Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A discussion on the rules.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Nodin wrote: »
    ... However "Today Brian Cowan unveiled (yadda da yadda) - this will cause absolute chassis because (etc etc)" Is this man a total gobshite" would strike me as fair comment.

I wouldn't suggest that anybody should be in trouble for posting something like that, but I think it would lead to a better quality of discussion if people exercised a little more restraint. When language becomes intemperate, and when people (rather than their actions) are attacked, the issues become obscured.

Very few people are so overwhelmingly bad that nothing good can be said about them, and very few people are so consistently good that nothing bad can be said about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

...all things in moderation, so to speak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

turgon wrote: »
    Considering that only a small minority speak Irish well enough to converse in it, and that those who do speak Irish can also speak English, I think the use of Irish should be banned with the exception of Irish phrasing.

The only reason otherwise to use Irish is to intentionally make your self misunderstood which is bad form. I think there is no merit in using it, but ye might disagree.

Then again, just the way English speakers feel a sense of relief when speaking in their language, Irish speakers feel a similar sense when they express themselves in their language. Are Irish speakers to be denied their freedom on what is supposed to be a discussion forum on Irish politics?

As per the above logic, I think the use of big English words should be banned because they are intentionally designed to be esoteric and I think there is no merit in people not speaking in simple plain English. What are they hiding? Are they trying to insult us? They all can speak in plain English - every one of them. It's bad form indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

You give me an example of one boardsie who cant speak English, and then maybe I will consider your point.

You give me an example of one boardsie who cant speak English, and then maybe I will consider your point.

There are quite a few who seem to have difficulties in writing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

That's a non sequitur. The natural conclusion to your logic is as above. You are trying to institutionalise your own prejudices. There are plenty of posters who contribute here using language which is not simple, straightforward English. What are they trying to hide? Why can't they speak plainly? "Bad form" indeed.

I shouldn't have to look up a dictionary to understand these people. Everybody should communicate in a way that satisfies my own intellectual limitations. How dare they try to humiliate me on Boards.ie. How dare they.

And, yes, how dare anybody try to imply that Irish speakers have just as much right on Boards.ie as me. This pernicious development must be stopped or Boards.ie will be destroyed. We must resist these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Rebelheart wrote: »
    There are plenty of posters who contribute here using language which is not simple, straightforward English. What are they trying to hide? Why can't they speak plainly? "Bad form" indeed.

I shouldn't have to look up a dictionary to understand these people. Everybody should communicate in a way that satisfies my own intellectual limitations. How dare they try to humiliate me on Boards.ie. How dare they.

For anyone to look up an individual English word is very straight forward. There are any number of plug-ins for firefox to help with that.

But for me to try and translate a whole Irish sentence, let alone an entire in-depth and complicated post on politics, I would need an Irish-English dictionary or try to find a decent online translator. Either way, chances are the grammar is going to be all over the place, which would involve a lot of decoding to try and put a bit of context to the post.

For discussions in Irish then either the Gaeilge or Teach na nGealt forum would suit your needs.

Rebelheart wrote: »
    That's a non sequitur. The natural conclusion to your logic is as above. You are trying to institutionalise your own prejudices. There are plenty of posters who contribute here using language which is not simple, straightforward English. What are they trying to hide? Why can't they speak plainly? "Bad form" indeed.

They are trying to hide nothing. The fact remains rebelheart that very often it is easier to communicate in "high-brow" English than it is to communicate in "low-brow" English. This might be especially true on the political theory forum, where such terms as the "means of production," and the "dictatorship of the proletariat" can simply not be avoided.

Finding out the true meaning of an English sentence is quite easy: input the sentence into Google and ate the right had side you will see each word with a link. Click this to get a definition.

Internet translations are not nearly as accurate. But you seem to insist we be allow speak in Irish, despite the fact most dont speak it.

So would it also be ok to speak in Deustch? Or I am I right in guessing that your determination to speak as Gaelige is solely from a nationalistic disposition? In meinir Meinong, das ist nicht so gut. Verstein sie?

And before you hit the German translator, I have intentionally misspelt those words to highlight the falacy that online translators are readily used.

I don't know if it is worth getting het up about this question. The language dominantly used here is English, and I see no likelihood of that changing. If somebody chooses to post wholly or partly in Irish, or German, or Polish, or Mandarin, then it must be done with the acceptance that it will not be understood by everybody participating in the forum.

If somebody does it enough to be a major irritant, then the moderators can, well, moderate.

[Even though I think I don't know German, I understood turgon's post. My German is so limited that the misspellings are not an obstacle.]

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The fundamental problem with people posting in a language that one or more of the moderators don't understand is that it limits the ability of the moderators to manage the forum.

The wider problem with posting in a language that a substantial percentage of posters don't understand is that it excludes them from the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

well its nice to know there has been bias here since at least 2007

so - less bias please?

as to language - can one post in irish if they provide a translation if one or more ask for it?

so - less bias please?
    I've made it clear to you on several occasions that if you have a complaint about a moderator, or indeed about all the moderators (it's not clear who you're complaining about here) that you should take it to the Help Desk. So far, you've failed to do so.
    as to language - can one post in irish if they provide a translation if one or more ask for it?
    No. There are Irish-language forums on this website; this isn't one of them. Posting in a language that other posters don't understand doesn't facilitate discussion, and this is a discussion forum.

well i didnt mention anyone - but i think they would know who

again - do you intentionaly misread posts and/or ignore parts of them?

translation - see above

well i didnt mention anyone - but i think they would know who

again - do you intentionaly misread posts and/or ignore parts of them?
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss the rules of the forum. If you have a problem with the moderation of the forum, you can start a Help Desk thread.
    translation - see above
    To expand on my previous point: this is a discussion forum, and anything that inhibits discussion is unwelcome. If a post requires translation before it can be discussed, that inhibits discussion.

Sure, it's an Irish forum, but there is much discussion of international topics. Should I allow discussion of ישראל or فلسطين in their native languages, as long as someone is willing to offer a translation? Personally, I don't think so.

is ישראל or فلسطين a native language to ireland?

if the post has a translation it doesnt inhibit discussion

like how i translated my posts in the other thread - when you stated you didnt like it.

i also translated others - altho you were the only one against it (?)

would that in future be acceptable to you?

is ישראל or فلسطين a native language to ireland?
    No, and not everyone who reads and posts here is native to Ireland. Further, many people who are native to Ireland do not understand the Irish language.
    if the post has a translation it doesnt inhibit discussion
    If a post has to be translated, it inhibits discussion.

There are two possible scenarios arising from your translation proposal: either everything posted in Irish has to be translated into English, which defeats the purpose of posting in Irish in the first place; or some Irish posts don't get translated, in which case those who don't understand Irish are excluded from the conversation, and discussion is inhibited.

The more straightforward approach is to require that people simply post in English. This doesn't in any way inhibit discussion.
    like how i translated my posts in the other thread - when you stated you didnt like it.

i also translated others - altho you were the only one against it (?)

would that in future be acceptable to you?
    No, and I think I've made it abundantly clear why not.

many dont understand english - if they arent irish or from an english speaking country

if i want to post in irish and english - will the post be deleted, edited or left alone?

many dont understand english - if they arent irish or from an english speaking country
    People who don't understand English are unlikely in the extreme to be using this website.
    if i want to post in irish and english - will the post be deleted, edited or left alone?
    I'd rather you just posted in English.

oh i have a fair idea of what you would rather.

i asked whether you would delete, edit or leave the post alone

• Advertisement

OB, I think you are being a little too rigid on this.

I make a distinction between rules and laws. A rule is generally applicable, and a law is always applicable. I suggest that posting in English be treated as a rule, and that using words, phrases, or even whole sentences in other languages be tolerated in appropriate contexts (like threads discussing the use of Irish) so long as the poster uses English as the main vehicle for communication.

As to any concerns about moderating, we have the facility to report posts. If somebody posted something inappropriate in Irish, there are a number of people around who could report it and explain what the problem was.

[On the point of inhibiting discussion, I observe that there are posts here in what appears to be English, but which I find incomprehensible.]

exactly no one is going to go into a thread about the eu commission and be like

''is maith liom é......srl......srl.....srl...''
    ''i like it......etc.........etc.........etc....''

I make a distinction between rules and laws. A rule is generally applicable, and a law is always applicable. I suggest that posting in English be treated as a rule, and that using words, phrases, or even whole sentences in other languages be tolerated in appropriate contexts (like threads discussing the use of Irish) so long as the poster uses English as the main vehicle for communication.
    I generally let those slide - they are potentially exclusionary, while not necessarily being too disruptive.

I will note that this discussion arose from a comment I made on a recent thread, which included some posts entirely in Irish. Such posts tend to prompt side conversations in Irish, which go against the grain of the forum.

For the avoidance of doubt, I have no trouble reading and understanding posts in Irish.
    As to any concerns about moderating, we have the facility to report posts. If somebody posted something inappropriate in Irish, there are a number of people around who could report it and explain what the problem was.
    True, but it's only part of the issue. This forum has at least one moderator who isn't Irish and doesn't understand any Irish at all. Posting in Irish restricts the ability of the moderator team to work effectively.
    [On the point of inhibiting discussion, I observe that there are posts here in what appears to be English, but which I find incomprehensible.]
    You and me both.

i asked whether you would delete, edit or leave the post alone
    Just to add: I'm not being rigid on this. conchubhar1 is trying to nail me down to a rigid position, which I'm consciously avoiding.

i am asking in general if it is an irish related topic - could i post in irish and english without it being deleted or edited?

yes or no? so i know whether to bother

I've answered the question as specifically as I'm going to.

• Advertisement

so you wont give me an answer. i will therefore continue as if and continue to post as the thread dicatates

so you wont give me an answer.
    I've given you an answer.

To illustrate my point: the charter forbids insulting other posters. It doesn't contain a list of words and phrases that are considered insulting - that's a judgement call on the part of the moderators.

Equally, I've explained why posting in Irish can be a problem, and I'll continue to make judgement calls as I see fit.
    i will therefore continue as if and continue to post as the thread dicatates
    I have no idea what that sentence means.

could i post in irish and english without it being deleted or edited?

What would be the point?

Also, who says people will offer a correct translation? You might say in English "good point" while your Irish is calling me a gob****e. I am not fluent in Irish and would not understand.

I dont see what peoples issue with Boards being an English language website is. Its is .ie, but we all know that 99.999999% of Irish people speak English whereas a minority speak Irish. So the logic is to have it in English.

So why would you want to post in Irish, other than to intentionally mislead the non-Irish speaking majority?

i would not intentionally or otherwise mislead anyone.

as to what the point would be - i think that is obvious.

oB - it means that if another thread comes up and i feel irish would be understood and wanted in that particular thread
    i will post in that thread bilingualy - as you have not given me an answer

as to what the point would be - i think that is obvious.

Not to me?

• Advertisement

becuase irish is the language i use - and want to use (as do others - hence i wouldnt be chatting to meself)

becuase irish is the language i use - and want to use (as do others - hence i wouldnt be chatting to meself)

By that standard can I invite my polish neighbours to all set up Boards accounts and talk about Politics in Polish?

is this boards.pl?
    is polish the national language of ireland?
    dont be silly?

... So why would you want to post in Irish, other than to intentionally mislead the non-Irish speaking majority?

I have posted in Irish, and had no intention of misleading anybody (something that is not always true of some who post in English).

I did it to affirm the validity of the language as a means of communication and I did it in a discussion on the use of Irish. And I also did it to rattle the bars of conchubhar's cage.

And I also did it to rattle the bars of conchubhar's cage.

:):):) what? :confused::confused::confused:

rattle my cage - i liked the fact you used irish, gave me an excuse to use it

without getting banned!

is this boards.pl?
    is polish the national language of ireland?
    dont be silly?

So your being an idealist. Im being a pragmatist.

... i liked the fact you used irish, gave me an excuse to use it

without getting banned!

A chonchubhair, a chara,

You were naughty to use Irish. Don't try to transfer the blame to me. ["But, but, but, Sir -- he started it."]

not transfering blame - its just if i started using it it would almost definitely have resulted in a ban.....

a breithneicha (oh is that how it is spelt?)

So your being an idealist. Im being a pragmatist.

indeed

Care to expand upon what your meaning of "pr" is?

I put it into the acronym finder and got 163 results so Im slightly puzzled.

• Advertisement

it means your just being silly - this is ireland.

drag any other language in you want - you are still being silly if you do tho.

oB - it means that if another thread comes up and i feel irish would be understood and wanted in that particular thread
    i will post in that thread bilingualy - as you have not given me an answer
    I'd rather you didn't. If you want to discuss political topics in Irish, there are at least two forums on this site where it is appropriate for you to do so. If the topic of a thread is the Irish language, it's entirely likely that one of those forums is an appropriate venue for it anyway.

If you post bi-lingually, you'll be inviting others to reply in Irish, which they will, which goes against the grain of the rule I'm espousing here.

You're trying to push me into a hard-and-fast rule on whether or not posting in Irish will be tolerated at all. I don't want to be pushed into that. I think I've made my position sufficiently clear.

it means your just being silly - this is ireland.

And you have just proved what I was on about.

For all I know you called me a prick, and your "translation" was inaccurate. However I presumed it accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

so - less bias please?

Conchubhar1, if you continue to complain about the moderation on this forum in this forum I will ban you. Please take it to the Help Desk where said complaints are meant to go.

Regarding Irish, the average person in this country cannot read it at a level that's conducive to political debate. I'm raising my son through Irish and am married to a native speaker of the language so believe me when I say I've no bias against the language, however; posts in this forum should be through English so that a) everyone can understand them and b) all the moderators (including one non-Irish moderator) can read them and understand them fully. Posting in Irish here is not allowed, please do so in Teach na nGealt which is a forum dedicated to discussion of topics through the medium of Irish.

This post has been deleted.

I think Ill give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

oscarBravo wrote: »
    This forum has at least one moderator who isn't Irish and doesn't understand any Irish at all.

I get the distinct impression that the individual concerned is being used as the scapegoat for the prejudices of somebody else. I know of nobody who has arrived in Ireland and expects the Irish to stop speaking/writing in Irish just to facilitate their arrival.

nesf wrote: »
    Conchubhar1, if you continue to complain about the moderation on this forum in this forum I will ban you. Please take it to the Help Desk where said complaints are meant to go.

Regarding Irish, the average person in this country cannot read it at a level that's conducive to political debate.

The "average person in this country" doesn't go near boards.ie. Should we therefore outlaw boards.ie?

"Posting in Irish is not allowed". What year is this: 1537? 1366? How dare you issue a diktat to an Irish person to not speak Irish in Ireland on a board which claims to be Irish. Ridiculously patronising.

By that standard can I invite my polish neighbours to all set up Boards accounts and talk about Politics in Polish?

Is this Poland? Again, stop using some poor foreigners as the scapegoats for your own prejudices. Foreigners in Ireland, having mastered at least two languages, are usually more open to Irish language and culture than the average English-speaking monoglot in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,605 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Ο σκοπός boards.ie είναι να συζητήσει και να επικοινωνήσει. Η ταχυδρόμηση σε μια γλώσσα που κανένας δεν μπορεί να καταλάβει είναι στην καλύτερη περίπτωση άχρηστη και στη χειρότερη περίπτωση σκόπιμα αποδιοργανωτικός εκείνου του στόχου.

Think that should explain why posting in Irish (or any other language other than the vernacular) is not helpful.

But yeah, fight the power!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement