Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Professional Musicians?

• 24-02-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭

How many professional musicians are here?

I'm curious because I'm passionate about music and am trying to work out the potential for a career in music. I haven't encountered much practical advice so far. Most hasn't gone much further than - 'Just do it and if you're good you might make it.'

So here I just want to gauge the music scene in Ireland and elsewhere. Who makes money off music? Who makes enough money to live on? Is it from an establishde band or session work? Covers, or originals? Is popular music the way to go or are there more opportunities in classical, jazz etc.?

I know that the music industry is hard to get into and I've no illusions as to how much hard work and commitment is involved. I'd like to hear stories and advice from people who have experience playing music professionally in whatever form it may take. Hopefully I can gleam some useful info for myself and others who are also thinking about this. (Also any pointers on other useful resources would be great, I haven't found much online!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Those I know who make money (to live) do either (as well as..) DJing, session work, cover bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

'Just do it and if you're good you might make it.' is fairly sound advice. You need to be in the right place at the right time to make any money of your own creativity, either that or buy some nice clothes and play pop music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

There are courses out there to help also. Check out BIMM. Im doing a Diploma there at the moment and would difenately recommend it. As with anything tho, you get out of it what you put in but very useful course.

http://www.bimm.co.uk/dublin/

Advertisement