Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get gig posters designed? (Dublin)

Options
  • 26-02-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi guys,

anyone knows a graphic designer in dublin that can design posters without break the bank?

We already ask around various graphic design studios, the lowest quotation we got is 100€ without printing.

Before going the DIY way we would like to know if there is somebody cheaper out there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Why not do it yourself?
    I do mine in Photoshop. Get a decent photo, then add text etc.. Crop it to whatever size you want, and either email it or bring it in to a printer on USB.

I get my posters colour printed in Reads. It's surprising cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ElectricTaurus

Thanks man.

We will end up doing ourself. We were looking for something a little bit different that require a graphic designer.

Thanks for the Reads tips anyway.

Reads are more expensive than Oval Displays on Aungier St.

Can't recommend them enough.

My mate does all my posters and logos for me. PM if you want his email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

My husband does this kind of work freelance, I dont know what kind of music you do but he is mostly into heavy metal/dark gothic type stuff. He advertises in Terrorizer magazine.

PM if you want his website address to see his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

Maybe i can help, what kind of design you looking for? I can also print it for you. What size posters you looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hi guys,

anyone knows a graphic designer in dublin that can design posters without break the bank?

We already ask around various graphic design studios, the lowest quotation we got is 100€ without printing.

Before going the DIY way we would like to know if there is somebody cheaper out there.

Thanks

€100 is very good value, when you consider all the time the designer needs to put into talking to you and creating a brief, concept generation, producing artwork, making amendments as per your whims, preparing artwork for print, paying tax, cost of computer equipment, software licenses, rent, heat, food (this is good for keeping the designer alive while completing your work) etc...

To be honest it sounds like you want a professional job done, but aren't willing to pay professional fees. You would probably spend that money on drink for the band, but you won't spend it where it matters...

If your posters aren't worth spending €100 on, then get some markers in aldi and some photocopier paper.

Hi man,

I love when people pass judgements on the net while not known the full circumstances, but what you going to do, is the net, isn't it?

I take offence from one of your sentence and I would like an apology from you.

I ‘am a recording and mixing engineer, with a rig (software , licences, hardware) worth around 15K, and I used to run my own recording studio for 3 years before shutting down last December.

I know all about how is hard right now for people run their own business and that if you want a professional job you should pay for it.

You said that I prefer spend my money in drinks rather than pay for what it matters, i take offence from your statement, because you don't know how much my band music matter to me.

First we never drink before/during our shows because our only focus is our music, and after the show we normally load the gear and drive home.

The main issue is that our budget is tight, we are organizing a gig and we will pay for the venue/engineer and for the video recording of the night and the posters.

I just posted to check my options, I can always ask a friend who is practical with photoshop to do the job, but before I'll like to see if there is somebody out there that maybe wants to earn the 60/70€ in my budget.

Is not that I don't want to pay for a professional job and prefer to drink the money instead, I just have to deal with a small budget.

what irritate me is the fact that you immediately have to judge me, I understand your concerns but not the way how you express them.

A good reply could have been:

sorry dude but you will have an hard time find a professional working under 100€

or

I think is better you ask one of your friend and give him 50€

or

download gimp and try yourself, nobody will do a job for less than 100€.

I hope that you realise that with your post you are basically saying that I ‘am a bum or a freeloader which I'm certainly not.

a graphic designer in dublin that can design posters without break the bank?
    I'm still shocked that you consider this 'bank breaking
    We were looking for something a little bit different that require a graphic designer.
    You admit that you require a professional job, but you won't pay €100! If I was costing this job - using a junior designer to produce the work, I would be charging you a whole lot more than €100 euro. Again it come down to the value you place on the gig you want to promote...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    You would probably spend that money on drink for the band, but you won't spend it where it matters...
    I stand by this statement. Do you ever have a drink together? If so there would be a cost involved. I never stated that you drink on the night of a gig.

I love when people pass judgments on the net while not known the full circumstances, but what you going to do, is the net, isn't it
    I have only passed judgement on the comments you made. If you and your band never have a drink together that is your business, but my opinion stands

I take offense from one of your sentence and I would like an apology from you.
    Take offense all you like. You are unlikey to get an apology from me. I would like an apology for all the graphic designers who you have disrespected by publicly devaluing their potential benefits they can provide your band.

I ‘am a recording and mixing engineer, with a rig (software , licences, hardware) worth around 15K, and I used to run my own recording studio for 3 years before shutting down last December.
    So you understand what it is like to run a small business and realise the value of a days work?

I know all about how is hard right now for people run their own business and that if you want a professional job you should pay for it
    You haven't displayed any respect for that knowledge anywhere in these posts

You said that I prefer spend my money in drinks rather than pay for what it matters, i take offense from your statement, because you don't know how much my band music matter to me
    I'm sure your band and music mean allot to you, I don't know how that ever arose in the discussion!? As for the having a drink comment, please see above. I drink with my workmates, but not during the working day...

First we never drink before/during our shows because our only focus is our music, and after the show we normally load the gear and drive home
    Good for you

The main issue is that our budget is tight, we are organizing a gig and we will pay for the venue/engineer and for the video recording of the night and the posters
    wow, the cost of a venue, engineer and recording team sounds expensive! no wonder you don't have any budget for design... But this raises the question, if you are paying for the venue, then surely you are entitled to the ticket or bar revenue? Therefore, the more promotion you do the more potential revenue you can earn from the gig? The posters could potentially drive up revenue if well designed, yes? €100 sounds like petty cash in this instance.

I just posted to check my options, I can always ask a friend who is practical with photoshop to do the job, but before I'll like to see if there is somebody out there that maybe wants to earn the 60/70€ in my budget
    why not give it to your mate, if he is practical with photoshop - you're unlikely to get a design that will set the world alight with that budget

Is not that I don't want to pay for a professional job and prefer to drink the money instead, I just have to deal with a small budget
    Thats fine, if you don't have the budget don't look for professional work.

what irritate me is the fact that you immediately have to judge me, I understand your concerns but not the way how you express them
    I have only judged the comments you have made, I'm sure you are a fab person.

A good reply could have been:...
    My reply was good, and expressed what I wanted to say. I didn't want to make any of the three comments you have listed...

I realise I have made assumptions - but they are based on the comments you have provided for discussion. The realities are that you are organising a gig, will pay the engineer, pay for the venue (??? this is a whole other discussion but very questionable practice), but you don't want to pay much for a service such as design, which is ultimately very beneficial to your venture.

I gave it to my friend, I will not set the world on fire.

Mods lock the thread thanks.

I gave it to my friend, I will not set the world on fire.

Mods lock the thread thanks.

Mods, please leave the thread open, some pertinent points have been made and maybe others would like like to discuss the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Although I agree that the work of a designer is always undervalued and under rated (much like a writer)...I dont understand why the first reaction of nearly all boardsies is to attack the op.

Well enough, if somebody wants to keep on discuss the subject mods keep it open.

I was not attacked, everybody gave suggestion from the "go DIY" to "Maybe I can help you" or "here is my friend details give him a shout" other took the "you are bum and you a disgrace for the business" road but nobody attach me.

To be honest I never disrespected any graphic designer, I just came here to have a different options Graphic Student/Graduate, freelance guy that just started off. I did not said that "these guys are overcharging" or "for the simple job that they have to do, it will cost me a fortune!!!!" and did not expected a top/normal graphic designer or studio to reply.

Sometimes hoovering in the music production subforum I see people enquiring about rates for mixing and recording, I normally send a pm to them and check their budget and maybe adjust accordingly, I even worked for free if I liked the music or for a smaller compensation.

Maybe I wrongly phrased my OP, still I don't deserve the judgemnets.

If I could afford it I called immediatly Snap Print(I used them in the past) and paid the 70/80€ hour they normally charged.

Graphic is important and i know how much time is spent for designing Posters/CD Covers and the lot, I never understimated or dimished the work of anybody.

I don't want to continue the debate at this point even though you do raise more discussion in your latest post. I do however wish you would refer to what I have actually said rather than making false assumptions about what it is you believe I intended to say. My language thought is clear, so please do not associate comments with me that I did not make or even imply.
    I love when people pass judgements on the net while not known the full circumstances
    you are completely misrepresenting what I said. I have only judged your comments.

You said that I prefer spend my money in drinks rather than pay for what it matters
    no I didn't
    your post you are basically saying that I ‘am a bum or a freeloader which I'm certainly not.
    No they aren't, I never said that.
    you are bum and you a disgrace for the business
    I never even implyed this
    Maybe I wrongly phrased my OP, still I don't deserve the judgemnets
    If you come on to a discussion forum you should expect discussion based on your comments

Man what you want me to say?

3 users before you understood my request and gave me tips related to the subject, other two send me a pm asking about my budget.

You came in and stormed the thread, i replied because out of your first post the impression is simple, you told me that I would rahter keep the money for more drinks for the band than pay for a professional job that is not the case.

If you wish to keep on the discussion about graphic designing or about my suppose misconceptions feel free, but if we continuing arguing on who is right it's better lock the thread, and we can continue in private, I like constructive critique and I like to hear it.

As I said 70/80€ per hour graphic designing it's fine, but sometimes people swim in bad waters and need to look for alternatives.

Matt

Closed due to tit for tat bickering bull$hit.

If you want to start a thread that's about budgeting for your gig, feel free to do so.

\personal note:
    I won't accept line by line disseminations of someone's post by way of argument. From past experience, that gets tedious to read, and the original debate flies off into the distance. Never to be seen again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The thread is locked now but for future reference please use the Report Post icon report.gif to make sure that us mods actually get a notification. Simply posting "Please lock this" may not result in anything being done because us mods may not spot it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement