Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suitable Headwear

• 28-01-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Gentlemen,

I have recently become employed in a different section to the one i am used to. In my old profession i was allowed wear what ever i wanted, which was great. Now though, in my new profession i must wear a suit, and where i used to keep my head warm by either pullin up my hood or throwin on the tea cosy. I fear i can no-longer warm my head.

As i also have to look respectable and "smart" i must gel my hair. Im 25 and am wondering, what headwear can i wear without ruining my beautifully gelled hair, but also stay warm and classy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Don't think there's any headwear you can wear with a suit,cowboy hat maybe?or a peak cap if you were an oul fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

ya id be all over a peaked cap if i was older, but i just dont think i could get away with one....and not look like a traveller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

IK09 wrote: »
    ya id be all over a peaked cap if i was older, but i just dont think i could get away with one....and not look like a traveller

depends on what you wear it with though.
    Maybe try a fedora.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Can you explain a bit more about what you do where you are required to wear a suit yet are presumably somewhere cold enough that headwear is required?

I don't imagine any place where suits are expected would be happy with any type of hat being worn inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Can you explain a bit more about what you do where you are required to wear a suit yet are presumably somewhere cold enough that headwear is required?

I don't imagine any place where suits are expected would be happy with any type of hat being worn inside.

I don't quite get it also. Where do you work that requires you to wear a suit but its very cold? Or are you somebody who always wears something on their head regardless of the situation?

I don't think its common/proper etiquette to wear a hat indoors, especially in a formal or professional environment so i'm going to presume you are outside most of the time.

You can always wear a proper hat with a suit but make sure you go to a hat shop to get somebody to help you pick out the right hat for you head or body type and to match your suit, otherwise...

enhanced-buzz-3808-1338481254-7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

With a suit? Grey felt fedora with plenty of brim, snapped down in front. Doesn't matter what colour the suit is; the had must be grey. On no account have feathers or anything else in the hatband. Avoid a pork pie hat unless you are a jazz musician (and, even then, think twice). Avoid a homburg unless you are Hercule Poirot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you considered the possibility of wearing a nice cosy wig over your hair? Just leave it at your desk, pre-gelled.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

OP, meet facial hair and hats. Facial hair and hats, meet the OP. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Old gangster style suit with a hat,super cool...weaponry optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

hey guys

thanks for all the suggestions. im a financial consultant so i work in an office but, alot of the time im out meeting people, and my head is always freezing. The last thing id want is the situation hazys talking about, the majority of people who wear that style think they look good but look terrible. i would have to punch myself if i failed to look good.

I dont want people thinking im carrying a tommy gun, i just want a warm head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

IK09 wrote: »
    hey guys

thanks for all the suggestions. im a financial consultant so i work in an office but, alot of the time im out meeting people, and my head is always freezing. The last thing id want is the situation hazys talking about, the majority of people who wear that style think they look good but look terrible. i would have to punch myself if i failed to look good.

I dont want people thinking im carrying a tommy gun, i just want a warm head

I'd say the majority of people who wear hats just randomly pick one up in a shop and throw it on, so its extremely hit or miss (with more misses).

I don't wear hats myself but i know one or two people that do and look pretty stylish, they go a dedicated hat shop and ask for assistance in picking out a hat that suits them. Try it, you have nothing to lose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Best idea is to match it to your coat, since you'll probably always be wearing that if it's cold enough for a hat. So go in somewhere with the coat that you will wear the most when it's cold and try a few out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

TBH, a black beanie in your coat pocket will be fine. Even business folk feel the cold.

Advertisement