Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

" I don't know how he does it" Modern Dad-life

Options
  • 04-12-2011 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this in the IT and thought well , last Monday night I spent waiting around for my dancing daughter at the physio while she was getting a sports injury checked.

Dinner out with the OH cancelled.
    The Irish Times - Saturday, December 3, 2011I don't know how he does it

• 1224308317975_1.jpg?ts=1323005786

WORKING LIVES: Working mothers are a modern phenomenon, but men who ask for flexibility in the workplace so they can have a decent home life are often treated differently to their female colleagues. ROISIN INGLE talks to several working fathers about paternal leave, father stress and how to keep careers on track while caring for the kids
    WE’RE WELL USED to hearing about working mothers who want to have it all, but what about working fathers? Just like working mums, they wish there were more hours in the day, worry about juggling family and work commitments and feel guilty about compromises they are forced to make. Some have arranged more flexible working arrangements to fit in with family life and others dream about the day when men and women can share paid paternity leave.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2011/1203/1224308317975.html

So its an excuse to talk dadstuff and what dads do -the fountain of knowledge and giver of life and money and all that.

And well its Christmastime too so its a nice time of year for a chat.

I know my adult student kids look at me curiously so maybe it should not be limited to Dads but experiences of being a son or daughter too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

I cant make much sense of your post, so I'm going to assume you're hammered drunk at 2pm on a Sunday. If so, congrats on living the modern dad-life :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Tails142 wrote: »
    I cant make much sense of your post, so I'm going to assume you're hammered drunk at 2pm on a Sunday. If so, congrats on living the modern dad-life :p

Nope, still in bed :p

A little recognition & acknowledgment from you for providing the country with its young people who according to all politicians are the countries national resource will do.:D

I found the article very funny really and it will baffle the thousands of Dad's doing things like bringing their kids to things like rugby or GAA on a Sunday or stocking up with Miller or Cider for the Xmas before the budget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tails142 wrote: »

I can't make much sense of the Original Post either. What is this thread about??:confused:

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I can't make much sense of the Original Post either. What is this thread about??:confused:

I read an Irish Times article this morning about being a father & posted an extract and a link.

The article is a little off beam as being a Dad is something you do like being a pet owner.Like, me collecting my daughter from the physio, something you do when you are a parent.

I did find the article interesting enough to post a link to it.

Two reasons, the fathers it interviews are very well off and include a Director of Diageo & that it should not be a shock to anyone becoming a father that they need to do things.

So the thread is about fatherhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

CDfm wrote: »
    Two reasons, the fathers it interviews are very well off...

well it is the Irish Times. They're hardly going to write an article about problems of more average sorts of dads, or parents.

e.g. they've had alot of articles about the legal issues surrounding arranging surrogacy in other countries recently - very much an "alpha" problem imo!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

CDfm wrote: »
    I read an Irish Times article this morning about being a father & posted an extract and a link.

The article is a little off beam as being a Dad is something you do like being a pet owner.Like, me collecting my daughter from the physio, something you do when you are a parent.

I did find the article interesting enough to post a link to it.

Two reasons, the fathers it interviews are very well off and include a Director of Diageo & that it should not be a shock to anyone becoming a father that they need to do things.

So the thread is about fatherhood.

Good article CDFM, Thanks for posting the link.

Before I became a father myself, I worked long hours and often (if I'm honest) resented at those people who availed of flexible working arrangements. Since becoming a father I have appreciated a flexible work pattern and am very happy to give extra back to a flexible employer.

It is sometimes hard trying to get a healthy work-life balance.

fly_agaric wrote: »

e.g. they've had alot of articles about the legal issues surrounding arranging surrogacy in other countries recently - very much an "alpha" problem imo!:rolleyes:

Oh right, I really knew I was a father when I had to buy a bigger boat . :D

I really didn't think about that.

Serious discussion with the girlfriend about whether we will have a party for the tribe of my offsprings friends. :)

Advertisement