Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do computers get slow......?

• 13-08-2009 12:10pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

* I always thought that no matter how old or slow a computer gets, if you wipe it and reinstall the OS, it should be just as quick as the day it came out of the box. Is this true or do they degrade / get slower when they are 3+ years old?

My PC at home is probably 5 years old, I wipe it every 6 months or so and its still fine, but my work PC and one other, seem to be grinding to a halt, despite a recent reinstall on both…

So, do they?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

They get heavy the more data you put on them ;)

Could be some parts suffering 'wear and tear'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I usually just oil and replace the spigot every couple of months and it runs fine. Never had a problem with it slowing down ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

It is possible that the some hardware perhaps the HDD is beginning to creak a little. It is the same OS as was first installed 5 years ago? If not it may just be that every newer OS version needs a little more computing power than the previous (although Vista and Win 7 seem to be an exception to this rule thankfully) and is a little too much for some older PCs.

Final answer, I'm not sure.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,116 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Reformats and Dusting. Components need cleaning over time. Dust is a heat issue and a big component stress factor.

That, and programs from 2009 are not optimized to run in the parameters of hardware from 1999. When I format XP on my uncles old Win2k machine, its zzzzzippy. Then by the time youve added Avast and Spybot, its almost at a halt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Don't think computer gets slower the more you use it, well maybe a very very very tiny bit. Its more to do with the harddrive been filled with crap and cleaning it does help.

But over the years that u have it, you put newer software on the computer which requires a faster computer to run then the one you have. Makes the computre feel slower even though its just as fast as the day you bought it 5 years ago.

The only thing that i can think can slow down your computer or the major factor would be a harddirve. And over time im sure they do go slower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

From a usage point of view: no

From a scientific point of view yes: Certain parts break down and "wear and tear". A simple example is that a certain part of your hard drive might get corrupted and your pc might automaticly spend time fixing it or recovering data.

I don't think it's even remotly noticable unless you benchmark it intensivly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Do computers get slow……?

Could be your just looking at it a bit quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mack81

What colour is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It is possible for an ageing computer to be come measurably slower due to a failing hard drive (slow i/o) or failing cooling (processor down-clocking). I was looking at one old PC recently that had become slow - in reality it just wasn't getting enough cooling and the processor was having to run at reduced clock speed. Most older computers have fairly close to the original hardware performance they had when they were new.

The big problem is software. Pretty much every major release of any piece of software makes it more processor intensive. A five year old computer is struggling with a modern web browser or full-HD video let alone all the other stuff that's running unseen on most modern computers. Someone may thing that they're putting it back to day one with a re-install but most of the applications they're running are far heavier than they were when they first started using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

question better phrased like this ? :

EXACT same software on a PC new and 5 years old ( using imaging software ) .. will the PC performance be the same after 5 years of hard use.

Logically no!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Do Macs suffer from the same slowdown that you get in Windows PCs?

Same ****, different Operating System. Theres nothing physically special about macs. No flux capacitors or master control crystals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No master control crystal?!? What the fu(k is this then? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Your Windows pc will always slow with time as the OS thats originally on it is nothing like the patched and service packed version You end up with over time. You also need to keep a windows pc decluttered

Take for instance a 5 year old Pentium 4 pc running Windows Xp, this could have easily ran XP on 256-512MB ram when originally bought, after 3 service packs for XP its barely able to run on 512MB, would struggle. Also the software running would also have been patched and upgraded, Internet Explorer from version 6 to latest version 8, Windows Media Player from version 9 to latest version 11 etc etc. which all require much more memory.

Incidentally though:

http://gizmodo.com/5334818/there-are-levels-of-survival-windows-7-is-prepared-to-accept

edit: comments in link are hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Your Windows pc will always slow with time as the OS thats originally on it is nothing like the patched and service packed version You end up with over time. You also need to keep a windows pc decluttered

Take for instance a 5 year old Pentium 4 pc running Windows Xp, this could have easily ran XP on 256-512MB ram when originally bought, after 3 service packs for XP its barely able to run on 512MB, would struggle. Also the software running would also have been patched and upgraded, Internet Explorer from version 6 to latest version 8, Windows Media Player from version 9 to latest version 11 etc etc. which all require much more memory.

Totally agree, I added an extra 2 gigs to my 2005 Dell Dimension 8400 which is 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 and on XP SP3 and it gave it a great boost altogether. My computer is absolutely littered with rubbish and of a 250GB Harddrive I have 930MB free! (awaiting 1TB additional drive) to try and consolidate all the stuff I have had to farm out to the laptop and various external harddrives and DVDs.

It is still my workhorse after 4.5 years (considering I paid like €1500) and had a 4 year warranty up until last January so I am happy with it.

It has not had windows reinstalled since 2007 and I am dreading having to do it when the new hardrive arrives as I have so much stuff to reinstall and arrange things like before, last time I did it, it took me almost a day!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Totally agree, I added an extra 2 gigs to my 2005 Dell Dimension 8400 which is 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 and on XP SP3 and it gave it a great boost altogether. My computer is absolutely littered with rubbish and of a 250GB Harddrive I have 930MB free! (awaiting 1TB additional drive) to try and consolidate all the stuff I have had to farm out to the laptop and various external harddrives and DVDs.

It is still my workhorse after 4.5 years (considering I paid like €1500) and had a 4 year warranty up until last January so I am happy with it.

It has not had windows reinstalled since 2007 and I am dreading having to do it when the new hardrive arrives as I have so much stuff to reinstall and arrange things like before, last time I did it, it took me almost a day!

You could still use your 250GB as the boot drive and just use the 1TB for data. I'd say the 1TB would a bit faster than the old 250GB though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

You could still use your 250GB as the boot drive and just use the 1TB for data. I'd say the 1TB would a bit faster than the old 250GB though.

Problem is I partitioned my 250gig Hardrive and my C: drive where Windows is located is almost full wheras most my stuff is on D: I haven't used Partion Magic or anything so am not to well up on joining partitions.

I'd prefer to do a clean install anyway, its like visiting the dentists, you don't want to do it but sooner or later you just have no choice. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Problem is I partitioned my 250gig Hardrive and my C: drive where Windows is located is almost full wheras most my stuff is on D: I haven't used Partion Magic or anything so am not to well up on joining partitions.

I'd prefer to do a clean install anyway, its like visiting the dentists, you don't want to do it but sooner or later you just have no choice. :rolleyes:

Lol. Good analogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Is the work PC on a domain?

• Advertisement

mack81 wrote: »
    What colour is it?
    Good point. If its red it goes 1" faster every movement phase.

Advertisement