Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rusev and Lana part ways

Options
  • 23-05-2015 12:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

Ah here
    WWE.com has posted a new entrance video for Rusev, which abandons his ties to Russia and goes back to presenting him as being from Bulgaria. When he originally debuted he was called the Bulgarian Brute, and in storyline defected to Russia. It remains to be seen if the Russian flag and the Hero of the Russian Federation “Gold Star” medal are dropped from the act.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

With regards Rusev ditching the Russian stuff and going a new direction, I really hope he's not going to wind up as a lame midcard act after all the good work of the past 18 odd months.

Santino is tuning up the band :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Omackeral wrote: »
    Santino is tuning up the band :P

All they need is Hornswoggle now and there a joke in waiting

"A Bulgirian an Italian and a midget walk into a bar ............."

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

They're insane to do this, Rusev and Lana have years left in their run!

I hate Vince so much sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

rovert wrote: »
    Ah here

WWE.com has posted a new entrance video for Rusev, which abandons his ties to Russia and goes back to presenting him as being from Bulgaria. When he originally debuted he was called the Bulgarian Brute, and in storyline defected to Russia. It remains to be seen if the Russian flag and the Hero of the Russian Federation “Gold Star” medal are dropped from the act.
    Tenner says it's because someone nicked the gold star recently and they can't be bothered replacing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

So stupid, especially if they've just done this and are not going to work it in to a storyline. Why not run an angle where Lana is under contract to Rusev and Ziggler has to fight Rusev for her release and/or his Russian citizenship.
    Afterwards she reveals she was American all along and calls Rusev a fraud. This unleashes the 'Bulgarian Brute' and have him go back to destroying people on a streak.

Fwiw I thought the Lana and Rusev gimmick had legs as it is. Wouldn't have changed much although he was fed to Cena too soon imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yep, Rusev is an afterthought now that Cena has destroyed him, just like Wyatt last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yep, Rusev is an afterthought now that Cena has destroyed him, just like Wyatt last year.

Warming up that shovel for Owens next! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Palo Alto wrote: »
    They're insane to do this, Rusev and Lana have years left in their run!

I hate Vince so much sometimes.

Why does Vince automatically get blamed for every perceived bad call? HHH has a history too for bad calls and has been in Vince's ear for over ten years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I thought the Rusev, Russian flag waving gig was finished once he lost to an American hero.

There is only so far WWE can go with that and if he can only get heat doing it he has peaked anyway. Personally all promo time had become instant fast forward for me even before The Rumble. I was hoping for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

bur wrote: »
    Why does Vince automatically get blamed for every perceived bad call? HHH has a history too for bad calls and has been in Vince's ear for over ten years.

It's maybe because HHH might have had some bad calls but Vince is the head bottle washer and he makes the final call on it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Brendão wrote: »

Fwiw I thought the Lana and Rusev gimmick had legs as it is. Wouldn't have changed much although he was fed to Cena too soon imo.

She sure does..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Not a fan of putting her with Ziggler unless it ends with a double cross, which will surely happen given that she's still "Russian".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Split from the news thread. Seems newsworthy enough for its own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Just reading all of this now. Big mistake breaking the two of them up. They have natural chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Ah so this is this years ADR and Ricardo.

Nice knowing you Rusev.

Shame as he's wayyyyyyyyyy more talented then any other of these "evil foreigner" they've had in a long time.

He could have been used very well as a way to turn Seth Rollins babyface further down the line I thought. He could have been a perfect main event monster heel for years to come. Anyway, everyone light a candle and hope that maybe he doesn't end up like Khali now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

you gotta wonder did they split up irl, and use this to avoid any problems.

If I were Rusev and I split up with Lana in real life, I'd be headed straight for the nearest bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

you gotta wonder did they split up irl, and use this to avoid any problems.

Doubt it, they just got a place together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

They shouldn't have broken them up.

Rusev is definitely headed for eternal mid card mediocrity now, even more so without Lana

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

He could have been used very well as a way to turn Seth Rollins babyface further down the line I thought. He could have been a perfect main event monster heel for years to come. Anyway, everyone light a candle and hope that maybe he doesn't end up like Khali now.

At least Rusev has the advantage of being a (super) athlete. Khali can barely walk down the entrance ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

They're also a couple in real life IIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

She's hardly gonna pretend to be Russian forever so the whole "I was a spy" storyline must show up at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I don't see why people are signalling the death knell for Rusev now though, A John Cena loss won't hurt too bad as he uber competitve in the I Quit Match i thought it actually put both of them over if im honest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't see why people are signalling the death knell for Rusev now though, A John Cena loss won't hurt too bad as he uber competitve in the I Quit Match i thought it actually put both of them over if im honest

I think the problem is that Rusev is showing no real signs of progression as a character, so getting over in the ring will only go so far. There's not much about him that a crowd can get behind or rally against and that'll need to change pronto, as WWE probably aren't going to give him a lot of runway. I think this feud over Lana is the runway, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe they paired her with Dolph so she'll pick up his accent?

An File wrote: »
    At least Rusev has the advantage of being a (super) athlete. Khali can barely walk down the entrance ramp.
    He also did the classic midcard comedy act of just disappearing quietly off the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Rusev was doomed from the start with this gimmick. People can say it had more legs and it probably did but only a few months, and by then a lot of you would be sick of it. Usually what happens with those gimmicks is they start to go into overkill about being anti America and hulk hogan comes to save the day. They're boring imo.

Rusev is an unbelievable athlete and the crowd gets behind him in the ring. But he needs more if he's going to go further, and I don't know if he has any more to offer. I mean what gimmick can you give a Bulgarian guy with a strong accent? He's obviously going to have a tough time with line delivery.

If I was in charge, I'd have him as an antihero Austin esque character whereby he's not exactly a good guy but by going for glory, ie. the title, he stops the heel, while doing some shady things himself.

You could just have him get violently obsessed with John Cena, and interfere in every single one of his matches, not speak or anything anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If they were serious about Rusev, they'd have him losing Lana almost be like a rebirth for him. He has a new passion because he's lost her etc.

They could also give him a new manager and again have him step up a gear

Advertisement