Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eflow & one tag & using in multiple cars??

Options
  • 15-06-2008 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hey,

We rarely use the m50 westlink but have an Easypass tag and three cars.
    So when we do use the toll bridage we just use the tag in whatever car we use at that time.

When the barrier free thing comes in - is the tag read and video registration used and do they have to match?
    Or will it just be enough that the tag is read and end of issue?

If otherwise then that would be ridiculous. One tag needed per car and paying rental fees for all just on the off chance it may go through the toll. What about businesses and car dealers etc who may be driving different cars all the time??

Oh and before someone says, i know you register a car reg when applying for the tag but there is never an issue with using it in other cars and many many people do this.

Would appreciate someone hopefully clarifying this for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

http://eflow.ie/home/default.aspx

From the FAQ there:
    "10. Can I use my tag in more than one vehicle?

No it is not possible. But you can have up to 6 vehicles on a private account. If you are a business customer you can have an unlimited number of vehicles on your account.

11. We have two cars. Can we switch tags between the two?

No, each tag is assigned to a specific licence plate number."

You will need a new account but may be able to get more than one vehicle registered/tagged. I'm sure that there's more on that website that'll help clear your query!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Based on how the system works, they basically run plate recognition on every car that goes through and discount the registered plate of the tags that have been 'blipped' by the sensors from the list before its processed for billing. So you won't be able to use tags in the "wrong" car like you can on the gates.

On a side note, I hope to feck they've got some way to avoid blipping the tags at every read point, as theres a few of them along the route, and mine makes a loud BEEEEEEP when its contacted - even by gates in carparks (I don't have a tag that does parking).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

More money making madness.

So you cant register multiple cars against one tag.

So only option then it to setup video registration for the other cars and to pick one that is more likely to use the toll more often for the tag.

I also hear you cant ring them up to change vehicle details and have to send the information off in writing to them

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

thenobody wrote: »
    So you cant register multiple cars against one tag.
    But you can have multiple tags on one account. Find out which operator serves your needs the best.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

More money making madness.

Major technical limitations as to why - find a way to work around these and I'm sure they'll be delighted to implement them...

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    But you can have multiple tags on one account. Find out which operator serves your needs the best.

Ok. I see

So with etrip
    1 tag = €1
    2 tags = €1.75
    3 tags = €2.40
    4 tags = €3

Easypass
    1 tag = €1
    2 tags = €1
    3 tags = €2
    4 tags = €2

all plus 21% vat

So i guess easypass is the better operator to go with then.

That eTrip figure is if you want parking enabled too. I only pay 50c (ex vat) for an eTrip tag.

MYOB wrote: »
    That eTrip figure is if you want parking enabled too. I only pay 50c (ex vat) for an eTrip tag.

No its not - its for tolling only

http://www.etrip.ie/faqs.php#Anchor-What-43

You must have also purchased your tag.

Have to compare renting option of etrip against easypass

No its not - its for tolling only

http://www.etrip.ie/faqs.php#Anchor-What-43

You must have also purchased your tag.

Have to compare renting option of etrip against easypass

I thought Eazypass only offered purchase + 'admin fee' as an option? Hence you'd be comparing price like with like.

No. Eazypass is only tag rental. Dont purchase the tag.
    So you have to compare the rental options. Better method in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I have a car and a car van (Berlingo). Can I currently use the same tag in both? Is there a different toll to pay on commercial vans?

joolsveer wrote: »
    I have a car and a car van (Berlingo). Can I currently use the same tag in both? Is there a different toll to pay on commercial vans?

Seems currently you can but when the barrier free tolling comes in you cant.
    No difference if the van is private or commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Is there a higher charge for vans than for cars?

Not for car van but yes for Transit type vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

At some locations a commercially registered car (e.g. a Ford Fiesta carvan) may be charged more.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I must be missing something here, if you can't swap the tag into another car - because it's registered to the licence plate (and this is viewed by special recognition software), then what is the tag for at all?

Surely if they can recognise the licence plate, then all that's necessary is for people to register their details for billing etc.

I know someone could switch number plates, but they can do that with the proposed system anyway (and go through as an untagged car).

Yep. Seems silly doesnt it.

Probably to ensure they do get you. Muddy number plates and bad weather and foreign plates etc.
    Suckering you into it

The tag means they get the cash instantly, doesn't require use of the billing systems set up for the plate recognition. Less costs to the operator to recover the money from tag users.

Yeah so why bother having tags?

Why not just have the same prepaid accounts like the tag system but just use the number plate recognition?
    No need for tags then seen as they scan the plate anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

When a tag gives up the ghost, will you have to purchase a new one at full whack?

• Advertisement

Yeah so why bother having tags?

Why not just have the same prepaid accounts like the tag system but just use the number plate recognition?
    No need for tags then seen as they scan the plate anyway

Because none of the other toll bridges in this country have number plate readers, and its highly unlikely they'll get them either. Its not like tags are new, I've had one for absolutely years. Cuts 2 minutes off the trip to Belfast and saves me from losing change on the M4/M8 (and the M1, and I'm sure any new tollroads coming on stream soon will have similar non-round figures).

It would be absolutely futile of the operators to not take tags considering theres over 100,000 of them in existance from Eazy Pass alone, let alone the 5 other operators, and due to the infrastructure in place from the already existing tag service, it costs them less to get the payments from them, hence the lower price.

When a tag gives up the ghost, will you have to purchase a new one at full whack?

Good question... most people rent their tags so I'd presume these are replaced FOC if/when they fail. They're passive contactless RFID units so they shouldn't be wearing out or anything (my passive, contact RFID ID card for work has survived a few years and I'm not even the first user of it!), but I'd be interested to see if they could be heat-fried in hot weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Etags are NOT transferable and are issued only with your corresponding registration plate.

The real reason for the introduction of RFID based ETags into Irish motorways, tolls and tunnels is to track all your movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Etags are NOT transferable and are issued only with your corresponding registration plate.

The real reason for the introduction of RFID based ETags into Irish motorways, tolls and tunnels is to track all your movements.

Thought I had clicked into the conspiracy forum for a second there. No, the reason is that the M50 scheme is the only one implementing the visual recognition systems. If you regularly use the other tolled roads then the tag suits otherwise it has not advantage over a video account...

However I believe that the video recognition will be the key charging method on the M50 and that is why you are not allowed to use the tag in more than one vehicle. I base this on the poor recognition of my own tag by the westlink / M1 tolls where unless I slow to a crawl, they don't pick up my tag.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what's the story with dirty number plates / hairspray ?

Well i guess the dirt gets on them from dirt on the roads and hairspray is used by some people on their hair

Harmony blue is the best stuff for hairy cars!* (so I'm told).

* I believe that getting caught trying to evade detection is treated as a serious offence (it is in the UK anyway)

Advertisement