Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Male Sexual Assault exceeds Female Sexual Assault in 2008

• 08-02-2012 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

^Couldn't edit the title, meant to put in "In America"! up there!

I found a really interesting blogpost on American Prisons, here's an excerpt:
    N+1 wrote:
    In January, prodded in part by outrage over a series of articles in the New York Review of Books, the Justice Department finally released an estimate of the prevalence of sexual abuse in penitentiaries. The reliance on filed complaints appeared to understate the problem. For 2008, for example, the government had previously tallied 935 confirmed instances of sexual abuse. After asking around, and performing some calculations, the Justice Department came up with a new number: 216,000. That’s 216,000 victims, not instances. These victims are often assaulted multiple times over the course of the year. The Justice Department now seems to be saying that prison rape accounted for the majority of all rapes committed in the US in 2008, likely making the United States the first country in the history of the world to count more rapes for men than for women.

So I looked up RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network) (http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/frequency-of-sexual-assault) and the stats they have on sexual assault are that there is an average of 207,754 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year. I don't think this includes prisons as the data on prison rape have only recently been gathered.

It's mad isn't it? It seems so counter-intuitive, ask the average person on the street and they'll probably tell you the vast majority of sexual abuse victims are female, but apparently not.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Piste wrote: »
    It's mad isn't it? It seems so counter-intuitive, ask the average person on the street and they'll probably tell you the vast majority of sexual abuse victims are female, but apparently not.

I think its mainly what gender the rapist is expected to be is what most people would be inclined to focus on, more so than that of the victim.

But that's purely an assumption on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh yeah, most people will assume the perpetrator is a man for sure. I would have thought that most people would think (maybe it's just me!) that most victims are female, I found the stats to be quite suprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

With domestic abuse/violence it's similar. Everyone thinks of the battered wife but it's close enough to a 50/50 split.

I'm not going to compare groping in a club with rape but studies often do to suit themselves. Under such definitions I don't know a single fella who hasn't been "sexually assaulted" since they turned 16 and I assume it's similar for women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

People might be interested in this link.

http://www.spr.org/

Most people, like me, will be horrified at the concept of rape as part of the penalty. Unfortunately it seems acceptable or even desirable to many that those convicted of crimes, especially against the person, be subjected to sexual torture and abuse.

You only have to read certain threads in AH to realise that many absolutely revel in the idea of prisoners being abused by other prisoners, repeatedly and viciously.

Its very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dr. Manhattan

How useful is it to compare those stats though? Prison society is not indicative of anything compared to normal society, the stats for theft and non-sexual assault, for example, would be disproportionate too. It's a population of criminals, cooped up together all day, some of whom have no prospect of release or any kind of reward and therefore less reason to behave according to the rules of normal society. Prison is not likely to make them better behaved, if anything it's giving them greater opportunity to commit these crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It's useful to show the stats because it's indicative of the scale of the problem. I mean people know that sexual abuse occurs in prison, thinly-veiled references to dropping the soap are made in TV shows and films all the time. When the absolute numbers of sexual abuse victims in the prison population (a group of 2 million people) exceeds that of the entire population (312 million) (an absolutely huge discrepency) it has to be cause for alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's useful to show the stats because it's indicative of the scale of the problem. I mean people know that sexual abuse occurs in prison, thinly-veiled references to dropping the soap are made in TV shows and films all the time. When the absolute numbers of sexual abuse victims in the prison population (a group of 2 million people) exceeds that of the entire population (312 million) (an absolutely huge discrepency) it has to be cause for alarm.

I don't think something can be a cause for alarm (edit: as in "alarm" among the general public) and reliable source of off-colour humour at the same time?:confused:

I doubt the average joe-soap in the US would be overly disturbed. Probably think the prisoners deserve it.:(

Advertisement