Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice Needed: Bleeding while on toilet

• 25-07-2012 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Just looking for a a bit of advise.

My 63yr old Dad tells me last night he's been bleeding while/after he poo's on toilet. He then tells me it's been happening for about a year now on & off, went away for a few weeks/mths but is now back recently. He says he's not in pain but finds it hard at times to pass a poo.

My Dad is a real Irish man, passing it off "I'm grand", but I'm quite mad he's left it this long to tell me, I'm concerned as I've just burried my mother-in-law 8wks ago who passed away from cancer which started in colon, my mind is starting to race now.
    Anyway my dad has a gp on paper, but hasn't seen him in years (dosen't do check-ups). I'm going to go with him today/tomorrow when I get the gp's times, but I'm not sure what to get the doc to check him for? Piles, polops, prostrate, cancer etc.
    • Should I insist he gives him a letter for the hosptial to get a colonoscopy?
    • He's no health Ins, how long would he have to wait on public list?
    • Can doc give him a letter for private hopo like Hermitage Medical Clinic, Lucan, we live in D.22 & how much would private cost?
    Many Thanks In Advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

Just tell the doc the symptoms. He'll know what to look for

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Very important for him to go to the doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Doctor tbh. Can be one of many things so it's not a job for the interweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes he def needs a doc. My dad had the same and he went to the doc eventually and lets just say, he really needed to go to the doc and he should have went sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Just looking for a a bit of advise.
    €00000
    My 63yr old Dad tells me last night he's been bleeding while/after he poo's on toilet. He then tells me it's been happening for about a year now on & off, went away for a few weeks/mths but is now back recently. He says he's not in pain but finds it hard at times to pass a poo.

My Dad is a real Irish man, passing it off "I'm grand", but I'm quite mad he's left it this long to tell me, I'm concerned as I've just burried my mother-in-law 8wks ago who passed away from cancer which started in colon, my mind is starting to race now.
    Anyway my dad has a gp on paper, but hasn't seen him in years (dosen't do check-ups). I'm going to go with him today/tomorrow when I get the gp's times, but I'm not sure what to get the doc to check him for? Piles, polops, prostrate, cancer etc.

He definitly needs to see his GP, I've no idea of the public waiting lists, but with regards the private costs,
    I've just recieved the a copy of the health ins. claim for my endoscopy up/down + scan + biopsy it totaled €1872.
    • Should I insist he gives him a letter for the hosptial to get a colonoscopy?
    • He's no health Ins, how long would he have to wait on public list?
    • Can doc give him a letter for private hopo like Hermitage Medical Clinic, Lucan, we live in D.22 & how much would private cost?
    Many Thanks In Advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

aujopimur wrote: »
    I'no idea about public waiting times, I've just recieved a copy of my health ins. claim for an endoscopy, up/down, scan and biopsy €1872.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

OP, while I sympathise with your situation here, this isn't really the place to ask for advice.

You do however seem to have things well covered and are asking the right questions. First step, go with him to the GP and take it from there. This could be nothing, this could be something, until the Doc has a look, no one will know.

Best of Luck OP :)

Cheers

DrG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement