Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bands and Musicians compilation Album/EP

• 04-02-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Has the community ever tried putting one together?
    Would there be interest in it?

The whole thing could be documented and then used as a template/guide for other bands using the board.
    Say 10 bands who regularly use the forum contribute a track each.

I'd be up for giving it a go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

That sounds like a great idea but someone would need to manage the whole thing which I could see being very time-consuming.

I'd definitely be interested in helping out though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea my band are currently writing original material so if we have them recorded(properly) we would love to get involved and id liked to give a hand in anything if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I did something like this before. it worked well actually. I had the free time so I put together a download only compilation. it was very well received and had a load of great stuff on it too.

I had the intention of making it grow but I got way too busy with college stuff and knocked it on the head after 1 edition.

But yeah, if you're gonna go ahead with this i'd be more than happy to help out (also, my band would be more than happy to contribute a track :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I like the idea. A free download only compilation would be the best buzz I reckon. I'd love to stick a track in too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Sounds like a neat idea.
    Bandcamp could be used to distribute the Compliation originally, as it has an optional "donate to download" style feature. Any funds generated through that could be used to finance the capital required for a limited run of physical copies. Although, I imagine that would be quite time-consuming, and probably more hassle than it's worth.

Either way, I'd be interested in contributing, for sure. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Great Idea.

Have a few tracks there that need listening to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Great idea. Fling would be interested. Happy to help in any way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

We'd also be delighted to supply a track. It would be brand new off an as yet unreleased album.

If the 'artists' would be happy to sign them away we could promote them to film-maker etc on Boards for use in their productions.

I'd be happy to do it anyway if our track was selected.

whoops...double post

that's the 1st time i ever did that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Nice, I'm interested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Nice bit of interest going on.

Some nice ideas too.
    The one about making it available online to buy which would fund physical pressings is a nice idea but I think it would not work as surely the majority of your potential market has already bought the product?

Would it be worthwhile having a pressing of a CD?
    The trend I see (and do myself) is to either buy an online download or a physical vinyl.
    Off the top of my head and in no particular order (I'll make up a proper list later) those needed would be:
    1) Designer: for artwork
    2) Engineer sound guy/gal type person to master the tracks so there is no huge jumps in quality from one to the other.
    3) A promotion type person to advertise the album.

As a first time venture, it may be easier to set some small goals and say make it a download only, free to download album/ep and see what all that entails. If that proves too easy (and they never do) then do it again with higher goals.

Those that are interested in organising/helping out, if you can PM me I can set up some sort of meeting. Likewise with those that are interested in contributing tracks.

I defo think free download is the way to go. I don't think pressing a compilation like this would be worthwhile. Artwork and promotion would be easy enough to handle! Defo like the idea of actually having them mastered together rather than just collecting .wavs and putting them in the same .zip folder. Maybe we could post over in Music Production when we have a more solid plan together.

(What might/would be really cool is actually getting some Boards collaboration going on, like we talk about it on here, team up, and make original tracks specifically for releasing together. Actually I'd ****in' love to do that. But let's jump off that bridge when we come to it ;) )

rcaz wrote: »
    I defo think free download is the way to go. I don't think pressing a compilation like this would be worthwhile. Artwork and promotion would be easy enough to handle! Defo like the idea of actually having them mastered together rather than just collecting .wavs and putting them in the same .zip folder. Maybe we could post over in Music Production when we have a more solid plan together.

I'd like to document the whole "making of" thing, even just a diary because as you say, things that seem "easy enough to handle" can turn out to be a right pain in the balls :) It can be used as a reference here. I was thinking of asking over on the production forum if anyone would be up for doing the mastering.

The ugly topic of money will have to arise at sometime as it so often does.
    As will choosing the tracks to put on it...... (see edit)
    rcaz wrote: »
    (What might/would be really cool is actually getting some Boards collaboration going on, like we talk about it on here, team up, and make original tracks specifically for releasing together. Actually I'd ****in' love to do that. But let's jump off that bridge when we come to it ;) )

That would be interesting, something I would definitely limit to a 4 track EP at the very most because talking about it and getting it done are two very different things. I'd be up for that too. I've a fair bit of studio equipment and work with other people over the internet so I'm used to it.

(EDIT: I wrote the reply to your second part first and while writing the reply to the first got an idea while bringing up the point of what tracks to choose. What about actually starting from scratch and ask a few bands to come up with a song each on a certain theme, a concept compilation EP if you will. We can open a soundcloud account (for free) to host them and then put it to a vote on the forum for the community to decide which tracks they'd like to see on the EP. Concept EP also lends itself to the artwork. The more I think about it, the more I like it. An example could be somethng such as Nick Cave's "Murder Ballads", so a loose theme that doesn't deem what type of song or style it will be [if you take the "ballads" part of the title with a pinch of salt])

(Edit Edit:: A theme as well would also give a USP for promotional work.)

All great ideas except for the idea of a vote! Votes don't work in this capacity. All votes do is make a band tell all their family and friends to go vote for them regardless of whather the track is sh*t or not.

It's like those competitions "The band with the most Facebook likes gets X".

MrStuffins wrote: »
    All great ideas except for the idea of a vote! Votes don't work in this capacity. All votes do is make a band tell all their family and friends to go vote for them regardless of whather the track is sh*t or not.

I was thinking about that and wanted to speak with the mods, cause I don't even know if this is possible, but maybe limit it to people over a certain number of posts or have a register to vote where the first (for example) 100 people who registered each get to vote. if there's 10 bands then they list their favourite from 1 - 10.

Or 10 well known posters are randomly chosen from a pot of 50.

I'm certainly open to suggestions and would like to avoid that whole facebook spamming malarkey that goes on.
    After all, it's only a bit of fun I would imagine. I don't think anyone's going to be doing a world tour off the back of it :)

yeah I think the way to go might be to just put together a panel of people from the Boards or whatever and get them to decide between them. No outside votes. I dunno though, as long as it doesn't turn into one of those "Vote for my band to win a packet of Meanies" things.

Vote for my band to win a packet of Meanies?

*I've nothing against meanies. Nice crisps whatever the hell they are.

I agree with MrStuffins.

assemble a panel of knowledgeable musos with good spread of eclectic tastes among them etc so no one will favour one genre over another etc. and hopefully they would be as impartial as possible given the very good chance that they would know some of the applicants.

if you leave it up to a vote, its a guarantee it'll turn into a farce - and you'd likely be forced into putting your name on a compilation you weren't happy with ye know?

most of the respected artistic merit awards i can think of are decided by panel voting.

Vote for my band to win a packet of Meanies?

*I've nothing against meanies. Nice crisps whatever the hell they are.

Meanies are awesome!

Mega Meanies are where it's at. they're Meanies....... but Mega!!!

The voting system aside, What's the opinion on the EP being based on a concept?

If there's enough bands with finished tunes ready to go, that can be done as well.

• Advertisement

Can I issue a challenge?

How about A Christmas Album in aid of SSF?

Been aaaaages since we've had a good new Christmas song...

Not too sure my sunny disposition could hold up to listening to christmas songs without a mountain of alcohol, and a shotgun.

You want a challenge though...

(And think of the reciprocals!:D)

It being February, and if this goes well, I'm sure there's be planty of time to do another one christmas based well before time.
    It (SSF) would also have good potential for marketing and promotion (Jesus, what have I become? Must listen to Bill Hicks for some soul cleansing.)

Think of it this way:

A: It's for a good cause (good Karma all round, yay)
    B: It's a boards event, so we could tie in the music production forum, the marketing forum, the photography forum (we basically have everything we need under one roof)
    C: People will buy it as it's for a good cause, linked to boards etc.
    D: It could chart, giving whoever contributes a good leg up
    E: It's an interesting challenge for song writers

But if you we're looking at doing it for this Christmas, you need to start getting organized now. People need to write songs, polish them, record them, get them mastered, Artwork needs to be done, etc. etc. etc.

I had a meeting last week about a Christmas Market for this coming Christmas.

Think of it this way:

A: It's for a good cause (good Karma all round, yay)
    B: It's a boards event, so we could tie in the music production forum, the marketing forum, the photography forum (we basically have everything we need under one roof)
    C: People will buy it as it's for a good cause, linked to boards etc.
    D: It could chart, giving whoever contributes a good leg up
    E: It's an interesting challenge for song writers

But if you we're looking at doing it for this Christmas, you need to start getting organized now. People need to write songs, polish them, record them, get them mastered, Artwork needs to be done, etc. etc. etc.

I had a meeting last week about a Christmas Market for this coming Christmas.

I didn't think I'd like the idea at the start, but it could be really cool when you put it all like that. And I ****in' love a good Christmas song. If we had a really well-planned out full-on campaign for a Christmas thing, we could still slap together a general-purpose compilation of Boards tunes for spring/summer.

The themed idea is cool and all, but if we just gathered a load of existing song from Boards bands as a first go, we could see if it works. Then we could have the themed one and the Christmas one in the works based on how the first one goes.

It'd be really good to have something defining this forum as a community aside from just being a forum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea i think if we can get different areas of the forums involved it could do well and as said if its for a charity it could do very well .

If it came to the gigs/event/launch what about doing a series of gigs with different bands etc could that work?

I'll have to pass on the christmas thing. Can't commit to a yearlong endevour. The small goal EP(s) is enough to keep me happy for the while.

I definitely think that Christmas thing is a goer! Although it's Feb, so I reckon we could do both!

Get this EP up and running before/by summer, plenty of time to put together a Christmas thing after it gets out there!

Also, I love Christmas songs and would have a great time writing one as a contribution!

(After all, my band Manhattan actually got together through Boards!)

• Advertisement

The voting system aside, What's the opinion on the EP being based on a concept?

If there's enough bands with finished tunes ready to go, that can be done as well.

I missed this post...

concept album would be interesting as well. hopefully not something too cliched or obvious like poverty/breakups/social justice etc...

perhaps other stuff like

toast
    airplanes
    space
    hallucinations
    staplers

...some of them are patently ridiculous clearly. but you get where I'm going.

would be more challenging for the artists working from scratch too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

I missed this post...

concept album would be interesting as well. hopefully not something too cliched or obvious like poverty/breakups/social justice etc...

perhaps other stuff like

toast
    airplanes
    space
    hallucinations
    staplers

...some of them are patently ridiculous clearly. but you get where I'm going.

would be more challenging for the artists working from scratch too.

tea? I could write about 7 albums about tea.

Parsley wrote: »
    tea? I could write about 7 albums about tea.

+1

but i thought that was an obvious one :pac:

Any more on this? I could get the wheels turning if this has stalled?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

MrStuffins wrote: »

In complete agreement here, I hate the whole Facebook 'like' craic. Put's me off so many places and so many venues and competitions.
    The audience vote is another flawed bit of rubbish.

Not the most regular of posters on here, but keep an eye on it a lot. I like the idea of a compilation album and would love to put my band toward it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Esy

Invite track submissions, get a committee to decide which go in, make them free to download and you're done. If an announcement could be made as to when you are looking for tracks I would be much obliged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement