Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic Guitar for Beginner

Options
  • 14-10-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

With a budget of <€500, what would you guys on here recommend for a complete novice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

I recommend Takamine. Waltons have a good selection at a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Learn a few chords first. The go into a shop and play everything that you like the look of within your budget. You will find that some will be more comfortable for you to play than others and that you may prefer the sound of one over the other. If you dislike a guitar, regardless of whether it is 'more expensive' and 'should be a better guitar' than a cheaper one, put it to one side and move on. If you have a friend that plays guitar, maybe bring them with you so that they can give you a bit of advice. But remember that you will be the person playing the guitar and not them. With that budget, you'll definitely be able to pick up a good guitar for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

Don't buy anything until you start learning is the best advice. It's really easy to start but a lot of people don't bother to keep it up. And I wouldn't spend anything more than 150 till you're sure it's for you even after a few lessons. Take one or two lessons then buy a guitar. That's what most people would say. And as mentioned above when you do start go into the shop and pick a few guitars you like the look and sound of and mention you're only a beginner

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

With a budget of <€500, what would you guys on here recommend for a complete novice?

Check out Gear4music.ie, they have very cheap NEW Guitars for sale and I have so far bought 2 from them and i don't regret doing so as they are complete awesome!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Check out Gear4music.ie, they have very cheap NEW Guitars for sale and I have so far bought 2 from them and i don't regret doing so as they are complete awesome!! :D

I think Gear4music's prices are generally pretty bad. They are consistently more expensive than similar foreign, online competitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd recommend Adverts/Buy and Sell. You'll get a lot more for your money second hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Also, regarding gear4music, the .ie website disguises the fact that it's a UK company. If buying from abroad online you might as well go for the lowest price, which usually isn't them.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I think Gear4music's prices are generally pretty bad. They are consistently more expensive than similar foreign, online competitors.

Then you check out the wrong instruments! Mine have been cheap and I have spent only 150 euro on 4 instruments - compared to Waltons where I would have to spend over 250 euro

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Also, regarding gear4music, the .ie website disguises the fact that it's a UK company. If buying from abroad online you might as well go for the lowest price, which usually isn't them.

Yeah I know it's a UK company, what's the difference? It shows EURO, it doesn't show £.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah I know it's a UK company, what's the difference? It shows EURO, it doesn't show £.

The prices would be converted from Pounds which would end up costing you more because the euro is weaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    The prices would be converted from Pounds which would end up costing you more because the euro is weaker.
    eh?

if the price is in Euro then the price is in Euro!

eh?

if the price is in Euro then the price is in Euro!

This is usually the case, although some places with show the price in euro as a guide and then charge in sterling at the checkout.

If you're going to order online from abroad, gear4music being a UK company, you might as well go for the lowest price. In my experience it is never gear4music. That's my view anyway.

I don't play acoustic guitar so I can't really offer much advice on what instrument to buy, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Takamine are fantastic and they literally live forever. I agree that you'll get a lot better value for your money on adverts or even in any of those cash converter type shops. I bought an ancient 12 string guitar on a whim off a lad at work a few years back for €150 and it sat unplayed in my bedroom for 5 years. Decided to get rid of it and managed to swap it on adverts for a 6 month old yamaha in pristine condition that cost €500 new. I love it but if I was buying with cash, I'd definitely go for a takamine.

Advertisement