Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samoa Joe & WWE etc

• 26-05-2015 10:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

Happy to say I was ahead of the curve in posting about this arrangement between Joe and NXT:
    Ring of Honor announced on Twitter that Samoa Joe is returning to the promotion on June 20th. June 20th is the date of the promotion’s TV tapings following the Best in the World PPV. As previously reported, Joe’s deal with WWE allows him to work indy shows.

Joe then followed up by posting:
    https://twitter.com/SamoaJoe/status/603014005163171840

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Maybe Joe can join the Bullet Club in RoH and then bring some "friends" to NXT! Now thats some real fantasy booking :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

They could come and keep interfering in matches and people keep wondering is Finn Balor involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Or they come to take out finn for leaving!

Well, remember when Christian & Gangrel first appeared & it was uncertain if Edge was a member?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

LeeJM wrote: »
    Maybe Joe can join the Bullet Club in RoH and then bring some "friends" to NXT! Now thats some real fantasy booking :cool:

Ah stop being greedy ya sh*t! :p

Devitt,KENTA,Steen,Generico,PAC and Joe. This is more than any of us prob ever expected. Also, Owens is feuding with John freakin' Cena of all people!

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ah stop being greedy ya sh*t! :p

Devitt,KENTA,Steen,Generico,PAC and Joe. This is more than any of us prob ever expected. Also, Owens is feuding with John freakin' Cena of all people!

It really is crazy when ya think about it. Seeing Joe working for RoH and WWE, is it possible they have a deal almost like the WWE ECW deal back in the 90's? Would make sense from a WWE stand point and probably in RoH's best interests too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

It really is crazy when ya think about it. Seeing Joe working for RoH and WWE, is it possible they have a deal almost like the WWE ECW deal back in the 90's? Would make sense from a WWE stand point and probably in RoH's best interests too

I've been thinking there's some arrangement too, given that they've interviewed ROH personnel, and used ROH footage in the past. They regularly acknowledge ROH's existence too

Paging Rovert! Rovert we need an answer. You got any inside scoop or has any deal ever been acknowledged or talked about?

WWE have to know it doesn't hurt them if they acknowledge the existence of other companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Paging Rovert! Rovert we need an answer. You got any inside scoop or has any deal ever been acknowledged or talked about?

I don't think any money is changing hands under the table. Obviously WWE hasn't squashed or gutted. ROH has changed hands 3 times ownership wise and is 13 years olds so the dynamic has changed a few times. WWE has done ROH various "solids"over the years. ROH is just respected that's all really.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    I don't think any money is changing hands under the table. Obviously WWE hasn't squashed or gutted. ROH has changed hands 3 times ownership wise and is 13 years olds so the dynamic has changed a few times. WWE has done ROH various "solids"over the years. ROH is just respected that's all really.

What "solids" have they done for them? All I can think of is Foley showing up in 03 or 04 and Im not even sure if he was under a contract then and Punk staying on for the "summer of Punk" after he'd signed his developmental deal

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

They've used ROH footage in Punk/Bryan/Shield docs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

They had an interview with Maria on their website a few months ago too. Did they mention ROH in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Lesnar/Joe please

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Joe working at tv tapings was not something I expected. Are they looking at a full time deal now ROH got a decent tv opportunity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

DM_7 wrote: »
    Joe working at tv tapings was not something I expected. Are they looking at a full time deal now ROH got a decent tv opportunity?

Looks like he's already signed a main roster exclusive deal. http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_85367.shtml

His t-shirt apparently sold well which was probably another factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ageyev wrote: »
    Looks like he's already signed a main roster exclusive deal. http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_85367.shtml

His t-shirt apparently sold well which was probably another factor.

Have to say I'm shocked by wwe these days and especially given Joe a run in the main roster.

Dare i say it but things are looking good in wwe and they look like they know what their doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I felt Joe was being brought in to occupy a role similar to rhyno as a sort of trial thing, honestly I still do and think he's been incredibly lucky with wwe so far; his abrupt move to the forefront of nxt largely coming down to the run of injuries they've had and his main roster contract being largely due to the destination america deal with roh calling for a contract rewrite.
    Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but it's awfully fast and surely must cause issues with the guys toiling away in nxt for ages (eg. how long ago was uhaa nation signed? Has he even debuted?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I honestly felt Joe

That's nice, tell us more about these feelings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I felt Joe was being brought in to occupy a role similar to rhyno as a sort of trial thing, honestly I still do and think he's been incredibly lucky with wwe so far; his abrupt move to the forefront of nxt largely coming down to the run of injuries they've had and his main roster contract being largely due to the destination america deal with roh calling for a contract rewrite.
    Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but it's awfully fast and surely must cause issues with the guys toiling away in nxt for ages (eg. how long ago was uhaa nation signed? Has he even debuted?)

No disrespect to Uhaa in particular and actually most of the NXT guys you mention Joe has been on US National TV for the last couple of years with TNA he's a known name where as most non smarks wouldn't have a clue who Uhaa, Tyler Breeze , Corbin and the likes of them are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

yeah i kinda think to say that joe is lucky is a bit of a stretch - owens came in the same way really - albiet that he had one match before going after sami - Joe is a name - he is recognisable - and the fact that he isnt 3 years off tv will make him relevant to young americans who watch WWE & TNA - rather than the guys that are on TNA, then go to Japan for a few years etc only to come to WWE then!

They are saying one of the reasons they moved to main roster contract is because of the level of sales on his t-shirt already..... Joe is from the same group as Punk, Bryan and he will excel if giving the chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I think the only way he could be considered lucky is that he appears to have been the first person since Punk to keep his own name. It goes to show there is value in letting some of the more established wrestlers on keeping the name they built up for themselves. If Joe had shown up with some "Joey of Samoa" merch as opposed to "Samoa Joe" merch I can guarantee those sales wouldn't have been as impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

must have been able to keep his name cos of the P/t contract they initially put him on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

No disrespect to Uhaa in particular and actually most of the NXT guys you mention Joe has been on US National TV for the last couple of years with TNA he's a known name where as most non smarks wouldn't have a clue who Uhaa, Tyler Breeze , Corbin and the likes of them are

Being a known name from TNA is something that would typically stand against you in the wwe though. I don't buy that wwe initially brought him in with the plan of a prominent spot on the main roster, I don't think Joe himself really would have expected to get one either (hence the somewhat experimental contact that he got instead).

Not saying he doesn't deserve the opportunities, it's great to see things go well for him and styles after wasting years in tna. I could have easily seen it all going in a totally different direction with Joe and WWE if things panned out differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Split from the news thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

gimmick wrote: »
    Split from the news thread.

That went well!

Advertisement