Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boho/ relaxed wedding venue

• 19-11-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi, I know it's been asked before but the thread suggestions weren't very accurate.

My sister is looking for an alternative wedding venue within 90 min of dublin. 120 people, civil ceremony too. They want somewhere relaxed and organic I suppose? Nothing really old fashioned or castley or over 80 euro per person. They'd love a barn feel . They loved my wedding in brooklodge for the flow, the style of room, the abundant on site accomodation for guests. They want everythign in one place too.

So far village at Lyons is out as their best friends want it for their wedding, and Druids glen is out because of the accomodation /toilet issues.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Glebe house dowth, Trudder Lodge, Kippure estate, Mt Druid and Ballymagarvey come to mind when you mention the 'barn' feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

We wanted the same as your sister and found that in a lot of places, boho or quirky venues were more expensive! Depending on time of year and day of the week you hopefully would get 80 a head.

Some places we looked at: mount druid (amazing but all camping accommodation wouldn't suit our families), kippure (Didn't like it in person but it's casual and a blank canvas), horetown house in wexford which is amazing and very quirky but about 2 hours from Dublin, beaufield mews (lovely but too many restrictions on music and finishing times for us), Boyne hill house (cool relaxed bar area but claustrophobic dining room), the millhouse (visually amazing but literally the worst wedding coordinators i have ever dealt with, extremely rude and kept changing their terms when we tried to book).

We booked clonabreany in the end, it's a marquee and country house, beautiful little ceremony room and nice to deal with. It's got a casual feel to it too :)
    Good luck with the search!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Thanks both of you, I've sent some of the suggestions onto her!

Lovelystuff- those are the exact same reasons she's had to reject those venues! I'm not 100% sure how much she like marquees, but I suppose if it was romantic enough and not too basic she'd like it! It's so hard to find large venues that aren't standard hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

Marquees can be very hit and miss, the one is clonabreany is lovely because it's permanent, whereas I viewed one in a place called Martinstown House in kildare which felt a lot more like a tent, even though it's a permanent structure! Most of the nicest barn venues seem to be up north from my research. One thing I'd say is go visit places early on in your research, I fell in love with a few websites but the actual places themselves weren't great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The Millhouse in Slane has a barn area you could get married in and then the party back in the marquee venue.
    Sounds just what they'd like:
    http://www.themillhouse.ie/wedding-venue-county-meath/

They can provide it like a 'blank canvas' and the couple add whatever extras / decoration as required.

Seems very popular with plenty of options for dining.
    Slight downpoint would be accommodation as I think only around 12 rooms onsite?
    Nearby B&Bs may help, as would proximity to Dublin

EDIT - I just saw lovelystuff's comments on the Millhouse.
    I have to agree here. We looked at it and were impressed with the venue, but the staff / organisation and contact with them put us right off the place.

• Advertisement

Yeah at the very lease she'd like the wedding party on site, which will probably be about 10 -12 rooms.

I think she really dislike the tent feel, more draped room feel.

Is there much more difficulty getting married in the north legally if you are both from ROI? Every 'top 10 barn venues' I see are like 90% Northern Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Marlfield House are an hour from Dublin and they have a converted barn.

Ash tree barn is in louth and obviously a barn.

I would have a look at Martinstown House as well in Kildare, it's got a lovely vibe and a permanent marquee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Kilruddery House between Bray & Greystones..... great venue... beautiful setting

Just looked at martinstown and the marquee looks very flimsy, even in their pics, so I don't think she'd like it in real life!

I'll be driving her nuts with all the suggested places thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Go look at Airfield Estate, they are converting a barn at the moment and it'll be ready for March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

Clonabreany house is really lovely, I've been a guest there. Great food too.

We were looking at exact kind of venue as your sis! Visited Bellinter (bad value for money and it was really filthy the day we saw it) and Brooklodge (fab but outside our budget). We've been to Millhouse too and one lady in particular was the rudest staff I've ever encountered so ruled that out immediately.

We have kind of given up on having that kind of venue due to various budget constraints and other factors so will prob end up going for a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Have a look at Segrave House Dunany co Louth, its an old farmhouse with renovated barns catrering for weddings and parties of 100-130. Its about 50 minutes from Dublin, 10 mins off the M1, beautiful location and the owners will go out of their way to make your day special. Rates are reasonable and theres accommodation on site as well as locally.
    If you look at www.ashtreebarn.com you will see the renovated barn they rent out, it'll give you an idea of the place and the contact details are there too.
    It really is a special place and well worth a look... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Can those who had negative experiences of the millhouse expand on what they mean, myself and my finance were really impressed with the venue and felt comfortable by the informal approach of the staff and didn't experience any rudeness at all, feel free to PM if you'd rather share in private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Try Lisnavagh....http://lisnavagh.com

Ballybeg has a blessing area on site. Looks great too.

Advertisement