Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy Tesco Hudl tablet in UK use in Ireland

Options
  • 01-03-2014 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi Guys

I've been in touch with Tesco about buying the new Tesco Hudl tablet here in Ireland, but they've told me they don't know when it will be available.

I'm popping over to the UK in April 2014 and was wondering what would happen if I bought the tablet there and brought it back to ireland. Would it work here in irealnd?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Yes it will

• Registered Users Posts: 39 digitalnative

Thank you for this

• Registered Users Posts: 39 digitalnative

Just wondering if anyone else has bought the Hudl tablet in the UK and used it back here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I have one, its a great little thing, grand for the kid watching a movie or 2 on a long drive, doubt it would be for a high class game though. havent found it a problem with anything i have thrown at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Just wondering if anyone else has bought the Hudl tablet in the UK and used it back here in Ireland?

There's nothing within the hardware stopping it working anywhere. We have one in the house and it's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 gerrykin22

Hi
    I got a hudl at christmas. Great for youtube, candycrush stuff
    like that. Haven't really done much else with it.
    Comes loaded with tesco stuff that wont work here.
    Blink box for watching movies and blink music.
    Apart from that great piece of kit for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bramblecorner

Hi

Tesco UK are adamant the Hudl 2 will not work in RoI.

Can you guys confirm they are talking rubbish??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hi

Thanks

Tablet will work fine. A couple of the preloaded Tesco apps wont but 99% of it will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hi

Thanks

There may be some apps that are restricted by location, but I suspect they will be Tesco specific.

Like this one - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tesco.grocery.view

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Is it straight forward to buy one of these using Parcel Motel?

Looks a good tablet at a decent price for my daughter.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Is it straight forward to buy one of these using Parcel Motel?

Looks a good tablet at a decent price for my daughter.

Hi

Don't know about using parcel motel. We are getting the from the North.

Hi

Don't know about using parcel motel. We are getting the from the North.

I will be using Tesco direct, how are you getting them from the North?

think they mean going up north

I will be using Tesco direct, how are you getting them from the North?

Hi

Popping into the store having reserved them on line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Hi

Thanks

As far as I know it's not sold here because there are a handful of UK specific apps on it that won't work here. It's a real shame because for the price it's a fine tablet. Maybe their business model and low price of the tablet depends on those apps being preloaded?

And yeah they are talking rubbish :D

As far as I know it's not sold here because there are a handful of UK specific apps on it that won't work here. It's a real shame because for the price it's a fine tablet. Maybe their business model and low price of the tablet depends on those apps being preloaded?

And yeah they are talking rubbish :D

Thanks yes for the money they are the best option. I am having a real to and fro with them getting them to confirm it is just the BBCi player and alike that will not work. I have friends with the first Hudl and it works ok.

It is for children well me too ... so normal social media, youtube, gaming and kindle stuff nothing too heavy.

Thanks again Stavro

it feels like a great tablet, real premium feel, though at the weekend the mil got the lenovo yoga8 tablet. battery life on that is supposed to last between 14-18 hours video usage! :eek:
    not trying to hijack your thread either, just think if there was a way you could check them both out it might help. The mil has gone back home so cant show you it. I have the dilemma that I want to get a new tablet but unsure of which from those 2. only since this weekend as well. had the mil not bought the lenovo, I wouldnt have even given it a second thought

daytob wrote: »
    it feels like a great tablet, real premium feel, though at the weekend the mil got the lenovo yoga8 tablet. battery life on that is supposed to last between 14-18 hours video usage! :eek:
    not trying to hijack your thread either, just think if there was a way you could check them both out it might help. The mil has gone back home so cant show you it. I have the dilemma that I want to get a new tablet but unsure of which from those 2. only since this weekend as well. had the mil not bought the lenovo, I wouldnt have even given it a second thought

I am open to look at other options. Nexus 7 was also recommended ..... I am not techy driven but do not think spending best part of €1k on ipads is the best option for 12 yr old boys (or their clumsy mother!).

the problem i found with the yoga was the fact that you cant get a bumper case * not that I could see anyways. that for me is a game changer right there. having a toddler, and a very very clumsy o-h means before I hand something over it must be fully protected. You can get cases for it though. I probably need to do a better search for a bumper yoga one though. And no apple product will ever make it through these doors ;)

Hi

Popping into the store having reserved them on line.

The beauty if being nearby where as I am down south so can't do that.

• Advertisement

The beauty if being nearby where as I am down south so can't do that.

I am in Mayo but for things like this it is worth the trip tbh and then you do a little more prudent shopping while you are there. And if I am in Dublin Newry is only 'just up the road' too.

:-)

the problem i found with the yoga was the fact that you cant get a bumper case * not that I could see anyways. that for me is a game changer right there. having a toddler, and a very very clumsy o-h means before I hand something over it must be fully protected. You can get cases for it though. I probably need to do a better search for a bumper yoga one though. And no apple product will ever make it through these doors ;)

Yes we definitely need bumpers as we have gone through so many handhelds that just slipped. We do have an ipad but its a work one .... other wise android all the way :-)

Thanks yes for the money they are the best option. I am having a real to and fro with them getting them to confirm it is just the BBCi player and alike that will not work. I have friends with the first Hudl and it works ok.

It is for children well me too ... so normal social media, youtube, gaming and kindle stuff nothing too heavy.

Thanks again Stavro

I wouldn't worry about what's preloaded on the tablet at all. Once you stick Google play on it (or indeed other stores) you can do what you like with it. The only restrictions you'll ever have are with certain apps in the Play store. I use the BBC iPlayer on mine and it's not available on the Irish version of iTunes or on the Play store.

I think if I owned one I'd be finding out how to root it and get the Tesco apps off it (I'm assuming they'll not make them easy to uninstall). That's another story. I'd be interested to know if anyone gets to buy one via parcel motel. I'd love one but live too far from Newry to make it worth my while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Can you point me in the direction of which Lenovo Yoga your talking about? Did a quick google and there are loads, old, new, 8, 10 inch.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

thanks, i will compare the hudl and the yoga and get one. The Nexus 7 is a little more expensive.

any other options?

You could check out the argos/tesco ebay outlets, there are some decent enough deals there, just be wary of the battery life in some of the older tabs

I wouldn't worry about what's preloaded on the tablet at all. Once you stick Google play on it (or indeed other stores) you can do what you like with it. The only restrictions you'll ever have are with certain apps in the Play store. I use the BBC iPlayer on mine and it's not available on the Irish version of iTunes or on the Play store.

I think if I owned one I'd be finding out how to root it and get the Tesco apps off it (I'm assuming they'll not make them easy to uninstall). That's another story. I'd be interested to know if anyone gets to buy one via parcel motel. I'd love one but live too far from Newry to make it worth my while.

My 20 yr old son is telling me that he (he is studying comp science as part of his degree) can clear it down and fix it so it can us different servers?????

I think I will go for the hudl, seems the best option.

thanks so much Stavro

afaik google play is already on it. it was on the first one anyways

• Advertisement

afaik google play is already on it. it was on the first one anyways

It is? That's being the case it'll work straight out of the box bramblecorner. I really wouldn't worry about the apps already on it. In my experience it's mostly TV and film apps that are restricted and that's because of copyright. Everything else will be fine. If I wanted a tablet and lived nearer to Newry I'd not think twice about buying one.

Advertisement