There's a couple of hotels around Pearse St do weddings

Have a flick through S&P weddings or Confetti - there's loads of ads for venues. Also the real weddings bits on sites and photographer's sites might uncover a few venues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Probably not central enough for you, but Beaufield Mews in Stillorgan sounds ideal food/vibe wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,713 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Market Bar, Fade Street ?

No idea on pricing though. But its a huge space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

VandC wrote: »
    Thanks zoobizoo. I've contacted the dean to see what they have. The other three are going to be way to pricey for me. I like the modern look of the Dean. Don't want big traditional.

Has anybody any experience with the Gibson in the point village?

It's so hard to find anything online for ideas. No matter what I search the same results keep coming up the same.

I've been to the Gibson, thought it was very nice. There's also the Harbourmaster that has a function room. The Odeon, Oscar's and Odessa also cater for weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

A friend of mine was at a wedding party at The Gibson this summer, and couldn't say enough nice things about it. The couple got married abroad, and had a wedding party when they got home for about 150 I think. It was a buffet style meal, and my friend was saying their rooftop garden is amazing, everyone sat out there having drinks as the weather was lovely, she said it was really laid back. I think they might have had a DJ or live music too, sorry a bit hazy on the details. I remember she looked it up at the time and the wedding prices for a buffet style were pretty reasonable, the one thing she did note was that the cost of accommodation at the hotel on that night was incredibly high, they ended up getting a taxi home to Kildare as it worked out a lot less. When she looked for alternative accommodation nearby it was all pretty expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jbubs

Have sent you a private message

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I've been to the Gibson for work events. If you like the modern look (I do) then I think it is very nice. They do a mean bbq with unusual and quirky food options. I've always thought that if you want a city wedding it would be a good venue to have it.

Now I will be honest if I had the money I'd prefer the Westin! But depending on your budget I think the Gibson is very nice.

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great ideas. Going to look at the Gibson soon, glad to hear the positive feedback on it! There packages seem reasonable too. Only thing is when I check the date there are no rooms available, so will have to enquire about that. There will only be about 100 at the wedding so I think we would look lost in the Market Bar. I came across Beaufield Mews during my searches, it does look fab.

Heard back from the Residence. Everybody would be divided out across different rooms, not a layout that appeals to me. But their menu looks delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Easypeasey

Thomas Prior Hall in Ballsbridge or 25 Fitzwilliam St (as mentioned above)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

I met with the Wedding co-ordinator in the Gibson recently & she gave me their list of packages- I can;t put my hand to it right now but if I remember correctly the BBQ package was €35 per head, which I thought was great value! HTH :-) xxx

So we went to the Dylan on Saturday. Was perfect. Told us our date was available (confirmed twice!!!) then got a phone call to say mix up and it wasn't. Other couple were given to today to pay deposit, even though we had made our minds up. Raging is an understatement.

Anyways rant over.

We liked the idea of the "informal" type food. Drinks on arrival, Serving hot canapés throughout the evening, platters at the end. Ya get the idea, no real sit down meal as such. About 100 ppl. Everywhere I seem to look up does the usual wedding menu. I suppose what we are looking for is more of a party.

Does anybody know of hotels that would do something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

So we went to the Dylan on Saturday. Was perfect. Told us our date was available (confirmed twice!!!) then got a phone call to say mix up and it wasn't. Other couple were given to today to pay deposit, even though we had made our minds up. Raging is an understatement.

Anyways rant over.

We liked the idea of the "informal" type food. Drinks on arrival, Serving hot canapés throughout the evening, platters at the end. Ya get the idea, no real sit down meal as such. About 100 ppl. Everywhere I seem to look up does the usual wedding menu. I suppose what we are looking for is more of a party.

Have you looked at the Gibson? ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Anyways rant over.

ah bummer, sorry to hear that. What dates are you looking at?

the Morgan hotel might do something similar
    Drury buildings

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Have they come back to you to let you know did the other couple pay the deposit?

When I was looking at hotels, the hotel I wanted had a couple who'd provisionally booked the date we wanted but they'd not paid the deposit. We said we we all set to put down a deposit, so the hotel contacted the other couple to advise they had one week to pay the deposit or they'd release the date (in fairness this other couple had provisionally booked 2 weeks prior and the T&Cs said that a deposit must be paid within 7 days, so they'd already gone over that) The hotel held the following saturday open for us in case we couldn't get the date, but the other couple never paid the deposit so we got it in the end.

Apparently it can be quite common for a couple to go around looking at a few hotels and provisionally hold the date in all of them while they decide, and then when they pick the one they want, they just don't bother ringing the rest of the hotels to let them know.

fannymagee wrote:
    Have you looked at the Gibson? ^^

That was the first hotel we contacted but the date isn't free :(
    MIN2511 wrote:
    the Morgan hotel might do something similar Drury buildings

Cool, thanks. Will check them out.
    Toots wrote:
    Have they come back to you to let you know did the other couple pay the deposit?

They enquired end Oct (long time for miscommunication!). Were given till Thurs to decide and I was supposed to be told by yesterday lunchtime. Heard nothing, chased and as "he was reading my email" they went in and paid. It just peeves me cos I specifically asked twice and we were clearly excited about the place when we were there.

Advertisement