Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to reformat external harddrive from NTFS to FAT32?

• 13-08-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭

Just bought a 1.5 TB external harddrive and of course it's NTFS. Want to use it with the PS3 and the 360 so it needs to be FAT32. I'm running Vista if it makes a difference, any help appreciated. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Right click on Computer shortcut in start menu>Manage>Disk Management, Locate hard drive, right click it, Choose Format, and Choose FAT32 for file system, a Quick format will just format the drive, without checking for errors, it will be much quicker, so probably worth choosing that option!

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

use the format command in the command prompt. type in
    Format D: /FS:FAT32
    or E: or whatever the drive letter is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

wobzilla wrote: »
    use the format command in the command prompt. type in
    Format D: /FS:FAT32
    or E: or whatever the drive letter is
    Tried that earlier and it said I don't have the user privileges even though this is the only account on the computer, first time I've had such a problem.
    yoyo wrote: »
    Right click on Computer shortcut in start menu>Manage>Disk Management, Locate hard drive, right click it, Choose Format, and Choose FAT32 for file system, a Quick format will just format the drive, without checking for errors, it will be much quicker, so probably worth choosing that option!

Nick

Only options it's giving me is NTFS or exFAT, is exFAT the same as FAT32?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

have to use http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm for anything bigger than 32gb .. will lose all data

zod wrote: »
    have to use http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm for anything bigger than 32gb .. will lose all data
    Nothing on there matches what's coming up when I try to do it.
    There's a guide on Disk Management here You need to find the disk with unallocated space. Right click on it and select "New Partition" and follow these steps, clicking "Next" to get move on at each stage.
    Partition Wizard starts, just click next to move on
    Found the disk and right-clicked, "New Partition" wasn't one of the options.

• Advertisement

Just downloaded Swissknife but for whatever reason it's only giving me a choice of formatting in NTFS or FAT16, not FAT32. FFS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks for that, it seems to have worked, though a ****load of errors came up when it was finished. Afraid to trust it tbh. :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's always worked for me. Never got any errors.

It's always worked for me. Never got any errors.

Well the laptop, PS3 and Xbox are all reading it fine and the laptop is showing that all the space has been formatted so it should be grand, thanks again, can finally get downloading again. :)

• Advertisement

No bother man. Glad to see it worked.

Advertisement