Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking at a relatively basic new PC

• 13-08-2009 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Thinking of getting a new PC in a month or two. It doesn't have to be a monster by any stretch, but I would like it to have a decent Processor, Video Card and Ram. I won't be playing top of the range games on it etc., but one good test is I'd like it to run Microsoft Flight Simulator X at full graphics settings and get a fast, smooth frame rate.

Anyhow, I was looking at this one :

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=DRS54503&l=en&m_30=111787&oc=D004503&rbc=D004503&s=dhs

In case the link doesn't work it's a Dell Inspiron 545 with an Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor ( 2.5Ghz, 4Mb Cache, 1333MHz FSB ), 4Gb Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz Ram and 512Mb ATI Radeon HD 4350 Graphics Card. The total is €519 ( as I'm not getting a monitor ).

I also have an option of spending an extra €70 for an nVidia GeForce GT220 1Gb graphics card instead.

So, basically, is that good spec for that price? I'm happy with the price ( i.e. I can handle spending €500 ) but I'd like to make sure it's going to do the job for me. As FSX is 3 years old I'm hoping that spec should do me?

I've the option of 32Bit or 64Bit Windows Vista. The little I know of 64Bit suggests to me that it should handle the 4Gb of RAM ( and more if I upgrade in future ) better than 32Bit. But if I'm using a PC for Word / Excel, Internet browsing and a few games ( like FSX ) should I go 64Bit or 32Bit?

Finally, should I go with Vista or look at Windows 7?

Thanks in advance for all advice...

J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yo,

That looks pretty fantastic for that price. you might want to make sure you get MS Office bundled with it though, and a wireless/cable router (whatever your prefs. are). Also, I WOULD actually get Windows 7. The transition to Windows 7 is apparently going to be as big as the transition from Windows 2000 to Windows XP (i.e. - it marks a fundamental change in the OS structure). As such, I think you should wait a while to get one with Windows 7 on it.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Kevster wrote: »
    Also, I WOULD actually get Windows 7. The transition to Windows 7 is apparently going to be as big as the transition from Windows 2000 to Windows XP (i.e. - it marks a fundamental change in the OS structure). As such, I think you should wait a while to get one with Windows 7 on it.

Gonna have to +1 on this idea,try holding out for Windows 7,its out in October and is a much,much better OS than Vista (I used the RC), just a waste of time using Vista now then buying 7,just my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your replies... I already have Office, so don't need that bundled, and already have the Wireless Router too ( and Monitor ). I think I'm leaning towards spending the extra €70 for the nVidia 1Gb card, if I can afford it, there's no harm in buying a bigger spec if I can!

I have heard good things about Windows 7, and won't be able to buy the PC for a couple of months anyhow so waiting won't be a problem ( well, when I say that, I don't *want* to wait, but I have to! ).

So that just leaves 32bit v 64bit. Which should I go for? Thanks!

J.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

New machine with 4GB RAM no reason not to go 64bit IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yeh, just get the 64-bit too. All PCs will eventually use that. I think you should be thinking long term really. I bought my current PC way back in 2000 but it's still quite good/powerful even today. That's because I put the investment in for a long term thing. So, I think you should have that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Cool...

Thanks a lot for your advice! I'll get the 64Bit Windows 7 ( Home Premium probably ), and I'm pretty much happy with the CPU and RAM. I've asked a separate question in the Graphics forum to help me decide on a graphics card. Now I just have to wait a few months 'til I have the money!

J.

Advertisement