Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Why Music Venues Are Totally Lost"

Options

Comments

Very good article.

But let's first get rid of the pay to play venues :pac:

We could form the IMU - The independent musicians union :pac:

(I am you - geddit?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

But let's first get rid of the pay to play venues :pac:

Do you mean the gigs where bands have to buy a load of tickets up front and they don't get to play unless they sell them all on themselves? Do they really happen anymore? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheMutations

Excellent article. A musicians union could be a good start but there will always be those who try and find a way of getting around unions. Its a classic supply and demand situation where venues/promoters have a huge supply of original bands and musicians who are desparate for gigs, and will play for free or even pay to play in order to get exposure.

From a venue's point of view it means they can cover their costs and make a small profit by "hiring" a band who are playing live for the first time, and who will bring 25 friends and family. When the venue is in a position to do this two or three times a week it becomes an option for easy money. A venue owner doesn't even have to bother with quality control as there will always be another 25 friends and family eager to support the next band that begs for a gig. Unfortunately this has become the norm.

Like the article stated it is damaging for a venues long term survival but also damaging for an original music scene, as quality is sacrificed for how many friends an up and coming band has; as opposed to genuine fans. The flip side is that genuine fans of original music get an inferior product, and go somewhere else to listen to quality music.

I think a possible option to end this pattern would be for musicians to seek out and work with venue owners and promoters who are genuinely interested in promoting quality up and coming original acts. Together they would come up with a long term viable business plan where musicians are well paid, and there is a high level of quality control from a musical point of view. A top notch product, marketed well, will attract the punters.

When one venue starts raking in the cash from this type of set up others will inevitably follow suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

FYI a Musician's Union already exists within SIPTU, and it is largely useless.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    FYI a Musician's Union already exists within SIPTU, and it is largely useless.

Is that not for professionals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I have noticed a trend in the last year or two where bigger venues are now paying these smaller bands to do free late gigs. Started with Button factory, Whelans now do late live upstairs, Cyprus ave in cork did something similar for a while and i'm pretty sure still is. Roisin dubh always had the strange brew on thrusdays which is free but i admit if your a new band your hard pressed to get a gig that night unless you know gugai.

I currently love the idea of these byob venues where people pay an entry fee that covers venue costs (€350) and rest for band. Some of them are better than others but I envisage a good few more of these venues pooping up over next year or two.

Also the idea of these old government buildings being used for artists etc.

Advertisement